Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #901
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Who knew that the only thing holding back the over 10,000km worth of roads from prompt snow clearing is 3km of cycle track cleared using different equipment.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #902
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Finally someone brave enough to take on the cyclists. Farkas is a shoe in for mayor, Nenshi need not apply.
The transportation planning in this City is ####ing terrible. But are there really cyclists demanding that they get priority light sequencing and bizarro lane arrangements? Or is this just Farkas being his usual pandering to idiocy self?
Old 01-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #903
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The transportation planning in this City is ####ing terrible. But are there really cyclists demanding that they get priority light sequencing and bizarro lane arrangements? Or is this just Farkas being his usual pandering to idiocy self?
As usual with Farkas, there is a kernel of truth but his hysterical reaction is out of proportion to the reality of the situation. Nobody is demanding anything and Calgary is still a city that caters overwhelmingly to people in cars.

But yes, there are various cycling and active transportation groups putting proposals to groups at City Hall and the Transportation Planning Committee. In some cases, they may be asking for different lane arrangements or priority light sequencing. In others they might be asking for missing connections to be filled in, or for the "covid lanes" of the summer to be made permanent.

There are pros and cons to most of these proposals, but they're not radical, pie-in-the-sky transformations (no-one is proposing banning cars from downtown, for example) so it would be in the best interests of all of us for the city (including Farkas) to listen with an open mind and debate, because that's how democracy works.

You might be surprised to learn, for example, that around the world there's evidence that smart, cycling-friendly road modifications can actually improve the flow of traffic for all of us by reducing congestion (bikes being smaller and more efficient than cars and trucks). There's also evidence that cycling-friendly modifications help us make a more inclusive city because the kinds of changes required to make a bike friendly city (i.e. space, ramps, snow clearing) also tend to help people with disabilities. But most surprisingly, it can be good for the economy too — on a macro level the kinds of people who work in "new economy" jobs want to live in modern, inclusive cities not the suburbs; and on a micro level people on bikes are more likely to stop and grab a coffee from a local business.

Or we could just dismiss the idea out of hand because a biker cut me off at a stop sign this morning so #### all those lycra-wearing freaks, they think they're better than me? Roads are for cars!

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-08-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #904
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to propose banning all cars. Farkas must be talking about me.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #905
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In addition to bridge tolls, city limit enter tolls and a congestion charges, Id also support just making the cycle lanes over 6m wide so we can use the regular snow clearing equipment on them.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347523668516237315

I know, I know. It’s not a winter city so we can’t use them to justify why we should have better cycling infrastructure...
Old 01-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #906
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
As usual with Farkas, there is a kernel of truth but his hysterical reaction is out of proportion to the reality of the situation. Nobody is demanding anything and Calgary is still a city that caters overwhelmingly to people in cars.

But yes, there are various cycling and active transportation groups putting proposals to groups at City Hall and the Transportation Planning Committee. In some cases, they may be asking for different lane arrangements or priority light sequencing. In others they might be asking for missing connections to be filled in, or for the "covid lanes" of the summer to be made permanent.

There are pros and cons to most of these proposals, but they're not radical, pie-in-the-sky transformations (no-one is proposing banning cars from downtown, for example) so it would be in the best interests of all of us for the city (including Farkas) to listen with an open mind and debate, because that's how democracy works.

You might be surprised to learn, for example, that around the world there's evidence that smart, cycling-friendly road modifications can actually improve the flow of traffic for all of us by reducing congestion (bikes being smaller and more efficient than cars and trucks). There's also evidence that cycling-friendly modifications help us make a more inclusive city because the kinds of changes required to make a bike friendly city (i.e. space, ramps, snow clearing) also tend to help people with disabilities. But most surprisingly, it can be good for the economy too — on a macro level the kinds of people who work in "new economy" jobs want to live in modern, inclusive cities not the suburbs; and on a micro level people on bikes are more likely to stop and grab a coffee from a local business.

Or we could just dismiss the idea out of hand because a biker cut me off at a stop sign this morning so #### all those lycra-wearing freaks, they think they're better than me? Roads are for cars!
how many square KM are these bike friendly cities you speak of compared to Calgary and what are their subway systems like in comparison? How it it possible to make Calgary a city where a vast number of people can get by with a bike and without a car?
Seems to be an infrastructure change that is almost impossible, at least in my lifetime.
I want to see the bike people create and also cost out a say a 20 year plan for the transformation of a prairie city.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #907
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess we did forget about the real reason for stirring this stuff up

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347684817358385153
Old 01-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #908
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I guess we did forget about the real reason for stirring this stuff up

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347684817358385153

Is this going to lead to some bizarro way gerrymandering in the future?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #909
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's classic Rob Anders campaigning technique. Solicit feedback about an issue that riles up the elderly and/or conservative. Then use that personal information as the basis for targeted campaigning.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #910
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Jasmine Mian announced she is running in Ward 3. An Olympic wrestler (and Commonwealth Games bronze medallist), but has Masters in Psychology and Public Policy and likes pedestrian safety.

She was also a big supporter of Jyoti Gondek. Which is why I think this is notable as I think it signals that Gondek is going to make a run for mayor. Might be looking too much into it, but there’s been rumblings about it ever since she got elected so now I’m just looking for signs.

It’s also notable that Larry Heather intends to run for mayor again. Maybe this will finally be his year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #911
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another person running for mayor:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349363673949634560
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #912
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
So Jasmine Mian announced she is running in Ward 3. An Olympic wrestler (and Commonwealth Games bronze medallist), but has Masters in Psychology and Public Policy and likes pedestrian safety.
She is a beast.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #913
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Another person running for mayor:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349363673949634560
This sounds like another Brad Field candidate. "Run a city like a business" approach.

He also appears to be pro-development and suburban sprawl. That would be an instant no from me.

The more time goes on the more I hope Jyonti Gondek runs. That would probably be Calgary's best bet in the field of candidates IMO.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #914
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Ray Jones had an early retirement, some in the newer boarders of Ward 10 will finally have a new councilor in a very, very long time. The first candidate is actually an old face - Andre Chabot has put name down to return as Ward 10 (old boundaries) councilor.

https://livewirecalgary.com/2021/01/...-city-council/

I'm actually hoping for a fresh face for my old ward since that's a part of the town that has largely been neglected from vision and growth. Would be ideal to have someone that wants to gets projects and ideas done to revitalize the area.

There was one candidate in the previous election (which had a billion candidates) that was business focused, and wanted 36 Street to have a study done in revitalizing the corridor. I think he would be a great candidate for the ward. Bigger vision than just street lighting and safety.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #915
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Hell yes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349491456503816195
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #916
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
@Bunk - Where do I get a lawn sign??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #917
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't agreed with her on everything, but I think she'd make a good mayor. It depends on who else runs, but there's a good chance she'll get my vote.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #918
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Getting my Jyoti lawn sign ASAP
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #919
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume this means Nenshi isn't going to run...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #920
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would def vote for her

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat