Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #1041
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, let's put it this way. Din had significant difficulty facing down one dark trooper. Din also had difficulty with Ahsoka, but didn't get immediately obliterated. That suggests that Ahsoka would have some difficulty with one dark trooper. Yet Luke had no difficulty with, what, 20 of them? Luke might be more powerful than Ahsoka, but it's not, yknow, orders of magnitude. It's just a bit jarring to have a show establish a bad guy to be really scary and dangerous and then undercut that completely within a 20 minute period by then treating that bad guy like a total non-threat.

I reiterate though that this is a relatively minor complaint. I overall liked the episode a lot.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #1042
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon53

I follow your logic, but frankly the suspension of my disbelief is pretty easily kept up with the explanation that Mando brought a human element of unpredictability to his fight with Ahsoka, and that she very quickly let up, whereas the dark troopers aren't particularly bright AI and Mando had trouble with one because of its overwhelming physical strength and resistance to blaster damage. It's maybe a bit of hand-waving, but I think Ahsoka and Luke are wont to show some restraint when dealing with people, and much less so when dispatching big dumb robots.

Similarly I noticed some comments saying, "Hey, what happened to Bo-Katan's other minion—the dude? Was he not present because it was an excuse to show a Girl Power™ moment?" I didn't see the need to read into it any further than "We're catching up with these characters after some time; Bo-Katan probably sent the other guy off on his own following a different lead to Gideon."
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #1043
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hesitant to accept that hand-waving because I don't see why Ahsoka would give any quarter to Elsbeth in her fight in that episode, so that would also require Elsbeth to be a ludicrously strong fighter despite not being a Jedi. Anyway. Whatever.

Did anyone else notice that Reeves hit Boba Fett with a Tornado DDT through a table? That was pretty funny. I guess that sort of thing is just required when you cast a professional wrestler.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:58 AM   #1044
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Ahsoka mentioned that there are hardly any Jedi left (maybe 3 or 4? I'm sure the hardcore nerds can answer that question). To me it makes sense that Luke would be the one to answer Grogu's call, as he'd probably be the most powerful and well-known Jedi during this time period.

I'm with you in that I really hope they don't suddenly turn this series into the adventures of Luke & Grogu. And I agree that they should stay away from the Skywalkers from here on out. But c'mon man, that entire sequence was f'n awesome. You can't tell me that didn't put a huge smile on your face and make your inner 10-year old squeal with joy. I mean yea, it was total fan service. But it was just so damn enjoyable.
That and Boba's episode were fan service done CORRECTLY.

Luke showing up in response to Grogu's call at this time was logical and therefore fits the narrative naturally. Boba seeking to reclaim his armour if he had survived is logical and therefore fits the narrative naturally.

The shoehorning of Palpatine was "bad nostalgia" precisely because it was forced, required more than a few leaps in logic and as a result reduced the significance of earlier events. It wasn't the natural next step in the plot which had nothing to do with him for two whole movies leading into it. No hints, no foreshadowing, just a sudden reappearance and with an army, no less. Doesnt fit the narrative naturally.

There is a tasteful and appropriate way to weave old characters into a new story, but it has to be that logical next step in where that story is going. It was in the instances this season.

Another reason as to why these guys are having great success.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #1045
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341013863110762496

They will be 2 separate shows!

Thank god! I was really hoping they didn't do season 3 as a Boba Fett thing.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #1046
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's good, I was thinking that now that Bobba and Fennic's obligations are done it wouldn't take much to put them on the other side of the fence if the Empire offered a bounty of Din or someone else did.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #1047
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah what I liked about the end credit scene is that it showed Boba is still a bad dude. Sure he has a code, but if that’s not protecting you from him, watch out. I doubt he’s sitting on Jabbas throne with the intention of running a charity.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #1048
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm sure he still donates to the Empires wounded clone warrior charity.

I like that they shades of grey'd him here. Sometime George was very much black and white with his characters and Bobba in the OT was classed as an evil bounty hunter.

Bobba defines honor by contract. Karen Traviss kind of did this in her books about him and Jango. He'll honor a contract, but when its over, you go your separate way unless your name comes up and the money is good.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #1049
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I thought it was cool and all, but I thought they made him too powerful. Or more accurately, they made the dark troopers too powerful and terrifying in its initial fight against Din, such that when Luke makes hilariously easy work of a dozen or more of them, he either looks like some sort of force-wielding God creature, or Din (and anyone who has ever fought Din) looks incredibly weak. So that was unfortunate. But I'm probably nitpicking.
Luke is supposed to be one of the most powerful Jedis of all time. He comes from Anakin's line. Anakin was supposed to be next level powerful. Even after Anakin has many of his powers severely hampered following the Obi Wan battle, he's still very powerful as Darth Vader. Luke, uninjured, you'd expect to be considerably more powerful than Vader.

Like I said before, tossing around some machines is probably about right for his power level, as opposed to Rey stopping a space ship in mid flight and blowing it up...or whatever Palpatine did.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #1050
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Din doesn't have the force, he's an excellent fighter, but that fight comes down to weapons system and armor, and training versus programming.

Armor wise they were pretty much equal. Weapons, didn't matter that much, and programming is quicker and more decisive then training. So yeah, I can see where Din would get his face caved in or anyone else against the Dark Troopers.

Force users are on another level, even the weakest force users have a huge advantage with speed strength, the ability to see events before they happen. Its why people would eventually not trust the Jedi. Because in a GFFA where you had these wars between force users, the rest of us were basically swept along with no control and victimized by these so called god advantages.

Its no surprise that Luke wrecked the dark troopers, While Luke was never the most powerful Force User in history, he was still very powerful compared to most. Just think what a Yoda, or Anakin unarmored or even god forbid Palpatine would do to the Dark Troopers.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #1051
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Luke is supposed to be one of the most powerful Jedis of all time. He comes from Anakin's line.
I buy this... to an extent. He might have the raw ability, but he got a fraction of the training a typical Jedi would receive. And he frankly left before he was ready. He bailed from Dagobah with Yoda telling him not to go, that his training wasn't done. And he never received any more, since Yoda died the next time they met.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #1052
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I buy this... to an extent. He might have the raw ability, but he got a fraction of the training a typical Jedi would receive. And he frankly left before he was ready. He bailed from Dagobah with Yoda telling him not to go, that his training wasn't done. And he never received any more, since Yoda died the next time they met.
Presumably since ROTJ and the Mandalorian, Luke has been focusing on his training, reviewing the old Jedi texts, restoring the order, etc...

I also don't think it's fair to just state Mando was on the level with Ahsoka, and Mando had trouble with one trooper, so one trooper = Ahsoka. Mando was in a closed and confined space when battling the Dark Trooper, who was overwhelming him with pure brute force. If Mando had the room to evade, it would have been a different fight. As others mentioned, the Dark Troopers also lack human intelligence. So a Jedi, who is able to logically predict the Dark Troopers' moves is going to be at a huge advantage. I thought they did a pretty great job of portraying that in the fight. Luke is able to use objects in the environment to delay the Dark Troopers enough to take them out one by one. The Dark Troopers, as droids, lack the ability to use any kind of cunning or improvisation. They basically just walk directly at Luke and try to overwhelm him, which isn't going to work.

Mando also needed some time to find the Dark Trooper's weak points, whereas, this was clearly intuitive to Luke. Also, having a light sabre than can cut through the Dark Troopers was clearly a pretty huge advantage, vs. a blaster that just bounced off. At the end of the day, that may have been the difference maker. Just having a better weapon for the job. If Mando's blaster had cut through the Dark Troopers, the way Luke's lightsabre did, it wouldn't have been a very close fight....or a very entertaining episode for that matter. The Dark Troopers strategy of running into foes and overwhelming them with brute strength is pretty weak, when your opponent has a sabre that cuts through you like butter.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #1053
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t be the only one who thought that was just a scene for fun and that The Book of Boba Fett was going to be a literal book, can I?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #1054
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I can’t be the only one who thought that was just a scene for fun and that The Book of Boba Fett was going to be a literal book, can I?
I think you might be.

That being said I want to see Boba Fett carrying a book for the entire series. Preferably an accounting ledger he is using to see how much people owe him.

And then, as I complained about Mando using a comical old-timey looking glass, if theres a way we can get Boba in one of those Green Visors with comically oversized glasses on the outside of his helmet as he intimidates people who owe him money.

This is a show we need in our lives.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #1055
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In the Legacy series Karen Traviss had these pages where she talked about Bobba logging in to his stock exchange software while he was flying around, and calling his broker.

I'm sure that there is a quickbooks touchscreen on Slave 1.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #1056
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Presumably since ROTJ and the Mandalorian, Luke has been focusing on his training, reviewing the old Jedi texts, restoring the order, etc...

I also don't think it's fair to just state Mando was on the level with Ahsoka, and Mando had trouble with one trooper, so one trooper = Ahsoka. Mando was in a closed and confined space when battling the Dark Trooper, who was overwhelming him with pure brute force. If Mando had the room to evade, it would have been a different fight. As others mentioned, the Dark Troopers also lack human intelligence. So a Jedi, who is able to logically predict the Dark Troopers' moves is going to be at a huge advantage. I thought they did a pretty great job of portraying that in the fight. Luke is able to use objects in the environment to delay the Dark Troopers enough to take them out one by one. The Dark Troopers, as droids, lack the ability to use any kind of cunning or improvisation. They basically just walk directly at Luke and try to overwhelm him, which isn't going to work.

Mando also needed some time to find the Dark Trooper's weak points, whereas, this was clearly intuitive to Luke. Also, having a light sabre than can cut through the Dark Troopers was clearly a pretty huge advantage, vs. a blaster that just bounced off. At the end of the day, that may have been the difference maker. Just having a better weapon for the job. If Mando's blaster had cut through the Dark Troopers, the way Luke's lightsabre did, it wouldn't have been a very close fight....or a very entertaining episode for that matter. The Dark Troopers strategy of running into foes and overwhelming them with brute strength is pretty weak, when your opponent has a sabre that cuts through you like butter.
I think you could really just boil this down to a common gripe that I think I've mentioned a million times.

The Engineers who work for The Empire suck.

They have tiny, lightly armored craft with no shields that routinely get blown out of the sky.

Their most powerful warships entire defensive capabilities rest way out in the open where its super easy to shoot them and have the structural integrity of Faberge Eggs.

Their Stormtrooper's 'Armor' cannot stop slingshots, bows and arrows and rocks let alone...blaster fire? What is the point of this stuff?

Their main trooper's guns either have a serious factory deficiency in terms of aim and accuracy or there are significant training issues there.

And their ingenious super-weapons routinely have laughably preposterous weaknesses.

Worst. Engineers. Ever.

So I wasnt expecting the Dark Troopers to be any good really.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #1057
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You forgot that they routinely lose engineers due to a stunning lack of safety features. (No hand rails, super lasers going down a hallway past exposed people on a thin ledge. Trash compactors with no sensors to protect people that fall in).

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #1058
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post

It's implied he completed it after Cloud City. The whole "Shadows of the Empire" story line between Empire and Jedi.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #1059
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God that book was just flat out weird. The Han Solo substitute, I think his name was Dash Rendar, the over the top cocky, best starpilot ever who took down AT-AT's on hoth blindfolded.

The whole Prince Xizor thing where he used his hormones to try to get Leia to take a bath with him. there was also one scene where he literally tried to get her to give him a lapdance during a meeting. The sexbot assassin.

One thermal detonator takes down a 300 story building.

Chewie deciding to go kamikaze for no reason.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #1060
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fun video game though! Even if I never got much past the sewers beneath Xizor's base.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote