Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #661
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mcknight is offering 50% as well. I suspect all the associations agreed on this amount

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #662
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Mcknight is offering 50% as well. I suspect all the associations agreed on this amount
Yeah it seems a little BS to me, I send an email our association asking for some transparency & finacial information to justify the 50%.

I got an email back from out paid coach mentor (who "worked" all through) justifying the amount..........

FFS

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:00 AM   #663
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Cochrane hasn't processed the refunds yet, but in preliminary communications indicated that it would be less than a simple proration of cost/icetimes. They cited upfront costs, Eval costs and Hockey Alberta and Hockey Canada Fees as the reasons.
I have to give credit where credit is due. Cochrane came through with a 70% refund, which seems quite a bit better than most. I wondered if it might be less than 50% since we hire outside evaluators for all ages Novice and up.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #664
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Cochrane hasn't processed the refunds yet, but in preliminary communications indicated that it would be less than a simple proration of cost/icetimes. They cited upfront costs, Eval costs and Hockey Alberta and Hockey Canada Fees as the reasons.
Has anyone heard what Hockey Alberta is doing with the millions and millions collected from the WJC 50/50 money? Returning the Hockey Alberta portion of fee back to local minor hockey organizations should be at the top of the list.

I'm no longer involved in minor hockey, but from what I've heard for most hockey associations and sports organizations in general, 50% seems to be the going refund rate. This is what our curling club has done, with many people just donating their refund back to the club.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #665
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey Alberta fee was something like $27 per player and it mostly pays for salary positions and training programs for coaches. So I can understand why they could only refund a portion of their fee.

From what I understand the money from the world juniors 50-50 had rules around what it could be used for.

I can understand why some are upset about the association level refunds but you have to remember that these associations are volunteer run and they aren't banking profits. Plus the first two weeks of the season are the most expensive with equipment costs, evaluation costs, etc. Plus year long salaries for ice allocators or registrars depending on the size of your association and they got paid all year. During the shut downs they weren't sitting around either as there was plans to come back a few times and that required work from those behind the scenes to schedule ice, remake teams, plan for restrictions and other stuff like that. So I can understand why we only played a third of the season but paid around half.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #666
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PeeWee AA (U13) moving to quadrant system...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366795363638648832
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #667
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm assuming it will be at the AA level? I don't believe there is a U13AAA model for Alberta. Unless they plan to only play within Calgary because there would be no other teams to paly in Alberta.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #668
goaliemom
Draft Pick

Oh wow! I wonder how many AA teams each quadrant association will have?
I think most associations only had 1 AA team this year.
goaliemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #669
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty sure it is AA only... In the comments, someone said that it is 3 per quadrant (which they thought was too many) which would be 12 teams. Checking the Hockey Calgary website, there were 14 AA teams this past year.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #670
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
PeeWee AA (U13) moving to quadrant system...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366795363638648832
This just seems like a money grab

Quote:
Old 03-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #671
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This just seems like a money grab
Competing with HSL. Hard to keep elite kids in U13.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #672
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Hard to keep elite kids in U13.
This is the most ridiculous idea around in my mind. "Elite" doesn't exist at that age, athletic development isn't linear.

Quote:
Old 03-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #673
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is the most ridiculous idea around in my mind. "Elite" doesn't exist at that age, athletic development isn't linear.
Agreed 100%. But part of the issue is these independent 'leagues' have sprung up and are taking kids from the Hockey Alberta stream. When you have Atom teams marketing themselves as AAA the kids (and parents) buy into it. I think this is also part of the reason sports schools have really taken off - it givens parents another avenue to send their kids when they don't make the traditional elite teams. When my kids played we had three very good goalies in our system, all the same age. Obviously at two goalies per team one of them was not going to be on the top team. As soon as they hit bantam they all tried out for quadrant. One made the AAA bantam team, the other two were cut and immediately transferred to schools rather than go back to community. All three stayed in those respective streams for the rest of minor hockey and were drafted to the WHL (only one stuck with his team). Point being parents see these as viable alternatives and won't hesitate to yank their kids if they think it will get them ahead. Like it or not Hockey Calgary probably felt like they needed to do this to remain competitive.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #674
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Agreed 100%. But part of the issue is these independent 'leagues' have sprung up and are taking kids from the Hockey Alberta stream. When you have Atom teams marketing themselves as AAA the kids (and parents) buy into it. I think this is also part of the reason sports schools have really taken off - it givens parents another avenue to send their kids when they don't make the traditional elite teams. When my kids played we had three very good goalies in our system, all the same age. Obviously at two goalies per team one of them was not going to be on the top team. As soon as they hit bantam they all tried out for quadrant. One made the AAA bantam team, the other two were cut and immediately transferred to schools rather than go back to community. All three stayed in those respective streams for the rest of minor hockey and were drafted to the WHL (only one stuck with his team). Point being parents see these as viable alternatives and won't hesitate to yank their kids if they think it will get them ahead. Like it or not Hockey Calgary probably felt like they needed to do this to remain competitive.
Then those parents are idiots.

Also, kids don't get missed anymore, if a kid is good enough he/she is found. There are very few undiscovered hidden gems left in the sporting world.

A buddy of mine his boy is 15 and highly ranked in the province and will go in the draft, but he never played spring hockey, never played in the summer and only played Minor Hockey (granted he moved ino the AAA realm in Bantam). He is just such an athlete, things like Super League are a fool game.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #675
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

My kid plays super league because it's cheaper than our local minor league and we like having some free weekends. I also have family in Edmonton I can stay with if our weekend of games is up there and can drive to Calgary easily for games. The travel is actually better and cheaper than the year my son played AA.

Part of the reason these leagues have taken off are the egos in rural communities not seeing the bigger picture to let kids play where they belong (the morons running Didsbury Minor Hockey not merging with Carstairs Minor Hockey for example) and having a single Tier 1 kid on a Tier 4 team and the team ends up in Tier 2 because two communities 5 minutes away from each other can't work together for the benefit of all kids.

I can't speak to the reasons why city parents would leave their association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Agreed 100%. But part of the issue is these independent 'leagues' have sprung up and are taking kids from the Hockey Alberta stream. When you have Atom teams marketing themselves as AAA the kids (and parents) buy into it.
Red Deer does this with their Atom teams, calling them AA even though that's just a provincial classification thing and not true AA hockey. But lots of jackets on parents with AA on them.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #676
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Then those parents are idiots.

Also, kids don't get missed anymore, if a kid is good enough he/she is found. There are very few undiscovered hidden gems left in the sporting world.

A buddy of mine his boy is 15 and highly ranked in the province and will go in the draft, but he never played spring hockey, never played in the summer and only played Minor Hockey (granted he moved ino the AAA realm in Bantam). He is just such an athlete, things like Super League are a fool game.
I wish it was that simple... Given a baseline level of athleticism and drive, quality of coaching, ice time and level of competition makes a huge difference.

On both sides of the border, there are plenty of AA players (and teams) that are way ‘better’ than many AAA, but there is a difference in a top end AAA program as far as development and opportunity.

Playing AAA is not always about the delusional parent, as my son has no real dream of playing in the NHL, or even college. He just wants to be on the best team possible. He is willing to work for it, so I do what I can to put him in a position to reach that goal.

By no means am I am expert, but I do have a front row seat to a player who truly has a ‘shot’. My nephew is projected to be top 2 in the ‘21 WHL draft. His drive, and what his family has done to get him there is incredible. I am quite certain that if he was on my Son’s AA, sometimes AAA path, he would not be in the same position.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #677
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Registration has opened for hockey now. I’m curious as to how much everybody will be paying? U18 for BV is $1320
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #678
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
Registration has opened for hockey now. I’m curious as to how much everybody will be paying? U18 for BV is $1320
My boy would be first year U-18, but he is thinking of playing Rec with buddies as he check out other sports.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #679
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just checked a few at random... U18 is $1185 for Crowfoot, $1275 for Glenlake, $1305 for Trails West and $1535 for Springbank!
Old 09-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #680
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There was a bulletin from Springbank Hockey today that stated that all City arenas will require vaccination. Springbank and Edge will not. (Spoiler tags for size.)

Spoiler!