Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #1021
iggy_oi
#1 Goaltender
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
No it doesnít (Hearing about all of these on the news). People (families) deserve some level of privacy with these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Curious about the position that the news should cover more suicides
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Depends, most people try to hide the suicides of their loved ones. So I think reporting it would hurt the surviving members more. I mean would you report gun suicides only?
I completely understand the need for most families to have privacy at such a time of tragedy, but itís not as if the news canít report on suicides without withholding the names of the victims.

The news has no problem reporting on someone who was murdered, even when the victim is a child. Do the families in those cases not want some privacy as well? Itís just bizarre that theyíve drawn this line where suicide is taboo.

I donít have the stats so Iíll happily stand corrected on this if it turns out to not be accurate but my guess is that there are probably more victims of suicide than murders, rapes, kidnappings and stabbings yet for some reason those stories get all the headlines.

If we want less people to have to go through the tragedy of losing a loved one who committed suicide we have to bring more attention to how much itís happening and why itís happening. Bell letís talk day isnít going to cut it.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #1022
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I very much doubt that. Thatís closer to your lifetime risk of dying by being shot, which to put into perspective, is about 3x less likely than your risk of dying in a car accident, or the always terrifying: ďfalling.Ē

And that number is averaged out, obviously. For many that number of much higher, for many much lower. I agree itís ####ed, and is something that should go away, but itís nothing to be scared about or change your behaviour over.

I lived in the US and I loved it. Best experience of my life. Granted, I lived in SoCal and for my money thatís the best place in North America.

Iíve also travelled the US extensively (35+ states) and itís not crazy to assume most people around you pack heat. I stand by my comment about not honking at people there as road rage is a real thing, and access to hand guns is as easy as anything. Iím smart enough to stay away from no-go zones.

I moved a couple times while living down there and I lived about 15 minutes from the San Bernardino shooting. I left the Mandalay Bay two days before the shooting in Vegas. I was in Phoenix when the guy was blasting cars from an overpass on I-17.

Itís closer to your average Joe than most people think IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #1023
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger
 
mivdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Exp:
Default

From what I understand, the reason why suicides are not reported is to prevent vulnerable people from commiting the act themselves. There are studies that show reporting on suicides increase the likelihood of others taking their lives.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mivdo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #1024
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I lived in the US and I loved it. Best experience of my life. Granted, I lived in SoCal and for my money thatís the best place in North America.

Iíve also travelled the US extensively (35+ states) and itís not crazy to assume most people around you pack heat. I stand by my comment about not honking at people there as road rage is a real thing, and access to hand guns is as easy as anything. Iím smart enough to stay away from no-go zones.

I moved a couple times while living down there and I lived about 15 minutes from the San Bernardino shooting. I left the Mandalay Bay two days before the shooting in Vegas. I was in Phoenix when the guy was blasting cars from an overpass on I-17.

Itís closer to your average Joe than most people think IMO.
Maybe youíre just in the latest Final Destination movie and you donít know it yet?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #1025
iggy_oi
#1 Goaltender
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
From what I understand, the reason why suicides are not reported is to prevent vulnerable people from commiting the act themselves. There are studies that show reporting on suicides increase the likelihood of others taking their lives.
Iíve heard this before as well, and to be honest there was a time when I agreed with it but I just donít buy it anymore. Iím willing to bet every mass shooting is inspired to at least some degree by a similar event but that doesnít stop the news from reporting on them.

When you consider the ever increasing numbers it doesnít appear as though not reporting on suicides is helping reduce their occurrence. I think reporting on it and using that as a platform to bring more attention to the resources available for people who are struggling with mental health issues will do more to help than pretending lke it isnít happening.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #1026
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Is that just a feeling you have or have you seen reports on it? Every report that I've ever seen says reporting suicides leads to more suicides.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #1027
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK207262/

Quote:
Research into the impact of media stories about suicide has demonstrated an increase in suicide rates after both nonfictional and fictional stories about suicide. Most research in this area has addressed nonfictional reporting, which has been shown to have a more powerful effect (Stack, 2003).

More than 50 studies on nonfictional stories reported in newspapers, on television, and more recently on the Internet, have yielded consistent findings. Suicide rates go up following an increase in the frequency of stories about suicide (e.g., Hagihara et al., 2007). Moreover, suicide rates go down following a decrease in the frequency of stories about suicide (e.g., Motto, 1970).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #1028
iggy_oi
#1 Goaltender
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is that just a feeling you have or have you seen reports on it? Every report that I've ever seen says reporting suicides leads to more suicides.
Sorry jayswin I should have worded my post a little better. Iíve read studies similar to the one you posted and Iím not disputing their findings. However what Iíve found is that these types of studies only focus on the very short term implications of reporting suicides rather than looking at whether or not bringing more awareness to how prevalent the issue is would be more beneficial in addressing what is actually causing people to commit suicide and lowering suicide rates in the long run.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #1029
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I very much doubt that. Thatís closer to your lifetime risk of dying by being shot, which to put into perspective, is about 3x less likely than your risk of dying in a car accident, or the always terrifying: ďfalling.Ē

And that number is averaged out, obviously. For many that number of much higher, for many much lower. I agree itís ####ed, and is something that should go away, but itís nothing to be scared about or change your behaviour over.
But they are scared, and they do change their behaviour around guns lol
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #1030
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
From what I understand, the reason why suicides are not reported is to prevent vulnerable people from commiting the act themselves. There are studies that show reporting on suicides increase the likelihood of others taking their lives.
Gun control would do more to prevent suicides.
__________________
http://navigator.law
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #1031
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nanaimo
Exp:
Default

Covid restrictions go down ( when they shouldn't)and mass shooting go up.

Not surprising. They didnt deal with the problem before .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #1032
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger
 
mivdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Gun control would do more to prevent suicides.
Sure. Why not both?
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mivdo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #1033
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

I understand there are two mass shootings today (defined as four or more casualties). It looks like many people are trying to get into the news and to outdo each other. It’s getting like we’re surprised when there are none in a day.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #1034
wittynickname
wittyusertitle
 
wittynickname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is your dick that tiny you need to strap a gun on your person 24/7? Jesus.
My favorite part is that the type of people who feel the need to be armed for their trip to Walmart are often the same types who claim people who wear masks/follow Covid restrictions are 'living in fear.'
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 03:05 AM   #1035
Thor
God of Hating Twitter
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

The thing that irritates me the most is the argument that you need the 2nd amendment in order to protect against government tyranny.

People I know on the right in the US bring this up, and these are for the most part sensible people, its just absurd to suggest that the Government avoids tyranny because lots of people have guns lol
__________________
Allskonar fyrir Aumingja!!
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #1036
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I understand there are two mass shootings today (defined as four or more casualties). It looks like many people are trying to get into the news and to outdo each other. It’s getting like we’re surprised when there are none in a day.
Most mass shootings are drive-byes in gang wars. I doubt they’re trying to get in the news.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #1037
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The thing that irritates me the most is the argument that you need the 2nd amendment in order to protect against government tyranny.

People I know on the right in the US bring this up, and these are for the most part sensible people, its just absurd to suggest that the Government avoids tyranny because lots of people have guns lol
My favorite when you challenge a 2nder is the bizarre narrative that if the Hitler government didn't confiscate civilian guns, there would have been no Holocaust because then the Jewish folks could have just "stood up" to the government
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #1038
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most mass shootings are drive-byes in gang wars. I doubt theyíre trying to get in the news.
Most definitions of mass shooting, and most reportings, exclude gang violence. So this isnít correct.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #1039
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The thing that irritates me the most is the argument that you need the 2nd amendment in order to protect against government tyranny.

People I know on the right in the US bring this up, and these are for the most part sensible people, its just absurd to suggest that the Government avoids tyranny because lots of people have guns lol

Its a delusional concept that might have worked 100 years ago, but not today. Does anyone think that a militia of fat middle aged guys with assault rifles is going to live more then 6 seconds against the US military if they rose up against a tyrannical government.


If hypothetically the US government had decided to directly deal with the Congress incident by rolling in a light infantry unit that they would have done anything but pee their pants and die?


If anything a so called tyrannical government would use these militia groups as an excuse to take them out. But even under Joe who is decidedly an enemy of these groups didn't role out murder squads to deal with them.


The concept of a militia who could keep a government in theoretical check worked best after the civil war period when most of those militia members would have been hardened veterans who could muster significant forces and they'd sit there and shoot each other and laugh as lead balls bounced off of each others heavy jackets.


Right now, and I'm meandering, there is absolutely a gun problem, I can't argue that, I don't think anyone can argue that. But there's also a wide political divide in the States that was encouraged by romantic notions about how the government is in theory supposed to work and be kept in check. There's also a real rage issue in the States. Mix that with easy access to fire arms and you've got a problem.



The solution isn't as simple as taking away guns or hardening gun laws. There's too much money to be made. There's a real need for a government to deal with mental health issues, race issues, divided community issues, and poverty issues combined with real serious crime and gang issues.


Its an impossible situation for any government at any level to deal with.
__________________
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #1040
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The thing that irritates me the most is the argument that you need the 2nd amendment in order to protect against government tyranny.

People I know on the right in the US bring this up, and these are for the most part sensible people, its just absurd to suggest that the Government avoids tyranny because lots of people have guns lol
And many of those same people cheered on Trump as he tried to overthrow a legitimate election. They are 100% on board with tyranny as long as it's "their" guy

I used to wonder how someone like Hitler could have rose to power like he did when he didn't even try to hide his true intentions. Watching what happened to the US over the last 5 years made it clear just how easy it is to brainwash a significant percentage of the population into accepting fascism as long as you give them a scapegoat to rally against (immigrants, liberals, jews, etc)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021