Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #341
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought three players looked above the level of play in yesterday's game:

Tyler Parsons
Oliver Kylington
Dillon Dube

With the rust starting to come off we'll see how everyone looks in Red Deer. Phillips is a guy I'm really high on and I think he has more to show in particular, but also Eatbread, Valimaki and Joly.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #342
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people get a notion of Kylington because he kind of 'goes for it' in these prospect events. In the AHL he is pretty steady defensively, and even in the preseason last year I thought he was the best defensive prospect that the Flames had on the ice consistently. He does tone down his game and knows how to play it safe and responsible, while still moving the puck up effortlessly (plus, he has a fairly surprising cannon).

I expect him to really push for a spot this year, though it is likely he will be sent down as Kulak has been good last season, and I expect him to take another step this year.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #343
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
He was pretty invisible yesterday. He had one chance that looked like it was going to be a tap in but parsons made the sprawling save.

Overall He's never really wowed me. Maybe I'll be wrong but I don't really see any star potential.

His numbers last year after going back to junior where he started slow ended up good but not great, and he scored less goals than the year before.

Didn't produce in the WHL playoffs or the WJ tourney.

He's trending behind Eberle at the same age by a fair margin.

I think if he makes the NHL, he will end up as a 40-50 point player.
There is real bust potential there though. If he's a 30ish point guy he will be off to Europe because no one has time for a 5'7" 30 point player.

He looks a lot like Jordan Shroeder did for the Canucks or Gilbert Brule with the Blue Jackets. There is obviously the talent but a large portion of their junior game is based on being chippy and getting into difficult areas which doesn't work as well when the opposition isn't made up of junior players.

He still has the potential of being good but I think he is either a second line or Europe type of player
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #344
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Parsons can over commit but man that kid is quick. He's like Kiprusoff on red bull.
Quoting for reference in a few years...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #345
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
He looks a lot like Jordan Shroeder did for the Canucks or Gilbert Brule with the Blue Jackets. There is obviously the talent but a large portion of their junior game is based on being chippy and getting into difficult areas which doesn't work as well when the opposition isn't made up of junior players.

He still has the potential of being good but I think he is either a second line or Europe type of player
If Yamamoto turns into a bonafide NHL second-line player this is a home-run pick for the Oilers. I personally think he tops out as a middle-six 'tweener: a player like Sven Baertschi, Tobias Rieder, or maybe Derek Ryan who can look okay on the second line and can move up and down the lineup a bit, but lacks something (or several things) that keeps him back from being a consistent offensive contributor in the top-six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #346
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those are odd comparisons.

I wouldn't say that Yamamoto's game is largely based on being chippy and scrappy at all. He doesn't shy away from the danger zones on the rink, but he also doesn't thrive at those things.

I'd say his success at the junior levels is largely based on his superior skill set compared to his age group. Now the problem with that lies in that probably about 70% of NHLers fall into that same category.

Yamamoto doesn't have an elite skill set at the NHL level, so he won't be creating the time and space he could in juniors. He couldn't create that time and space yesterday.

His success or lack thereof at the NHL level will be what he does with time and space created by superior linemates.

If he can play the complimentary role for Draisaitl or McDavid then he could have a good NHL career. If he can't think fast enough then he will fail.

Could go either way really.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #347
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's not Yamamoto's game at all so I don't know what you are talking about.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #348
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think people get a notion of Kylington because he kind of 'goes for it' in these prospect events. In the AHL he is pretty steady defensively, and even in the preseason last year I thought he was the best defensive prospect that the Flames had on the ice consistently. He does tone down his game and knows how to play it safe and responsible, while still moving the puck up effortlessly (plus, he has a fairly surprising cannon).

I expect him to really push for a spot this year, though it is likely he will be sent down as Kulak has been good last season, and I expect him to take another step this year.
I think Kulak will be put on waivers, Kylington will take his spot in the NHL, and Valimaki takes on top pairing minutes in the A in his stead.

But that is coming from someone who is extremely high on Kylington, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 PM   #349
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I think Kulak will be put on waivers, Kylington will take his spot in the NHL, and Valimaki takes on top pairing minutes in the A in his stead.

But that is coming from someone who is extremely high on Kylington, so take it with a grain of salt.
Bold prediction: Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington are all top-6 D in the next 18 months.

I really want Kylington to work out.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #350
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great story by Haynes in the Athletic today interviewing a few of the Flames top prospects after this game.
I am a big numbers guy, but I was ready to stop the Athletic after all those coma inducing pieces by Wilson.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #351
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good one on Derek Ryan's journey to the NHL and more recently his free agency experience.

Last edited by red sky; 09-11-2018 at 08:14 AM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post: