Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #1141
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

TLJ defenders can regurgitate all the Just Write and similar YouTube video essays until the banthas come home, nobody is going to be moved an inch, in fact most will only be even more convinced of the opposite.

All I know is that after TFA I was excited for the next chapter, cliche storyline and all. That momentum carried into Rogue One, they did a good job with that and Star Wars was kicking ass again. Then I watched TLJ, felt oddly confused coming out of it and gave it another shot, then discovered I didn’t give a f### about episode IX anymore because everything was pretty much wrapped up and everyone on the Millennium Falcon was in a cheery mood. By the time Solo came around, I only saw it out of obligation and didn’t enjoy it as much as I should have because by then Disney had lost my trust with the IP.

It’s possible that was just my own experience, but the splintering of the fan base, the declining box office/critical response, and most importantly Disney scrapping all SW film plans at the time tells me that it was more than just a few angry entitled internet nerds like TLJ fans want to believe.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #1142
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you want to discuss The Last Jedi, there's a whole thread dedicated solely to discussing that movie.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=159742
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 02:02 AM   #1143
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Not much else to add after completing season 2, it's completely reinvigorated my love for Star Wars after the new trilogy killed my enthusiasm. Also if you haven't seen Bill Burr talking about how he got his role in Mandalorian you should watch this

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #1144
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything about The Mandalorian kicks ass.

Everything about TLJ sucks so bad we shouldn't let it infiltrate any other threads.

This is the way.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #1145
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the way.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:06 PM   #1146
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I rewatched Rogue One the other week and am convinced that it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.

It's a new and refreshing story, but it's definitely still Star Wars (much like the Mandalorian)
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 11:26 PM   #1147
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
I rewatched Rogue One the other week and am convinced that it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.

It's a new and refreshing story, but it's definitely still Star Wars (much like the Mandalorian)
I still think the ROTJ gets underrated due to Ewok hatred. There's a lot of great parts to it. Jabba, the emperor showdown, the final space battle, etc...

Rogue one is great though. Definitely better than any of the prequels or disney trilogy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #1148
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I still think the ROTJ gets underrated due to Ewok hatred. There's a lot of great parts to it. Jabba, the emperor showdown, the final space battle, etc...

Rogue one is great though. Definitely better than any of the prequels or disney trilogy.
agreed. ROTJ is also good
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #1149
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
I would go even further and say Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie other than The Empire Strikes Back, full stop. Better than the original.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Star Wars ((Episode IV): A New Hope)
4. Return of the Jedi
5. ... Revenge of the Sith, I guess?
6. and lower: whatever, various shades of crap
unranked: Solo (never bothered seeing it)
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #1150
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I would go even further and say Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie other than The Empire Strikes Back, full stop. Better than the original.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Star Wars ((Episode IV): A New Hope)
4. Return of the Jedi
5. ... Revenge of the Sith, I guess?
6. and lower: whatever, various shades of crap
unranked: Solo (never bothered seeing it)
Solo was poor overall, but I thought the second half was quite enjoyable with the Kessel run.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #1151
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Solo. It doesn't match up to any of the original trilogy or Rogue one, but it's better than most of the sequel and prequel trilogies.

With that in mind, here is my personal ranking. Some movies change based on my mood but it goes something like this:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. A New Hope
4. Return of The Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge of The Sith
7. Solo
8. Phantom Menace
9. Attack of The Clones
10. The Last Jedi
11. The Rise of Skywalker
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #1152
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I actually liked Solo, maybe because the casting choices for Lando and Woody just plain worked. The main actor wasn't bad as Han, but was doomed to fail because of the Harrison factor.

Ok my list

1) Empire - Complete movie in every way with some great dialogue and the rare, the bad guy kicks the crap out of the hero's cliff hanger
2) ANH - The original, shocked you at first, the dialogue is stilted and awkward at times, but a great story line
3) Rogue One - Everything I wanted with no Jedi . . . well kinda. Some really cool concepts built around one line in the ANH crawler
4) Return of the Jedi - Overall it was good, introduced us to the Emperor, yeah the Ewoks was kind of a weird choice, but if they would have done wookies the battle would have been over in minutes
5) Revenge of the Sith - Sue me I liked it, could have been longer, or split into two movies to deepen Anakin's fall, but the Palpatine back story coming to an end was great
6) The Force Awakens - It was a reboot of ANH, but decently done, I really liked Daisy in it
7) Phantom Menace - Deeply flawed and over CGI'd but had some really cool moments that I liked
8) Solo - Again liked some of the casting and the second half was really good to me.

9) Attack of the Clones - Attack of the bad dialogue, the idea of the Clone Wars as presented was very cool though, again built from a throwaway line in ANH
10) The Last Jedi - A train wreck, right from the start. Not much in the way of redeemable scenes
11) ROS - A desperate attempt to save the trilogy that fell flat to me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #1153
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Solo was poor overall, but I thought the second half was quite enjoyable with the Kessel run.
Interesting. I liked the first half of Solo, but then it lost me when it went all CGI. I thought the first half of Solo did a great job of portraying what life was like for the average person under the Empire.

I think Star Wars is at its best when it's most basic and the space stuff is just a backdrop for the people. Plus, there's something about the CGI that Disney was using for Star Wars, pre-Mandalorian, that was just non-Star Warsy. It always pulled me right out of the moment. Not unlike, when Lucas decided to add all those effects to the original movies.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #1154
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Not unlike, when Lucas decided to add all those effects to the original movies.
last week all 3 trilogies (minus RoS) were playing on a loop on Showcase. it was the dumbass special editions of the OT. when they got to Mos Eisley and at one point the entire screen was taken over by a stupid CGI dinosaur walking in the foreground, I turned that s### right off and dug up the Despecialized editions. felt sooo much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #1155
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
last week all 3 trilogies (minus RoS) were playing on a loop on Showcase. it was the dumbass special editions of the OT. when they got to Mos Eisley and at one point the entire screen was taken over by a stupid CGI dinosaur walking in the foreground, I turned that s### right off and dug up the Despecialized editions. felt sooo much better.
Where did you get those?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #1156
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Where did you get those?
Yaar matey. Only place for them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #1157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

unless you own copies of them and got them moved from VHS in all their poppy goodness to DVD, then uploaded them on your home server.

Now if I could get someone to translate the laser disc versions over

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #1158
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
unless you own copies of them and got them moved from VHS in all their poppy goodness to DVD, then uploaded them on your home server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmy%...alized_Edition

Quote:
Harmy's Despecialized Edition is a fan-created film preservation of the original Star Wars trilogy films: Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983). It is a high quality replica of the out-of-print theatrical versions created by a team of Star Wars fans, with the intention of preserving the films, culturally and historically. The project was led by Petr Harmáček, an English teacher from Plzeň, Czech Republic under the online alias Harmy.
unless you have experience with this kind of thing, have a friend or relative that is skilled in the dark arts of the internet retrieve it for you. what a dedicated (i.e. immeasurably obsessed) group of fans is able to accomplish is leagues ahead of what Disney's army of disinterested interns could do, even if they wanted to release original versions.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #1159
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

The despecalized editions have been meticulously created using the highest quality source for each scene, so blu-ray release for the majority, and then laser disc or DVD for all the scenes that Lucas butchered. They are the definitive way to watch Star Wars, the one guy behind the project has put a crapload of time into it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #1160
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
The fact that the CGI has aged horribly does not help things.