Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #141
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
In a Business where a GM can go from "I am not trading PK Subban" to "We traded PK Subban" a few weeks later, this is not a problem.
No, it’s not offside or anything. I’m just saying that piece of info was in the mix.

Now, the huge unknown is what anyone else was offering. If it wasn’t a whole lot better, the debate is a little pointless, you just take what you can get.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #142
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Now, the huge unknown is what anyone else was offering. If it wasn’t a whole lot better, the debate is a little pointless, you just take what you can get.
That's my suspicion. Hall isn't the asset he appears to think he is.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #143
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That's my suspicion. Hall isn't the asset he appears to think he is.
I guess we’ll see what he can do with a decent team. I’m not sure of his fit in Boston.

I’ll say this - he’s going to take a huge pay cut in the off season.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #144
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Wonder if he regrets not taking that multi year offer from Arizona
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #145
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess we’ll see what he can do with a decent team. I’m not sure of his fit in Boston.
I don't think the Bruins are sure of his fit either. A marginal prospect and a 2nd-round pick in a weak and screwy draft, and the Sabres added another player? Doesn't scream ‘Plan the parade!’ to me.

Quote:
I’ll say this - he’s going to take a huge pay cut in the off season.
I ain't betting against that.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:39 PM   #146
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I forget what Boston offered for Iggy, but IIRC it was better than the Pittsburgh offer.
Not really. It was supposedly Matt Bartkowski, their first, and Alex Khokhlachev.

So it was still a weak package of players and a late first round pick. It was better than what Pittsburgh offered...but it was still

It's probably the same thing here...4 million dollars for a 2 goal derp wasn't moving the needle that much for anyone, and Boston's package is likely very comparable to anything else. The delta between what they got and could get is likely pretty marginal just like the Flames failed Iginla trade. The real Difference is that snake oil Feaster had Boston convinced that they had a deal before the player had agreed to the trade there.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 04-15-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 AM   #147
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Not really. It was supposedly Matt Bartkowski, their first, and Alex Khokhlachev.

So it was still a weak package of players and a late first round pick. It was better than what Pittsburgh offered...but it was still

It's probably the same thing here...4 million dollars for a 2 goal derp wasn't moving the needle that much for anyone, and Boston's package is likely very comparable to anything else. The delta between what they got and could get is likely pretty marginal just like the Flames failed Iginla trade. The real Difference is that snake oil Feaster had Boston convinced that they had a deal before the player had agreed to the trade there.
There’s something to be said in that situation at least, for trading Iggy with some term left. This will be the situation with Gaudreau off season.

In Iggy’s situation Feaster probably should have gotten something firmer from Iggy pre-negotiations. In other words, we know from hindsight that both Boston and Pittsburgh were OK for him to go to. So why not ask him which cities were OK and then go negotiate, and in doing so create a bidding war between them. It seems like Feaster just made two independent bad deals and then presented them to Iggy.

I suppose when you think you’re a draft genius a late first is all you really need.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #148
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

So far this trade has been working out. Hall has been looking really good on the 2nd line with Krejci and Smith and he scored a nice goal last night. Once he gets really comfortable with them it should be really great.
Also Lazar has been great, he has solidified the 4th line and they look very cohesive for the first time all year. They used to have a good shift a game but now they are energized and they look great every time they are on the ice and Lazar is leading the charge. Great forcheck and possession.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #149
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hall had already said, before any team made offers, that he was willing to waive. Then, once he heard Boston was involved, he told Buffalo it was only Boston he’d waive for. I just think there was a way to avoid that. One of which is just what you said. Get your best deal, then tell Hall that it’s that deal you want to do. See if he waives.

I forget what Boston offered for Iggy, but IIRC it was better than the Pittsburgh offer.

We thought it was better at the time, but those prospects turned out no better than PIT’s.

BOS swept PIT in the ECF, so their pick ended up a few lower, too.

Maybe BOS doesn’t lose to CHI in 6 if they have Iggy? Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #150
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
We thought it was better at the time, but those prospects turned out no better than PIT’s.

BOS swept PIT in the ECF, so their pick ended up a few lower, too.

Maybe BOS doesn’t lose to CHI in 6 if they have Iggy? Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Horton doesn't mess his shoulder up fighting Iggy if he's on the Bruins... that alone could've changed everything.
Bs&Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #151
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

So Hall has 2 goals in his first two games.

How useless is the Sabres GM?

Even if it is true that Hall wanted only to go to Boston, if that's the best offer I can get for Hall I tell Hall to expand his list or be prepared to spend the rest of the season as a Sabre in a contract year.

Basically what Masai did with Lowry. All the teams were low balling him so he just kept Lowry.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:37 PM   #152
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
So Hall has 2 goals in his first two games.

How useless is the Sabres GM?

Even if it is true that Hall wanted only to go to Boston, if that's the best offer I can get for Hall I tell Hall to expand his list or be prepared to spend the rest of the season as a Sabre in a contract year.

Basically what Masai did with Lowry. All the teams were low balling him so he just kept Lowry.
That's a great way for a new GM to show his loyalty to his players. If he did this, good luck ever getting any free agents to sign there.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #153
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How many players sign one-year deals with the expectation of choosing their destination at the deadline? How many players sign multi-year deals and expect to choose their destination in the final year? Of all the challenges the Sabres face attracting players I highly doubt that is one of them.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #154
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
That's a great way for a new GM to show his loyalty to his players. If he did this, good luck ever getting any free agents to sign there.
How is that a bad look for a GM with regards to signing other players in the future? It's not like Hall signed a long term deal and they are trading him in the first year. He signed a one year show me deal.

If anything it's a bad look for a new GM to retain 50% on a recent Hart winner and all you get in return is a 2nd basically. Sam Bennet got more than Taylor Hall. How do you accept that trade as the Sabres GM? If I'm a Sabres fan I'm livid.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #155
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You think I'm joking but Buffalo taking Neal was suggested by Oiler fans on here
That was me, I’m not Ken Holland, just a fan, but the suggestion I made was better then the return they got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
If this was directed to me, I joined in 2005 and have been around for 62 point seasons and years of no playoffs.
And if it was directed at me, I’ve been around since 2007 and same thing. Year of no playoffs, being the laughing stock of the NHL. And while I don’t post here as much mostly due not caring too much about what rivals think, I still have have a good post per day record and still remember holding my own in a phaneuf vs souray argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
OILFAN #81 has been around so long there are even posts of his in the first E=NG thread.

I think he my have been here before stang.
Yes sir he was. He’s got a couple years here on me, and I still consider him a good friend off this site, even though we met on it.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:47 PM   #156
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
That was me, I’m not Ken Holland, just a fan, but the suggestion I made was better then the return they got.
Not if they were taking Neal IMO...it would probably take a first just to get rid of him without Hall. Hall likely didn't want to go there to get blamed for the incoming playoff loss anyway.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #157
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Taylor Hall (50% retained) and Lazar traded to BOS for Anders Bjork and a 2nd

Quote:
There’s something to be said in that situation at least, for trading Iggy with some term left. This will be the situation with Gaudreau off season.

In Iggy’s situation Feaster probably should have gotten something firmer from Iggy pre-negotiations. In other words, we know from hindsight that both Boston and Pittsburgh were OK for him to go to. So why not ask him which cities were OK and then go negotiate, and in doing so create a bidding war between them. It seems like Feaster just made two independent bad deals and then presented them to Iggy.

I suppose when you think you’re a draft genius a late first is all you really need.

But in reality, Feaster can ask him for a complete list of teams he’s willing to accept a trade to, but Iggy would be crazy to give him such a list in advance. And list would be a tiered list likely.

I would say, “there are a number of teams I might consider, you bring me back the options, and I’ll choose from that list”.

Feaster brought back Pittsburgh and Boston, Iggy chose Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Cobra; 04-17-2021 at 07:11 AM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:20 AM   #158
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
But in reality, Feaster can ask him for a complete list of teams he’s willing to accept a trade to, but Iggy would be crazy to give him such a list in advance. And list would be a tiered list likely.

I would say, “there are a number of teams I might consider, you bring me back the options, and I’ll choose from that list”.

Feaster brought back Pittsburgh and Boston, Iggy chose Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It’s not crazy to do that at all and all Iggy can do is say no. There’s no harm in trying that approach instead of just handing the keys over.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #159
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At this point, Hall is looking like Danny Heatley v2.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #160
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It’s not crazy to do that at all and all Iggy can do is say no. There’s no harm in trying that approach instead of just handing the keys over.
I'm confused...is that not exactly what Feaster did? Except that he told the Bruins that they had a deal before he got Iginla to sign off on it. Which made him look like a complete horses ass, and the Flames as a whole into the laughing stock of the league.

I imagine the GM's try to get players to sign away the NTC to give them more teams, but why would any player agree to do this until they see which teams will make a deal.

As I said earlier the difference between this deal and what they could have made is likely negligible. The Sabres have an extra pick a player who might offer some depth, and a chance to sign him back in the offseason now. Better than Savemedrzaius suggesting that they go Harold Ballard and hoard him out of spite.