Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2023, 11:40 AM   #741
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Bump

I moved to the US last year. Have to travel to find stream trout, (with the exception of stocked ponds and guys casting on top of one another, not my cup of tea) but bass are everywhere. I have yet to go fish, but planning to go out soon with a couple buddies from work.

Anyone ever snagged a bass on a fly line? My fly rod I brought with me from home is a #5, I could maybe use it but if it broke I'd be a sad panda as it was a gift from my dad. From what I can gather a heavier rod is needed not so much for the bass vs a trout, but for dealing with the different, heavier flies needed.

Anyone have any experience with Lamson Guru S hd reels? It's a full cage, I ordered a #7 to pair with a 9', #7 fast action TFO mangrove. Might try and get a second spool and wind on a sinking line, as we are in some pretty good heat and may have to drag line down a bit in the water. Never used sinking line, always fished the top (sometimes trout like it when flies sink a little though) so there will be a learning curve I'm sure. Especially stripping.

Excited to try for a ditch pickle!
I've caught bass on the fly, and you're in for a treat! They fight hard, and it's awesome. I haven't caught anything particularly large, but it really didn't matter to me. I think my rod was a 5wt at that point, and I guess it depends on what size bass you have a shot at there.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 11:46 AM   #742
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never caught one before, just heard they are aggressive eaters and fighters. So should be magic on a fly rod! I'm not sure on sizes here, honestly I just want to catch fish anyways. Good to know you made a 5wt work though, if I don't like the feel of the 7wt that makes me feel a little more comfortable using my 5wt. Never used anything heavier than a 6 so we will see how it goes.

Everything is different down here compared to what I grew up with and am used to. Going to go from being concerned about bears along the water to cotton mouths.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:54 AM   #743
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I may have bad info, but I was told the Elk River (Sparwood/Fernie) is closing to all traffic pretty quickly here. Apparently water levels are so low that it would be too hard on the river life to allow fishing/swimming/boating etc.

Water levels are CRAZY low on it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #744
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry guys, gotta say it here cause I’ll get KO’d at work if I do. Fishing for sport is an abhorrent practise that should not be tolerated.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:23 PM   #745
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Bump

I moved to the US last year. Have to travel to find stream trout, (with the exception of stocked ponds and guys casting on top of one another, not my cup of tea) but bass are everywhere. I have yet to go fish, but planning to go out soon with a couple buddies from work.

Anyone ever snagged a bass on a fly line? My fly rod I brought with me from home is a #5, I could maybe use it but if it broke I'd be a sad panda as it was a gift from my dad. From what I can gather a heavier rod is needed not so much for the bass vs a trout, but for dealing with the different, heavier flies needed.

Anyone have any experience with Lamson Guru S hd reels? It's a full cage, I ordered a #7 to pair with a 9', #7 fast action TFO mangrove. Might try and get a second spool and wind on a sinking line, as we are in some pretty good heat and may have to drag line down a bit in the water. Never used sinking line, always fished the top (sometimes trout like it when flies sink a little though) so there will be a learning curve I'm sure. Especially stripping.

Excited to try for a ditch pickle!
I'm a self admitted trout snob, never had much of an interest in the other stuff. Hopefully you can find your way to a trout stream at some point. Sorry not much advice on the bass for you.

Since you are down south maybe see if you can find some hillbilly hand fishin? ;-)
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:33 PM   #746
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I'm a self admitted trout snob, never had much of an interest in the other stuff. Hopefully you can find your way to a trout stream at some point. Sorry not much advice on the bass for you.

Since you are down south maybe see if you can find some hillbilly hand fishin? ;-)
Oh same here. I've never cared much for fishing lakes, and certainly not for anything other than trout. I heard there's some good river spots down here for trout in the southern part of the state. Will have to go check that out but for now I'm just missing fishing.
Years ago I went out fly fishing off a small boat for pike. It was fun, but.. pike.
Some guys do the handfishing... I guess it's better than going at midnight with shotguns and a flashlight? I'll stick to the fly rod.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:40 PM   #747
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh same here. I've never cared much for fishing lakes, and certainly not for anything other than trout. I heard there's some good river spots down here for trout in the southern part of the state. Will have to go check that out but for now I'm just missing fishing.
Years ago I went out fly fishing off a small boat for pike. It was fun, but.. pike.
Some guys do the handfishing... I guess it's better than going at midnight with shotguns and a flashlight? I'll stick to the fly rod.
Yeah I caught a pike on a fly rod a number of years ago too. It was kind of exciting for the first moment where it fought but after that it felt like I was dragging a tire in. Then you have to deal with the nasty teeth/mouth to release the thing. That was it for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 02:59 PM   #748
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never caught one before, just heard they are aggressive eaters and fighters. So should be magic on a fly rod! I'm not sure on sizes here, honestly I just want to catch fish anyways. Good to know you made a 5wt work though, if I don't like the feel of the 7wt that makes me feel a little more comfortable using my 5wt. Never used anything heavier than a 6 so we will see how it goes.

Everything is different down here compared to what I grew up with and am used to. Going to go from being concerned about bears along the water to cotton mouths.
Well good luck! I just want to say that I can't guarantee that the rod is sufficient, but I didn't have any issues. I don't want to be responsible for a sentimental rod snapping though! (Usually, fish don't break rods...it's snags and trees that do it)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:49 PM   #749
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Elk River press release

https://www.e-know.ca/regions/east-k...the-kootenays/

Water temperatures In these systems are peaking at approximately 20 C in the afternoon to evening. Angling fish at these elevated temperatures has been demonstrated to have harmful, and sometimes lethal, effects on fish, and any fish released after being caught will have difficulty recovering.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 04:31 PM   #750
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I caught a pike on a fly rod a number of years ago too. It was kind of exciting for the first moment where it fought but after that it felt like I was dragging a tire in. Then you have to deal with the nasty teeth/mouth to release the thing. That was it for me.
I always enjoyed going ice fishing for pike, but now that I think about it maybe I just enjoyed the drinking part ha.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:38 PM   #751
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well good luck! I just want to say that I can't guarantee that the rod is sufficient, but I didn't have any issues. I don't want to be responsible for a sentimental rod snapping though! (Usually, fish don't break rods...it's snags and trees that do it)
Thanks! I'll let you know how I make out. Goodies for the new rod might not show up in time for this weekend, and I'm not sure I wanna risk taking the old girl out. Youre right, its not fish its everything else... I know what to expect in the waters back in the mountains, not so much down here. Maybe just play it safe, run to Bass Pro and grab a spinning reel and rod combo and fish like every other dufus this weekend.

Its sposed to rain all week, if it clears up by Saturday they should be hungry. Otherwise maybe sneak out Sunday.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:27 PM   #752
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, CP. I impulsively bought a small Yamaha outboard motor for my dinghy boat, as the Minn Kota troller I have doesn't really move it well. But now I have a problem I didn't think of: how to transport it? I don't own a pickup truck. My raft and all of its accessories are all stored in a cargo box mounted on a small 3x4 utility trailer frame shown below. But gas motors should only be transported vertically. Short of attaching some kind of a mast with motor mount plate to the trailer's coupler frame (which seems like a really big and expensive job), what else can be done here? There must be a better way to transport outboard motors! Help!

Old 07-31-2023, 05:39 PM   #753
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A time of day angling restriction is when angling is not permitted from 2:00 PM to midnight (14:00 to 24:00) at specified locations. The time of day angling restriction are in place starting at 2:00pm on Wednesday July 26th 2023, for at least 14 days.
• all rivers and streams (flowing waters) in fisheries management zone ES1, including the Bow River downstream of Banff National Park to Bassano Dam (this includes Ghost Reservoir, Glenmore Reservoir, Bearspaw Reservoir and Bassano Reservoir)
• St. Mary's River mainstem (including tributaries) below the St. Mary's Reservoir in fisheries management zone PP1
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 05:50 PM   #754
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Hey, CP. I impulsively bought a small Yamaha outboard motor for my dinghy boat, as the Minn Kota troller I have doesn't really move it well. But now I have a problem I didn't think of: how to transport it? I don't own a pickup truck. My raft and all of its accessories are all stored in a cargo box mounted on a small 3x4 utility trailer frame shown below. But gas motors should only be transported vertically. Short of attaching some kind of a mast with motor mount plate to the trailer's coupler frame (which seems like a really big and expensive job), what else can be done here? There must be a better way to transport outboard motors! Help!

I have transported my small 4HP Johnson engine on its side in my truck bed many times. I didnt think that was a problem and I have never had an issue with it. I always store it vertically when I get home though.

This article may help..

https://anchor.travel/can-you-transp...r-on-its-side/
Old 07-31-2023, 06:11 PM   #755
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have transported my small 4HP Johnson engine on its side in my truck bed many times. I didnt think that was a problem and I have never had an issue with it. I always store it vertically when I get home though.

This article may help..

https://anchor.travel/can-you-transp...r-on-its-side/
Yep, saw this one:

Quote:
In general, you should never transport a 4-stroke on its side because there is an extremely high risk of fluid leaks. Even if you thoroughly drain the motor first, transporting and storing them on their side can cause problems over time.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:43 AM   #756
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Bass on the fly is actually super fun. I catch bass in Windermere lake on the fly pretty regularly; at least before the weeds get too challenging, they’re aggressive fish that will eagerly take a streamer, and the smaller ones will even give you the occasional dry fly eat on a hopper or something similar. I’ve heard you can use a popper to mimic frogs or something on the surface too, which I expect might work better where you are assuming frogs are more abundant.

I actually use a 5 weight for those most of the time, but the bass in Windermere never seem get quite as huge as I think they can in US lakes. You may feel more comfortable with a stiffer rod if you’re going to be using larger flies or streamers, or if the fish are huge.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #757
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I moved the only gear I kept was my rod. Gave all my flies and goodies to the old man, so I'm starting from scratch again. I have some streamers, poppers, chubby chernobyl and funky flies like mice and frogs to try out. Buddy here at work says frog lures work awesome. From what I've read, a Woolley Bugger is popular with bass. I may grab some stimulators to try as well.

I think a 9' 7wt should be good to go. May take a little to get used to, as well as stripping poppers ect. Think I may pick up a second spool with some sinking line since it's so hot, in case they are deep, and fish like a heathen in case they won't take them off the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 11:36 PM   #758
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

No judgment here. I’m not a dry fly snob; it’s not cheating to fish where the fish are.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:38 AM   #759
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've just never done anything but fish streams off the top, it's all I know!
Havnt presented a fly in over a year, at this point I just wanna catch fish. Forecast may force me to stay at home and get work done this weekend though.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:08 PM   #760
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well got out today with a buddy to fish a small pond. Caught a bluegill and a bunch of bass, they are a riot. Used the bluegill as bait for a catfish on a sinker off the dock, caught one but he ran into downed trees and broke the line. Had the best luck using streamers, chubby chernobyl and poppers. Took a little bit to get used to the heavier rod, line, and turning over the larger flies but it worked well. Couple weeks here the wife and I are going camping, there's a river where we are going with brown trout so gonna take the dry flies out. Love bass though, great sport fish!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing