Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #181
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

The biggest shock for me when doing research was how carb loaded a lot of vegetables are. I'm looking forward to trying it though!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #182
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Bumping this thread as I'm wondering if any of you who have tried keto have used any apps to help you track your meals and macros? We're going to give this a try for the first time pretty soon and I want to be prepared

Also any tips and tricks for a first timer?

I use My Fitness Pal.

Also, read this - https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

electrolytes are super important or you will feel like #### and quit.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #183
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've read about that. I'll definitely be adding salt to water and if that's not doing it ill get a supplement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #184
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

if your looking to work out, make sure you get Biosteel. Low carb and gives you alot of energy.

I also have some plans if your it's what your looking for.

or just go to https://www.ruled.me/

great site, recipes and plans.

Last edited by csnarpy; 04-10-2021 at 09:41 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #185
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Mealime. Probably the best meal-planning app out there and they have settings for different types of diets.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #186
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bumping this thread as I'm wondering if any of you who have tried keto have used any apps to help you track your meals and macros? We're going to give this a try for the first time pretty soon and I want to be prepared

Also any tips and tricks for a first timer?
MyFitnessPal is the best for tracking, it has pretty much every food in the database.
I tried Dietdoctor.com for a bit and it has great recipes and meal plans.

If I'm not mistaken, you tested positive for covid, correct?
Just make sure you talk to a doctor before starting keto, it can have some side effects and timing after covid recovery may be a consideration.

Apologies if I'm mistaking you with another poster.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #187
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Did keto for a year and lost close to 80lbs it was crazy good.
Healthy and DR was involved from the get go. Few years later though I had a set back from the higher fat foods and had to get my gal-bladder out.

No way to say for sure keto caused it but I’m confident it didn’t help.

Great diet though, it works and I enjoyed it.
I love Keto and when Im on the diet it really helps me regulate my blood sugars being a type 1 diabetic. However the last time I got in the groove and had been on Keto for a month my doctor rained on my parade. (For the record I not sure I 100% believe this but it did scare me) She told me I was killing myself bc of the high fat foods. I might get skinny but my heart would pay the price. She told me Cholesterol, etc would be sky high.

However I did bloodwork the next day and my cholesterol was perfect.

I really want to get back on Keto but I also don't want it to be a detriment to my health.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #188
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I went low carb as opposed to Keto. I also mixed in a bit of intermittent fasting. So far I am having greater success than my friends who are trying to do full Keto. I can also throw in a cheat day every week or two and not worry about it messing things up. I did start off going high fat; now I just do low fat if I can.

I would recommend anybody looking at this check out Dr. Jason Fung. He has this paid website, but all I did was watch his free stuff- both there and on Youtube.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 PM   #189
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
MyFitnessPal is the best for tracking, it has pretty much every food in the database.
I tried Dietdoctor.com for a bit and it has great recipes and meal plans.

If I'm not mistaken, you tested positive for covid, correct?
Just make sure you talk to a doctor before starting keto, it can have some side effects and timing after covid recovery may be a consideration.

Apologies if I'm mistaking you with another poster.
I've been using MyFitnessPal for a while without really utilizing the diary part so I've updated that with my macros. We'll see how it works. I think I'm going to seep things pretty simple for the first week or so until I get the hang of building meals that will work with 5% carbs. Today is day one!

I don't have Covid - but unfortunately a handful of people in my family got it last week. Luckily I've been a hermit for the past few months so I'm in the clear. Thanks for the info!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #190
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did Keto for 4 months a couple years back. Lost 40 lbs of fat and everything improved.

I'm looking for that spark/drive to do it again.

Myfitnesspal was very useful for tracking/learning about the macros and staying in ketosis. I tried doing it after a drinking night with friends and I stayed disciplined for 120 days!
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #191
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I’ve been doing dirty keto for awhile now. I did 6 months back in 2018 and lost 25lbs, liked the diet but was on shift work at the time and felt it really hard to stay on track.

Last September I decided to go back on, no longer on shift work, I’ve loved it, I did take December off but since September I am down 38lbs and am the lowest I’ve ever been in my adult life (sub 200lbs) 11 years ago I was well over 300lbs and lost with a very restrictive diet and exercise.

Now that I’ve been on for awhile I find it pretty easy to stick to, plus my family is used too it and I've found a lot of family friendly recipes. Lots of options out there now for food and substitutes for things like pasta and ice cream which is normally what I crave. I’m dirty keto and really don’t count carbs anymore, but early on I was very strict in counting. I also workout a lot, cardio, weights and yoga. My doctor is anti-keto, but even conceded that my cholesterol is perfect and blood pressure is low so no health concerns here.

I highly recommend Carb Manager for tracking (free, but there is a paid version). Its a lot like MyFitnessPal for tracking, but made for keto.

My advice is don’t get disheartened if you don’t lose some weeks, worry about inches and they will come off. If you have a bad day and eat carbs, it's not the end of the world, just do better the next day and get back on it. Drink lots of water and electrolytes, I had serious issues with muscle spasms, found that lots of water and a Gatorade zero a day solved it.

Gallagher’s Pub at Edmonton trail and McKnight has killer keto pizza, and a full keto menu. Amazon also has a lot of keto foods too.

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 04-12-2021 at 07:10 PM.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #192
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I've read about that. I'll definitely be adding salt to water and if that's not doing it ill get a supplement.

sodium is good, also need potassium and magnesium though.

I buy no-salt and Calm Magnesium from Superstore for the others.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #193
JohnnyBeGood
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Magnesium citrate is good to help with erm, ‘keeping regular’. On keto you are maybe eating less and it’s more nutrient-dense, so less waste passes through you. If you are not careful, the waste can be rock hard by the time it emerges!! Magnesium citrate helps here, take before bed as it helps with sleep too.

Good luck! I have been eating this way for 20 months now, it fixed my diabetes.
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #194
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did keto two and half years ago. Used Carb Manager - I would recommend paying for a three month prescription as there are some benefits but once you've been keeping track of your macros for awhile, you'll kind of know what you can (and how much) and can't eat. Lost 25 pounds quite easily, although, that isn't why I went keto.

Also, started intermittent fasting a month or two after starting keto. Didn't think I would be able to do it but it worked well for me and I continue to this day while mainly eating a low carb diet. Shortly after beginning IF, my sleep problems of 12+ years disappeared - thrilled about that!

I would recommend looking into bulletproof coffee. The hardest part of keto I found was not keeping my carbs down but getting enough fat in my diet. Adding MCT oil and ghee to my morning coffee did the trick and gave me a HUGE boost of energy.

As others have posted, keeping the electrolytes up, especially at the beginning, is important.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 10:56 PM   #195
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Warning: Long winded, probably TMI post below but hey, may as well share my experience.

Here’s an update as I’m now just about a week in. I bought a couple different types of urine strips to test my ketone levels before I started the Keto diet on Monday last week. Oddly, both strips indicated that I had low levels of ketones in my urine (0.5-1.0 mmol/L) on the Sunday before I started. That day (last Sunday) had a bunch of wine, sandwiches and other things that were definitely not low carb, and technically I was already in ketosis. Very odd, but I chalked it up as a joke like “my body is already getting into the spirit!”.

The first day by noon (Monday), I was already at 1.5-4 mmol/L in my urine (again, testing with both strips), and by the end of the day on Wednesday (day 3) I was up around 9 mmol/L on both separate tests. At this point I started to do some research because I know that ketone levels that are too high can be dangerous and typically it takes the average person 2-4 days to get into ketosis. My husband at the same time was still showing no signs of ketones in his urine using the same test strips. I added some carbs back into my diet that day for dinner, 1 cup of rice which should have put me way over my daily carb limit but my ketones barely went down at all. On the Thursday I bumped my carbs up to about 30%, and again I sat at about 4 mmol/L. I've been off the keto diet since then and my levels are ranging between 4-8 mmol/L. Everything I’ve read said that if you go overboard on carbs, it’ll bump you out of ketosis. This is not the case for me. In fact, it seems like I need to incorporate carbs in order to keep my ketones between 1-4 mmol/L.

Some background: I’m a 37 year old woman, I’m not overweight at all, I just wanted to get into shape and feel better. A few years ago I went to the doctor for an unrelated issue and needed to give a urine sample. She noted that I had ketones in my urine then, thought it was odd, but as I wasn’t experiencing anything weird besides the issue at hand she packed it away into my file. I have an appointment booked for Tuesday to run some tests, but I’m under the impression that this isn’t the right idea for me.

Does anyone know if it’s normal to be in a state of ketosis as a norm? I’m wondering because I’ve generally struggled to gain weight my whole life. The biggest reason I wanted to try keto in the first place was to drop a few pounds and get better mental clarity (which I’ve read is really a thing). Overall, I felt sluggish and light headed the whole time.

TLDR: I guess Keto probably isn’t for everyone. I’m curious to see what my doctor thinks. I did lose 6lbs, but I didn’t sleep, could barely concentrate and overall felt like garbage the whole time

That being said, it’s working wonders for my husband. He loves it and is shedding weight like crazy. His energy level is high and he feel really good. Go figure.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #196
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are going to start on Keto tomorrow. I already do IF. Should be interesting, given my love of pho and pasta. Even my blueberries are no good now...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #197
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Nyah- what you describe is why I refer to my new lifestyle/ diet as "low carb" and didn't actually try to achieve Ketosis. Now some of the hardcore keto people I meet refer to what I am doing as "dirty keto." I'm not a fan of that term as it sounds like I am doing something wrong.

6 months in I am down 50 pounds, and my blood sugar is way more normal that it has been in years. I will admit that I haven't just done low carb. I have also brought in a few intermittent fasts into it.

The thing is to take advice, but do what works for you. Every person is going to be a little different.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #198
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
We are going to start on Keto tomorrow. I already do IF. Should be interesting, given my love of pho and pasta. Even my blueberries are no good now...

If you manage your carbs in the day, I found room at the end of day for berries with a splash of heavy cream.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #199
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't do a hard keto, but simply removed carbs like bread, pasta, rice out of my diet. I didn't increase fat intake, and already taking in a high protein (1g/lbs of body weight).

During covid, I incorporated intermittent fasting, and increased my water intake to roughly 3-4L per day.

Results have been solid, especially given the reduction in resistance training due to home workouts. My only issue is covid lockdown have me taking in my vices more than usual on the weekends (ie. booze, ordering food/takeout). I used to do a cheat day, but that's basically stretched to cheat weekends now, to keep me sane thru everything going on ....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #200
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feeling pretty weak today. Came in just over budget - 55 g of carbs - could not throw out the last 1/2 cup of blueberries and had a tomato in my salad. You know what is really, really good in a beef stew? Turnips! Who would have thought? Never had turnips in my life up to now. Will have to buy more. Allowed myself a sliver of 85% chocolate for dessert, and a 1/2 glass of red with the stew. Exercise-wise did about 45-50 minutes of pushups/situps this morning, walked 5.5 k this morning and 7.5 k this afternoon. There is no way I could have done any more. Ate all my food between 1130 and 530. About 600-700 cal less than I would normally have. I really put away those carbs before...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:

Tags
keto , lose weight , oilers suck , support thread , willpower