Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #81
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You know its funny because Phasma was just so badly executed.

With Boba Fett they spent Empire establishing him as a legit bad a$$, then they killed him in a silly way in Jedi.

With TFA she just stood there looking shiny, when it came time to test her she was stupid and a coward. Then in TLJ, they started establishing her, and then she got her face kicked in by what was basically a lesser Storm Trooper. She looked awesome but she was never made to be awesome, or brave, or anything but a homer Simpson in nice Armor.

Now from the nerd point of view.

The whole shiny thing really goes against the whole concept of the Storm Trooper ideal.

When you saw Trooper officers you either saw them in their black uniforms like on the Tantive in ANH. or on the Death Star

Or you saw officers in the same armor as the regular troops except they had different colored rank shoulder tabs.

What makes the concept of Storm Troopers awesome were that they were faceless, relentless, and they all looked the same like cogs in a machine, they didn't differentiate because they were made this way by design.
I definitely agree with you. The Empire was basically a loose analogy for the Nazi regime. All of the officers were old white British men, while the rebel alliance featured people of different races, genders, and species. The Rebel Alliance was lead by Mon Mothma.

The Empire was definitely about conformity, and only Darth Vader and the Empire's guard appeared to deviate from the standard. Basically, the Emperor's way of demonstrating he was in charge.

I think this was just another one of the details, Johnson, who didn't come as having much knowledge of the original material at all, missed.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #82
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

With Boba Fett they spent Empire establishing him as a legit bad a$$, then they killed him in a silly way in Jedi.
Did they really build him as a bad ass?

One of the biggest differences I think between people who watched the OT as kids in the 80s, and those of us born after 1985 that didn't watch them until we were older is how we see Boba Fett.

Really Boba Fett is mostly just a pushover in those movies, he looked cool, and really his only success was tracking the Falcon to Cloud City (where Vader then did all the real bad ass stuff), and then going out like a chump in Returns.

He has four lines in Empire and none in Returns.

"As you wish."
"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."
"He's no good to me dead."
"Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold."

No real bad ass lines/moments in there to me and really his importance in the OT is completely over exaggerated.

IMO Phasma and Fett are identical. Both look cool but both are mostly irrelevant and completely pushovers when it comes down to their impact on the movie, and both have comedic deaths.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-06-2019 at 02:11 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #83
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

One of the biggest differences I think between people who watched the OT as kids in the 80s, and those of us born after 1985 that didn't watch them until we were older is how we see Boba Fett.

Really Boba Fett is mostly just a pushover in those movies, he looked cool, and really his only success was tracking the Falcon to Cloud City (where Vader then did all the real bad ass stuff), and then going out like a chump in Returns.

"As you wish."

No real bad ass lines/moments in there to me and really his importance in the OT is completely over exaggerated.

IMO Phasma and Fett are identical. Both look cool but both are mostly irrelevant and completely pushovers when it comes down to their impact on the movie, and both have comedic deaths.

I always thought Bobba was better portrayed as a Bad a$$, even without looking at the Special edition of a new hope. And the lack of lines worked for him. I always thought he was portrayed like that guy in the corner in the old Samuri movements that never really did much, but he let off a aura of menace.

Empire Strikes Back

"No disintegration" directly from Vader to the bounty hunters and Bobba. Kind of makes you think that he's disintegrated his share of targets.

Only real guy on the bad guys side that wasn't afraid to question Vader. You get a sense that most people wouldn't speak up to Vader even if he killed their bounty.

He had two scenes which showed really good intelligence.

Being dumped with the garbage, the fake out and return to take a shot at Luke. He knows his targets.

He named his ship Slave 1, that had to rankle Lando, but Bobba didn't care or apologize.

In return of the Jedi, walking around Jabba's palace like he owned the place. When obvious danger appears, he touches the girl on her cheek like, I got this get ready to see me out of this armor later.

He was never scared, he jumped right into the barge against 3 guys.

Then they killed him.

Now, the one thing that I want to say is that Star Wars fans got a little obsessive about the guy and super elevated him in Lore when he was basically always going to be killed in a easy manner to show how powerful Luke and his friends are.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #84
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I definitely agree with you. The Empire was basically a loose analogy for the Nazi regime. All of the officers were old white British men, while the rebel alliance featured people of different races, genders, and species. The Rebel Alliance was lead by Mon Mothma.

The Empire was definitely about conformity, and only Darth Vader and the Empire's guard appeared to deviate from the standard. Basically, the Emperor's way of demonstrating he was in charge.

I think this was just another one of the details, Johnson, who didn't come as having much knowledge of the original material at all, missed.

Definately agree with the Nazi's, but there was also a touch of Chinese and Russia under Stalin in there as well. Palpatine was parts Hitler, Mao and Stalin

The Empire was all about Order, it was designed to put the power in the hands of one individual. It was about giving up individual rights in exchange for security and order. Everything was a cog in that machine.

Their primary fighters were fairly weak, and un shielded, they were designed to overwhelm and swarm individuals. The Storm Troopers were designed to intimidate. In canon there weren't a lot of Storm Troopers in the Empire, they were like the marines. When they showed up it was because Shyte got real. For the most part you would get the Imperial Army which was portrayed very well in Solo.

The interesting item was the Death Star. It didn't really fit into the design of the Empire, mainly because it was a massively over powered individual killing machine. The idea of a massive intimidating fleet crewed by face less pilots and troopers that were utterly dedicated to enforcing Imperial law and order made more sense and was more intimidating because if one Star Destroyer went down a dozen could take its place.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #85
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

"As you wish."

Yeah, I always just thought Boba Fett just caught on, because he looked cool and was kind of mysterious. He wasn't a very big part of TOS, but his fame grew throughout the expanded universe and fan fiction.

I actually did not like what they did with him in the prequels. In TOS Fett is a huge jerk, and totally ruthless. He has to be warned by Vader to tone it down. In the prequels they attempted to make him and his father out to be noble characters, who were just victims of circumstance. I didn't like that. Fett was a way cooler character as just kind of a jerk who went around doing jerk things.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Still love the Robot chicken Fett

Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #87
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Definately agree with the Nazi's, but there was also a touch of Chinese and Russia under Stalin in there as well. Palpatine was parts Hitler, Mao and Stalin

The Empire was all about Order, it was designed to put the power in the hands of one individual. It was about giving up individual rights in exchange for security and order. Everything was a cog in that machine.

Their primary fighters were fairly weak, and un shielded, they were designed to overwhelm and swarm individuals. The Storm Troopers were designed to intimidate. In canon there weren't a lot of Storm Troopers in the Empire, they were like the marines. When they showed up it was because Shyte got real. For the most part you would get the Imperial Army which was portrayed very well in Solo.

The interesting item was the Death Star. It didn't really fit into the design of the Empire, mainly because it was a massively over powered individual killing machine. The idea of a massive intimidating fleet crewed by face less pilots and troopers that were utterly dedicated to enforcing Imperial law and order made more sense and was more intimidating because if one Star Destroyer went down a dozen could take its place.
I think part of this is that the image of the machine is just an illusion, and the empire is actually a way for the Emperor to seek individual power. Whenever Vader and the Emperor talk about their rule, it's always about the individual and the goal of attaining individual power. At no point do they talk about what's best for the galaxy or the benefits order to the citizens. The Empire, who think they are a genuine government, are actually just working for the benefit of the Sith.

But yeah, you're right, the Empire weren't necessarily Nazis, but more fascists/totalitarians generally, who were inspired by various real life regimes.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think part of this is that the image of the machine is just an illusion, and the empire is actually a way for the Emperor to seek individual power. Whenever Vader and the Emperor talk about their rule, it's always about the individual and the goal of attaining individual power. At no point do they talk about what's best for the galaxy or the benefits order to the citizens. The Empire, who think they are a genuine government, are actually just working for the benefit of the Sith.

But yeah, you're right, the Empire weren't necessarily Nazis, but more fascists/totalitarians generally, who were inspired by various real life regimes.

Its really interesting because of the book Dark Lord which is one of the best Palpatine books out there besides Plageius and both have become legends.

But Palpatine wanted both. He wanted individual power because he could use that to reform the galaxy in the way that he wanted.

Quotes from Dark Lord the Rise of Darth Vader

Quote:
“For the moment it was enough that his advisers and minions respected him–for reestablishing peace, for eliminating the group that had posed the greatest threat to continued stability–but eventually those same advisers would need to fear him. To understand the great power he wielded, as both Emperor and Dark Lord of the Sith. And to that end, Sidious needed Vader. For if someone as potent as Vader answered to the Emperor, then how powerful must the Emperor be!”

Quote:
“Under the rule of the ancient Sith, the future of the galaxy had been in the able hands of many dark sovereigns. Now responsibility for maintaining order rested only with Darth Sidious.”

Quote:
“Understand this: you no longer represent your homeworlds solely. "Coruscant, Alderaan, Chandrila ... All these and tens of thousands of worlds far removed from the Core are cells of the Empire, and what affects one, affects us all. No disturbances will be tolerated. "Interplanetary squabbles or threats of secession will meet with harsh reprisals. I have not led us through three years of galactic warfare to allow a resurgence of the old ways. The Republic is extinct.”

The whole emotional thing with the Dark Side. Fear Power and Hate.

Palpatine felt that the Sith must learn to control them to gain power over them to rise about them so that they could put the concept or morality aside so that they could gather enough power and use it in search of a higher goal which was to rule the galaxy and take away individual choice of lesser beings.

Basically Palpatine and any Sith graved power to rule.

First you must gain control over yourself, then another, a group a civilization and then the entire galaxy.

It also goes to what he said about

Good and evil with the Sith being Evil coming from a simplistic viewpoint of the Jedi. Palpatine believed that he could rule and give everyone a better life without conflict. He believed that the Republic and the Jedi were at the height of hypocrisy because they believed in helping the individual, where as the Sith believed that the natural order of things was the Strong who were willing to make sacrifices and hard choices should rule over the weak.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #89
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

“Tenebrous had told him from the start that the Republic, with help from the Sith, would continue to descend into corruption and disorder, and that a time would come when it would have to rely on the strengths of an enlightened leader, capable of saving the lesser masses from being ruled by their unruly passions, jealousies, and desires. In the face of a common enemy, real or manufactured, they would set aside all their differences and embrace the leadership of anyone who promised a brighter future. Could this Palpatine, with Plagueis’s help, be the one to bring about such a”

Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #90
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Star Wars ship that everyone missed:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #91
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Principle Photography is a wrap on Episode IX...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096496364576493568
Filming Wrapped on Episode IX

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 02-15-2019 at 03:37 PM.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #92
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This COULD be a potential Episode 9 spoiler regarding characters fates, but it is just a rumour so take it with a grain of salt. It's a rumour that there are more Star Wars series coming for Disney+, on top of the already announced R1/Mandalorian, that involve episode 9 characters.

Spoiler!

The article also mentions Lando and Qi'Ra as being potential targets for a series, which makes sense given the ending to Solo..

Also this:

Quote:
It's only been a few days since director J.J. Abrams let everyone know filming had wrapped on Star Wars: Episode IX. However, several official Star Wars Twitters are teasing something new on the horizon.

The Star Wars UK Twitter tweeted, "The calm before the galactic storm..." and a GIF combining a scene from Revenge of the Sith with one from A New Hope. The scene features Han Solo and Anakin Skywalker saying, "this is where the fun begins." It's about as vague a tease as one can get, but it does seem to imply something is coming, especially since the Dutch and French Twitter accounts tweeted the same message within a few hours.
https://www.cbr.com/official-star-wa...ething-coming/

Click the link to see the video, not sure how to embed those ones.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #93
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Further fuel on the fire for the upcoming Disney+ series... now Obi-Wan joins the rumour mill:

Quote:
An online rumor has surfaced that a six-episode miniseries focused on the legendary Jedi Master set sometime in between the events of Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope is being planned to follow The Mandalorian and the upcoming Rogue One spinoff featuring the return of Diego Luna as Cassian Andor.
https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-obi-wa...umored-disney/

I do like the idea of making it a mini series.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #94
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I like it because Ewan has always said that he would like to play Obi-Wan again, a short series like this would be perfect for him.

He was one of the brightspots of the PT.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #95
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Mini series makes sense to, they can tell a bigger story than a single movie, but don't have to go about making a whole trilogy for it.

I actually really like the idea of a series of 6 episode mini series.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #96
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As much as I want to see an Obiwan storyline, that happens between ROTS and ANH. We know that Maul showed up and Obi-Wan killed him. But other then that, not much could possibly happen and there's no way he's leaving the planet with Luke there.

So do we get one episode where he learns to play the space banjo?

Another episode where he goes to a Mos Eisley strip club and loses his light saber?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So thinking about it and what they could do, its really a shame that they stopped the legends EU. I would love to see a historical series on the Old Republic and not just Sith versus Jedi.

some of the really interesting stories

The Old Republic had their own version of the inquisition which involved a dynasty of supreme Chancellors that all assumed the same name Constispex. They followed a religion called the Pius Dea and for a 1000 years tried to clense the republic of Alien Heresy

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Pius_Dea_Era

The last major Sith vs Jedi War which featured a battle between the Army of Darkness vs the Army of Light. But the Brotherhood of Darkness was purged by Darth Bane who betrayed and mass murdered the Sith and then enacted the rule of two.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Army_of_Light

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bro...od_of_Darkness

The rise of the Mandalorians is a very cool story.

There was so much really good material in the Legends EU to go with the bad "Glittering gold scaled trans dimensional slab of meat alien", The Hutts build a death star hilarity ensues.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #98
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Topher Grace Edited a Trailer for All 10 'Star Wars' Movies and It's Amazing

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/toph...wSFbOJq5d7ViUA

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #99
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Check out this animatronic from Galaxy's Edge:

Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #100
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

HONDO!!!

One of the best characters in TCW's and now a robot.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: