Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2024, 08:39 AM   #341
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
The right kind though. Not all magnesium is made equal.

Read the labels, make sure it isn't oxide. That one's a poorly absorbed form that's basically a laxative. It's cheap and easily produced which is why it's the one in your basic store bought brands like Jamiesons.

Magtein/L-Threonate and Glycinate/Bisglycinate are fantastic.

Sleeping on Magnesium can as much as double your REM sleep time, which means that even if you sleep less, you can get more high quality sleep in. I'll feel as refreshed from 4 hours of magnesium sleep as 7 hours without it.
Tell me more! I'm dealing with a bout of insomnia right now. Was reading up on Mg and looks like it can help with restless leg syndrome, REM sleep, etc. Do you take it just before bed? Have to take it for a few days/week to see benefits?

Looked at Mg rich foods and hardly eat any of them so hoping this could help.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:22 AM   #342
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Not getting my sarcasm should give you more anxiety. Might be anxiety. It’s totally anxiety. It’s 3:27 am for me when it starts kicking in.
Damn, that's all I need!
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 10:24 AM   #343
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Tell me more! I'm dealing with a bout of insomnia right now. Was reading up on Mg and looks like it can help with restless leg syndrome, REM sleep, etc. Do you take it just before bed? Have to take it for a few days/week to see benefits?

Looked at Mg rich foods and hardly eat any of them so hoping this could help.
Getting the right kind of magnesium supplement is important. Threonate or Clycinate are best and 200-400mg taken 2-3 hours before bedtime.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:28 AM   #344
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Getting the right kind of magnesium supplement is important. Threonate or Clycinate are best and 200-400mg taken 2-3 hours before bedtime.
Thanks...looks like Bisglycinate is the best option (assume that's what you suggested) from what I read, easy to find. And yeah, don't what to get the squirts at 3am. Lol.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:38 PM   #345
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Not getting my sarcasm should give you more anxiety. Might be anxiety. It’s totally anxiety. It’s 3:27 am for me when it starts kicking in.
Oh dude. Sorry man. Thats me. I set my phone to call you every morning at 3:27 am and play:

Its just so happy and upbeat, I thought it would help you sleep.

I see now that it plays on repeat for like 3 hours straight, but I didnt know how to change that setting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:55 PM   #346
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh dude. Sorry man. Thats me. I set my phone to call you every morning at 3:27 am and play:

Its just so happy and upbeat, I thought it would help you sleep.

I see now that it plays on repeat for like 3 hours straight, but I didnt know how to change that setting.
Getting in touch with your inner Negan?
Old 04-14-2024, 12:57 PM   #347
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They call me a cynical monster, but I like to think I'm just 'ahead of the curve.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-14-2024, 01:01 PM   #348
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Thanks...looks like Bisglycinate is the best option (assume that's what you suggested) from what I read, easy to find. And yeah, don't what to get the squirts at 3am. Lol.
A quick Google search seems to indicate Bisglycinate and Glycinate are the same thing so, yes. I've been buying this one from Amaranth which already has decent pricing but also has 20% off sales on the 1st Wednesday of every month.

Old 04-14-2024, 01:19 PM   #349
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And, funny story...in the days when my wife and I watched The Walking Dead together I did take her phone and change her ring-tone to that song and she kept it for YEARS.

I thought it was pretty funny but I'm not entirely sure she knows how to change her ringtone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:08 PM   #350
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And, funny story...in the days when my wife and I watched The Walking Dead together I did take her phone and change her ring-tone to that song and she kept it for YEARS.

I thought it was pretty funny but I'm not entirely sure she knows how to change her ringtone.
You better hope she doesn't get her hands on a "Lucille".
Old 04-14-2024, 02:09 PM   #351
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You better hope she doesn't get her hands on a "Lucille".
Oh that ship has sailed. My house is a very 'Heads Up' environment.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:15 PM   #352
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys might ask your doc about Gabapentin. It wasn’t developed as a sleep drug but it was discovered it kept users asleep, but doesn’t help you fall asleep. It has no dependencies or side affects. I’ve been using it for years. I’m on my second doc who prescribe it for me.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:20 PM   #353
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take magnesium.

One of the elemental salt-derived forms (glycinate, malate, taurate etc)

Don't take the laxative forms lol. That's usually the kind you'll get in your basic store shelf brands (I.e. Jamiesons).
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:20 PM   #354
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You guys might ask your doc about Gabapentin. It wasn’t developed as a sleep drug but it was discovered it kept users asleep, but doesn’t help you fall asleep. It has no dependencies or side affects. I’ve been using it for years. I’m on my second doc who prescribe it for me.
Interesting. GABA is a supplement that has been recommended for aiding in sleep. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:24 PM   #355
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked my Doctor and he just came back with a soaking rag that smelled like Chloroform.

Best sleep I've had in years!

Waking up in the bathtub full of ice was a lot less fun though.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:45 PM   #356
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Not sure where you get your info from, but gabapentin does have side effects and isn't some harmless sleep aid.

Quote:
Here are some of the potential serious side effects associated with gabapentin:

Mood changes: Some individuals might experience mood changes, including shifts in emotions or behavior. If you notice any unusual changes in your mood, consult your doctor. They might consider adjusting your medication or exploring alternative treatment options if necessary.

Swelling in extremities: Swollen arms and legs can occur as a side effect of gabapentin. To alleviate this, consider sitting with your feet elevated and avoiding prolonged periods of standing. If the swelling persists, discuss this with your healthcare provider.

Blurred vision: Blurred vision can be a side effect of gabapentin. During this time, avoid activities such as driving, cycling, or operating machinery that require clear vision. If blurred vision persists beyond a few days, consult your doctor for potential adjustments to your treatment plan.

Difficulty getting an erection: Some individuals might experience difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection while taking gabapentin. If this side effect occurs, talk to your doctor about possible solutions or alternative medications that could help manage this issue.

Weight gain: Gabapentin can increase hunger, potentially leading to weight gain. Managing your diet and portion sizes while also maintaining a healthy exercise routine can help prevent excessive weight gain.

Memory problems: If you encounter memory issues while taking gabapentin, consult your prescribing physician. They can assess whether this side effect is related to the medication and recommend appropriate actions.

Headaches: While headaches are a possible side effect of gabapentin, they usually diminish within the first week of usage. However, if headaches persist or are severe, inform your healthcare provider to determine the best course of action.

Increased infections: Some individuals might notice an increase in the frequency of infections. If you observe this effect, consult your doctor for guidance.
Quote:
Gabapentin can be addictive.
Gabapentin withdrawal symptoms may include:

Insomnia
Nausea
Headaches
Dizziness
Anxiety
https://www.gratitudelodge.com/gabap...uined-my-life/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 03:16 PM   #357
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Not sure where you get your info from, but gabapentin does have side effects and isn't some harmless sleep aid.

https://www.gratitudelodge.com/gabap...uined-my-life/
I’ve had two docs prescribe it. My info comes from them. Maybe I should have says “no significant risk of side effects.”
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 AM   #358
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took 350 of the magnesium was up all night, worst sleep I have had in a while. Missed the gym and everything.

You guys buying the ones laced with Gaba and Melatonin?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:42 AM   #359
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find that cold showers do the trick.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:35 AM   #360
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
A quick Google search seems to indicate Bisglycinate and Glycinate are the same thing so, yes. I've been buying this one from Amaranth which already has decent pricing but also has 20% off sales on the 1st Wednesday of every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I took 350 of the magnesium was up all night, worst sleep I have had in a while. Missed the gym and everything.

You guys buying the ones laced with Gaba and Melatonin?
Nope. See above. Also, I see a lot of research recommending against supplementing with Melatonin.

What type of magnesium is it?