Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #961
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
There's a great podcast about Rob Ford and it discussed that same strategy, and why it wasn't as genuine as it seemed. Basically it's for populist support, not because he cared - and his "call back" list was managed by staff, not out of his own volition.
Yeah, basically reply with "we're looking into it, doing all we can, etc." knowing nothing would be done. Then the person would be all "The mayor called me back! He really cares."
Old 01-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #962
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Deerfoot isn't even a city responsibility.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #963
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1349752939791831041

He's still going on about this today. Talk about picking the weirdest hill to die on, complete with misleading statements!
The first reply to that tweet.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349756066544775170

Love how they throw the bit in there about "pedestrians, transit riders, and those with moblity issues." Because I'm sure they really care about that.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #964
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

Love how they throw the bit in there about "pedestrians, transit riders, and those with moblity issues." Because I'm sure they really care about that.
I didn't realize the cycling budget was so high. It's insane to me that the cost of clearing bike lanes is equivalent to clearing all the roads for the 1.3 million calgarians. Spendshi indeed.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #965
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I didn't realize the cycling budget was so high. It's insane to me that the cost of clearing bike lanes is equivalent to clearing all the roads for the 1.3 million calgarians. Spendshi indeed.
Ah nuts, he's onto us at the big evil bike lobby. Guess the gravy train is over.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #966
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Farkas is such a whiny little bitch. Imagine that being your guy.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #967
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

I'm the furthest thing from a Farkas supporter, but there is something to this. People in wheelchairs or who use walkers have major problems with the windrows created when they do plow. I don't really think that's a bike lane vs. roads issue (I like the bike lanes and they should build more), but I know a number of people affected by this and I do think that more should be done to avoid it. It really does trap these people, and creates a barrier for them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #968
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm the furthest thing from a Farkas supporter, but there is something to this. People in wheelchairs or who use walkers have major problems with the windrows created when they do plow. I don't really think that's a bike lane vs. roads issue (I like the bike lanes and they should build more), but I know a number of people affected by this and I do think that more should be done to avoid it. It really does trap these people, and creates a barrier for them.

The point is that the bike lane clearance would allow you to clean 1 boulevard in Silverado, which barely anyone uses anyway. The idea that prioritizing a transportation corridor downtown that gets used by people to get to work is taking away from clearing Glenmore, Crowchild or Macleod is absurd. It comes at the expense of clearing a community road that serves even less people from less parts of the city.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #969
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The culdesac I live in was never entirely cleared.

The 5-10 daily drivers that frequent this culdesac should take priority over the 100+ daily winter cyclists that use the 12th ave. I am outraged.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #970
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CJ already touched on this, but he's 100% right.
Clearing the bike lanes has a completely negligible impact on the pace at which major roads get cleaned.

This is the equivalent of telling a traffic cop "don't you know there are murders to solve?"

Well yeah, there are, that's not my job, and if I stopped doing this those murders don't get solved faster, this job just doesn't get done.

Not clearing the bike lanes doesn't mean Deerfood gets done quicker, it just means the bike lanes don't get cleared.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #971
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This highlights the real issue.

The city doesn't plow sidewalks (unless they border city property), that's a building owner responsibility. The city does plow roads and pathways, so the cycle track being Priority 1 is because wheelchair users and others with mobility issues can use them if the sidewalks are impassable. Accessibility issues have been a long standing problem. Similar to windrows creating barriers at crossings, contractors are paid to clear a bus stop, but the plow wind rows the curb, creating barriers between bus stops and the bus, another accessibility problem (and general safety concern).

The narrative shouldn't be that cycle tracks are getting priority, it should be that areas with high pedestrian traffic where accessibility issues arise aren't the priority. But the solution to the problem costs money, and doesn't win any favor with the 'cut taxes, but also plow and remove snow from my cul-de-sac' crowd.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #972
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
The point is that the bike lane clearance would allow you to clean 1 boulevard in Silverado, which barely anyone uses anyway. The idea that prioritizing a transportation corridor downtown that gets used by people to get to work is taking away from clearing Glenmore, Crowchild or Macleod is absurd. It comes at the expense of clearing a community road that serves even less people from less parts of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
CJ already touched on this, but he's 100% right.
Clearing the bike lanes has a completely negligible impact on the pace at which major roads get cleaned.

This is the equivalent of telling a traffic cop "don't you know there are murders to solve?"

Well yeah, there are, that's not my job, and if I stopped doing this those murders don't get solved faster, this job just doesn't get done.

Not clearing the bike lanes doesn't mean Deerfood gets done quicker, it just means the bike lanes don't get cleared.
I didn't mean to imply there was something to that end of the conversation. I was just referring the to mobility issues and clearing, which I hoped was evident in my post. I just think that for people with mobility issues, the snow clearing leaves a lot to be desired. I've been out with people in wheelchairs or with a walker, and it's honestly a nightmare.

In a perfect world, the city would clear all the snow from every street and truck it away (or melt it away). I don't want to pay taxes for all that, so I'm fine with things the way they are.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #973
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jeromy Farkas is rousing up suburbanite outrage with a false dichotomy?

I am shocked! Shocked!

timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #974
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How the hell can anyone digest Farkas and want some more?

Is it not incredibly obvious how he has no issues conflating things to pander to his base? I can’t repeat it enough...we are one of the lowest taxed places in Canada, yet consistently rank exceptionally high on livability and satisfaction indexes. What exactly is the problem?
Old 01-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #975
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And Farkas knows all this - he's not a dummy, I'll give him that - but he's purposely framing this item to enrage Calgarians and follow him to "Clean Up City Hall". That alone is enough to make me not want to vote for him; then there's all the other stuff he does. Maybe Rick Bell can be his campaign manager.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #976
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
How the hell can anyone digest Farkas and want some more?

Is it not incredibly obvious how he has no issues conflating things to pander to his base? I can’t repeat it enough...we are one of the lowest taxed places in Canada, yet consistently rank exceptionally high on livability and satisfaction indexes. What exactly is the problem?
The problem is that, like everywhere else, Calgary is also home to a bunch of entitled rubes who don't understand the world around them and are as gullible as small children through their entire adulthood.

I would be surprised if Farkas supporters could complete a basic math equation or even get through a children's book without becoming somewhat confused.

I assume they think secretly think Santa is real and that eating watermelon seeds will make a watermelon grow inside their belly.

Basically, Farkas supporters have never entertained a critical, well-reasoned, or logical thought in their lives. They don't know what makes water boil they just know what number you turn the dial to.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #977
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol, definitely going to steal this.

Quote:
They don't know what makes water boil they just know what number you turn the dial to.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 06:15 PM   #978
KPat99
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Where is the best place to get information on mayoral candidates and councillors. I would like to read policy and voting history and such from somewhere that has these things amalgamated. Where do you all get your info?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #979
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait until they kick their campaigns into gear then check election websites, collect literature that comes to your door, read stories in the media, attend forums.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #980
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, this is way to soon. What does this look like, America?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat