Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Robin Lehner opens up about his addiction and bipolar diagnosis

I believe this has been unlocked so you can read it even if you don't have an Athletic subscription.

https://theathletic.com/522117/2018/...e-in-my-brain/

Quote:
Life does go on living without you being around. One of the hardest things now was getting back to hockey. I am an addict that was diagnosed as bipolar and ADHD with PTSD and trauma. I had never had a sober season of hockey my entire career. Those manic swings, I could see the pattern. When I was hypomanic and in a good mood, I was a solid goalie. The depressive state, not so much.

But now there is a new reality. I can focus on my career.

Last edited by sureLoss; 09-13-2018 at 06:59 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

makes you wonder really how many players we've dismissed were really suffering and battling issues and trying to suck it up and self manage their conditions.
the ones who never lived up to expectations, or always seems to be a screw up, or why they could look good for a short burst and go back to sucking.

the percentage has to be massively higher than we ever thought. must be amazing for players that some of them can finally feel comfortable getting help, not being judged as weak people like they may have in years pas,t and having people finally understand.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always sad to hear what so many of these people suffer with. As a Sabres fan, it was hard not to be frustrated by his wildly inconsistent play. This explains that. I'm happy to hear that he's recovering and hopefully things go great with the Islanders.

It's also nice to see that Jason Botterill has been calling and checking in with him, even after the organization had moved on professionally. Shows there's some class and character in the head office.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing the way Lehner plays, this totally makes sense. He has the talent, but the mental part of the game always let him down. Now that he's getting appropriate treatment, he may turn into one of the better goalies in the game.

It makes you wonder though. Why did nobody pick up on this until now? Don't they have medical staff to assess the mental as well as physical? If not, they should probably add someone like that to their staff.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, very powerful story, what a strong guy. I hope he and his family continue to heal, it must have been so hard on his wife.

I would hope in this day and age, that NHL teams will make it a point to also focus on the mental health of their players and staff, as much as the physical health.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Seeing the way Lehner plays, this totally makes sense. He has the talent, but the mental part of the game always let him down. Now that he's getting appropriate treatment, he may turn into one of the better goalies in the game.

It makes you wonder though. Why did nobody pick up on this until now? Don't they have medical staff to assess the mental as well as physical? If not, they should probably add someone like that to their staff.
I know, from personal experience, that part of having bipolar tendencies is trying to hide it and pretend everything is ok. Then, when you are confronted about it, most people push back, not admitting that they have a problem.

Glad to hear that Lehner is on the right track.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who lives with OCD and anxiety It’s great to see him feel comfortable coming out about his struggles. For so much of my life I felt ashamed having a mental illness and it was the hardest thing to become open about, let alone tell the entire world.

It’s sad but also great to see public figures become open about their struggles, it helps break down the societal stigma that still exists when discussing mental illness. Lehner has had a remarkable career for someone who has gone through such a struggle, i for one cannot even imagine trying to balance the grind of professional hockey while also dealing with such a serious mental illness. Good for him for coming out and sharing such a personal struggle, it’s one of the hardest things to do.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Amazing article.. Wishing him the best! I've had anxiety, depression among other personal family situations and it really is a battle. When things happen to you or if you're in bad situations when you're young that's how your brain is wired. Re-wiring it takes a lot fo time and patience.

Good on Robin
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

You know it’s interesting that Rob Ray was very outspoken about how he feels about Lehner.

I heard him say several times talking to warrener and boomer about this saying he’s the real deal. All of this makes sense though and it’s sad it had to come out like this although I’m happy he’s working on it and believe surrounding himself with them he right people he’ll have the tools to cope and deal efficiently with his challenges.

I really admire the work some of the former enforcer type players are doing with younger players......helping with addiction and recovery .

Big Ern gets top marks for his support of Some of our former players.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope this guy catches fire. I'm beyond happy he is getting the help he needs. I respect the heck out of this guy.