Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #181
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
One of the direct impacts of the Wideman fiasco was the addition of a neutral third party spotter with the power to force players out of the game and into the protocol: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-updates...ol/c-282571624

Though, yes, the NHL and NHLPA could do more to strengthen the program.
The inclusion of concussion spotters was a good decision, but the way these officials have been deployed by the NHL has effectively neutered them. I posted this in the Zetterberg thread:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...ssion-protocol
Quote:
"With 2:55 remaining in the first period of Monday night’s game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Los Angeles Kings, Quick went down with what appeared to be an inadvertent forearm shiver from his own defenseman Derek Forbort, who was jostling in front of the Kings net with Maple Leafs winger Zach Hyman. Quick immediately grabbed his head. At that point, the concussion spotter in the press box at the Air Canada Centre called the league’s war room in New York and alerted the league to the possibility of a concussion. Job done."
One would expect that the alert from the Concussion Spotters would have resulted in Quick's immediate removal from the ice.

Quote:
"There were three more stoppages in play and 1:44 in playing time had elapsed before Quick was summoned off the ice with 1:11 remaining in the period..."
This is a demonstrated failure, in my opinion, of the usefulness of the NHL's Concussion Protocol. If the presence and recommendations of the Concussion Spotters have no actual bearing on decisions being made with regards to player health and safety, then it seems pretty clear to me that the decision to add them to games was little more than for the sake of optics. Providing the appearance of taking action is not the same thing as actually taking action.

Quote:
"And this is where things get really murky. Quick went down the tunnel leading to the quiet room, then returned and took his spot back in the Kings’ crease. He was then pulled off the ice again and replaced by backup Darcy Kuemper, who played the next 36 seconds before Quick went back into the net to play the final 35 seconds of the period."
At this point I think it is important to raise questions about who are the decision makers in the outworking of the League's Protocol? It sure does not seem like the Concussion Spotters are doing anything particularly useful if the teams are given the discretion to make decisions about when the players are cleared for play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Though, yes, the NHL and NHLPA could do more to strengthen the program.
Yeah, no argument there. Both organizations have badly dropped the ball on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-27-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #182
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I agree with you there. It's almost as if the spotters were neutered right after one had the audacity to pull McDavid. In the Quick example, the solution is to have the spotter alert the on-ice officials and have them pull the player. Toronto shouldn't be involved.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 03:12 AM   #183
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Sorry if it's already been brought up as I only skimmed the thread, but I have two simple (albeit drastic) rule changes that I think would make the game safer and more entertaining:

1. 4 on 4.
2. The stick can only be used for the purpose of attempting to play the puck. Anything else is a penalty. No grey area.

Throwing a body check after the puck is gone is a lot less smart when it leaves the rest of the ice at 3 on 3. Missing an open ice body check would be damn near disastrous.

A third change that I haven't given a ton of thought to is to increase the flow of the game and reduce stoppages (thereby perhaps justifying keeping rosters a bit bigger than necessary w/ 4 on 4): on an offside whistle, the offending team has to leave the puck alone (or gently dump it in behind the goal line - firing it too hard would be a delay of game penalty) - offending team has to race back and circle their own face-off dot before defending outside of their zone (ie. if the team now possessing the puck acts fast enough, they have free entrance into the attacking zone - once the puck enters the zone it's all fair game). Both teams are allowed to change.
Love these ideas. 4on4 is a pipe dream since the NHL doesn't want to eliminate jobs, but it would make hockey so much more enjoyable. I've also always wanted a way to award a team puck possession; your 3rd change tries to address that.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #184
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

You really think 4 on 4 will be "so much more enjoyable"?

I think it will be a snooze fest of puck possession and cycling and controlled lined changes. Sure there would be tons of flow to the game, but the players would be coached to look after the defensive side of the puck above all, and therefore you'll just get 8 players whizzing around the ice, too scared to advance the puck for fear of being dispossessed and scored on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #185
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything that increases space on the ice for the players will make the game less exciting. Bigger ice, 4 on 4, etc.

Even 3 on 3 OT isn't as exciting since the coaches got a hold of it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #186
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You really think 4 on 4 will be "so much more enjoyable"?

I think it will be a snooze fest of puck possession and cycling and controlled lined changes. Sure there would be tons of flow to the game, but the players would be coached to look after the defensive side of the puck above all, and therefore you'll just get 8 players whizzing around the ice, too scared to advance the puck for fear of being dispossessed and scored on.
45 second shot attempt clock. Perhaps too much grey on what constitutes an attempt. Maybe a 20 second zone entry clock. Either would avoid the embarrassment of Pronger waiting behind his own net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anything that increases space on the ice for the players will make the game less exciting. Bigger ice, 4 on 4, etc.

Even 3 on 3 OT isn't as exciting since the coaches got a hold of it.
Perhaps 3 on 3 is the perfect time to implement a shot clock.

I know my proposed changes are pretty radical - would just love to see some of them tried in ECHL.

But here's one that I bet could get close to unanimous approval from fans: only one coach allowed behind the bench.

Of course teams would find ways to game this - ass't coaches becoming 'trainers' or vice-versa, players going into the tunnel after every shift for coaching, direct link ipads, etc. but I'm sure there would be ways around it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #187
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
45 second shot attempt clock. Perhaps too much grey on what constitutes an attempt. Maybe a 20 second zone entry clock. Either would avoid the embarrassment of Pronger waiting behind his own net.

Perhaps 3 on 3 is the perfect time to implement a shot clock.

I know my proposed changes are pretty radical - would just love to see some of them tried in ECHL.

But here's one that I bet could get close to unanimous approval from fans: only one coach allowed behind the bench.

Of course teams would find ways to game this - ass't coaches becoming 'trainers' or vice-versa, players going into the tunnel after every shift for coaching, direct link ipads, etc. but I'm sure there would be ways around it.
how would only one coach behind the bench increase the safety or entertainment value of a game? I don't think makes sense for any team sport to have only one coach with access to the players during game play.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #188
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
how would only one coach behind the bench increase the safety or entertainment value of a game? I don't think makes sense for any team sport to have only one coach with access to the players during game play.
There's a sense that the game is over-coached. I know Eric D shares this view. I don't know if you can go down to one coach on the bench, but conceptually I agree with the notion.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #189
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lament the constant brainstorming of ways to ruin hockey.

Trapezoids, 3 on 3, jersey ads. All phooey.

Let's get some smaller goalie gear and call it a day and stop changing what is sacred.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #190
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any quantifiable data for the number of injuries in the NHL year by year?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #191
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

The more and more I read about it and I know its been said many times but if you take away the hard plastic from the shoulder pads and elbow pads and make everyone play in the basic leather beer league pads it'll essentially eliminate most dirty hits because you are as likely to hurt yourself as you are the other guy and you think twice before throwing it...

Hate to say don cherry is right but he's been saying this for years
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #192
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
The more and more I read about it and I know its been said many times but if you take away the hard plastic from the shoulder pads and elbow pads and make everyone play in the basic leather beer league pads it'll essentially eliminate most dirty hits because you are as likely to hurt yourself as you are the other guy and you think twice before throwing it...

Hate to say don cherry is right but he's been saying this for years
Not 100% convinced, but I really think they should try that somewhere.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #193
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you believe that the league has become more safe since the 2012 lockout?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #194
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I lament the constant brainstorming of ways to ruin hockey.

Trapezoids, 3 on 3, jersey ads. All phooey.

Let's get some smaller goalie gear and call it a day and stop changing what is sacred.
Sport isn't sacred.

Sport changes there have been lots of changes to hockey, some quick changes some took time.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote