Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #921
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Come on, it could be fun to watch the pious New Republic gunning down protestors and corrupt officers selling people and planets to crime lords or slavers.

They're not called Rebel Scum for no reason.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #922
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You're all rebels, aren't you?

I rebel!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:13 PM   #923
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I was watching a video that said one of the reason Ahsoka was so successful as a character was they intentionally made her annoying at first. It was intentional how she always thought she was right (and ended up BEING right) and never paid any price for her ignoring those above her.

Then they had episodes where she was responsible for bad things happening and she grew from it.

Basically they planned a character arc for her from the beginning.

People like well written characters who grow, who could have predicted that!
Old 12-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #924
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I was watching a video that said one of the reason Ahsoka was so successful as a character was they intentionally made her annoying at first. It was intentional how she always thought she was right (and ended up BEING right) and never paid any price for her ignoring those above her.

Then they had episodes where she was responsible for bad things happening and she grew from it.

Not Kathleen Kennedy thats for damned sure!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #925
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The only series that doesn't interest me at all is the new republic rangers one, because whatever they accomplish will mean nothing in the end. Don't understand the point of that one if they insist on the new trilogy being canon.
lol

I refuse to enjoy this show because something else exists that I don’t like.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #926
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, all anyone knows about Rangers of the New Republic is the title and that it will take place in the same time frame as The Mandalorian and Ahsoka. Also, it will be produced by Favreau and Filoni.

Everything else is just speculation.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #927
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

I think what made the Ahsoka character really great is that she started really young and immature, and then grew up through the show both physically and mentally.

Yeah, she was arrogant and cringeworthy at times at the start, but that was as intentional in writing as it was in plot. She was put with Anakin because in a lot of ways she mirrored him both in terms of her over reliance on the force and her recklessness.

One of the best examples of a great character building episode for her was the one where she thought she knew better, and disobeyed orders and got most of her squadron killed off, and also lead to the injury of Admiral Yularen. We saw a ton of growth in a 20 minute episode where in the end she had to take command though her confidence was shattered and she created a good plan that balanced saving lives with victory.

The other arc was the Onderon Arc where she was left there by Anakin and Obi-Wan and had to lead on her own. In the end though that arc was really the start of her visual dissatisfaction with the order.

I loved her character especially as she grew up and gained wisdom, and became a counter or balance to Anakin. In Rebels she knew almost right away that Vader was Anakin and she was forced to confront the fact that her abandonment of her master contributed to his fall. It was somewhat tragic that when she returned briefly to Anakin's side in season 7 that he was almost overly eager to see her, because by that point, I think a part of him knew he was not the Jedi that he should have been, and it would be interesting to get into his head when he picked up her light sabre from the snow. Was he mourning her, was he filled with a sent of resentment and blame both to himself and to her? Was he locking her in the safe that was Anakin?

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #928
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah I see they’re going with the “let’s make a bunch of stuff really close together and have a constant flow of Star Wars!” Strategy again. That worked so well when they tried it with the movies...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #929
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ah I see they’re going with the “let’s make a bunch of stuff really close together and have a constant flow of Star Wars!” Strategy again. That worked so well when they tried it with the movies...
Trust in Favreau and Filoni. The leaders of this new content are totally different than the movie debacle.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #930
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree tho. One of the great things about (live action) Star Wars was the generational wait for the next series. And when it did come it was exciting after so many years you almost forgot they could make new Star Wars.

Then Marvel happened (which I love, no hate to them) and every started to try the same thing but worse. Even Marvel almost fell victim to this IMO. The wait caused by the pandemic I think made me more interested in re-engaging with Marvel. You need a break to sit in the story for a while.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #931
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Mandalorian only lasts 2 months. It would be nice to have something new Star Wars to watch 8-9 months of the year.

When you see all the announcements at once it is overwhelming but if they space them out there's room for it all.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #932
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, most of the things announced are nothing more than a title and maybe a writer or director attached.

As it stands, we'll likely see The Bad Batch and Mando:Season 3 in 2021. Andor, Obi-Wan, Mando:Season 4 and maybe one of Rangers or Ahsoka in 2022. Everything else is likely 2023 or later.

The Rogue Squadron movie is Christmas 2023 and the movie that Taika Waititi is working on is likely set for 2025.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #933
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I could be dead before most of this stuff comes out.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #934
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #935
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #936
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A collection of rare and never-before-seen outtakes, behind-the-scenes footage and bloopers from the making of “Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back," has been delivered to "Good Morning America" by Lucasfilm elves to help celebrate the film’s 40th anniversary.
A majority of the clips are being seen publicly for the first time, and include many lighthearted moments shot during production featuring lead actors Mark Hamill (Skywalker), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) and Harrison Ford (Han Solo).
video here:
https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/c...-back-74723660
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #937
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Very cool. I don't remember seeing any of this stuff on any of the previous DVD, bluray, or digital releases. I'm betting they still have hours of behind the scenes footage from the OT that we haven't seen yet. It would be great to see it all come out eventually.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #938
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was rumbling through my storage locker the other day, as I was doing the typical thing or looking for possible regifts (I kid I kid).

Anyways I popped open one of my boxes of books, and saw a stack of the Republic Commando Books, and realized that I had never read past the first book, Hard Contact. Now there's a reason why I soured on these books, and mainly its because the writer Karen Traviss (sp?) when she wrote her part of the Legacy Series (Which is actually really a good series), she was a bit too in love and fantasy with Bobba Fett. However, with the re-appearance of Bobba on the Mandalorian, and with time on my hands due to very little in the way of Christmas Plans, I decided to dive into the series.

Basically the book series spreads from the start of the Clone Wars right to after Order 66, with the last book being Imperial Commando 501st.

I dove into the first book which was Hard Contact. The series follows Omega Squad, a group of Clone Commando's on a mission to destroy a biological weapon lab, creating a weapon that would target the Clones.

Now what's cool, is that these are different then the run of the mill troopers. Clone Commando's are more independent and creative then the normal Clone Troopers, clad in highly resistant Katarn Armor, they were strategic, and cunning and brutal. Lead by a Jedi Padawan the book goes through their battle against hundreds of Battle Droids, and questions the purpose of the Clones.

There's a sadness to this first book as the Clone Commando's realize that they're bred to die, they have no other life outside of war. What was even more stunning as Traviss gives some interesting humanity to these identical soliders is that when Etienne the Jedi Padawan first meets a clone she's confused because in the force he's a young child, in a adults body.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the book this time around, and it really adds to the Clone Lore, and I think it was released before the Clone Wars series it really humanizes them in the same way that they humanized the Clone Troopers in the animated series.

I'm part way through the second book Triple 0. Which follows Omega Squad as they're recalled to Coruscant to track down separatist terrorists, and are joined by Delta Squad from the video game. In the course of this book they introduce Kal Skirata who was a training mercenary, and more importantly the Null Commandos. Originally slated for termination because they were extremely independent, wouldn't blindly follow orders, and with some were slightly psychotic. These Nulls were only loyal to one person which is Skirata. Unlike Commando's and Troopers they work independently as assassins and intelligence gathering assets.

What's interesting is in the second book which takes place a year after Geonosis, we see that Clones are developing independent personalities, to go with their names. And there is a certain despondency about their lives and being bred for nothing more then fighting and dying.

They had an interesting scene early in Triple 0, where Skirata and Ordo (A Null Commando) are riding on a train, and Ordo takes off his helmet and the reaction from the citizens of the train is very sad. They are shocked that Clones are human, and young. It shows the disconnect between citizens and soldiers that go off to die.

Anyways, thought I'd throw this up here because I'm enjoying these books more then I thought I would, and seeing the transition from Republic Commandos working with and almost worshiping Jedi to Order 66 to becoming members of the Imperial Military could be very cool.

I'd give Hard Contact btw a solid 7 out of 10.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #939
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed that series. Something soured me on those books though and I can't remember exactly what it was. I think it was some rumour or story I read about Traviss being fired or quitting the Star Wars universe due to a difference in opinion or something like that.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #940
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Finished the second book Triple Zero.

It was a pretty solid piece of Clone Lore. Though Traviss is still a little too obsessed with the Mando culture in it, something that was later taken away in the Clone Wars and Rebel series in terms of the Jango Clones.

Over all the book was pretty solid, following Omega Squad and Delta Squad (From the game) as they go underground on Coruscant to track down a separatist terrorist cell that is blowing up GAR bases and logistics sites.

Over all the characters are pretty well done from the Clone Commanders to the Null Commando's, to the Jedi including Etienne. They also have the Mando mercenaries Skirata and Vau who trained the Clone Commandos.

This is part detective book, spy thriller without a whole lot of actual combat action in it. So its a shift from the other books.

What I liked.

Traviss does a good job of filling out the clone characters and the unfairness of their lives. These are basically children who grow twice as fast as normal people that are essentially slaves with no rights, no pay, no leaves and no prospects of a normal live, and they know they are disposable.

The two Mando mercenaries who see the unfairness of the treatment of clones, and the fact that they have abbreviated lives due to the cloning process and want to find a solution to it.

Etienne who falls in love with one of the Commando's and gets knocked up. She also hates the republic for its treatment of the Clones and how they're expected to die in the service of a Republic that doesn't care about them.

This book is written way before the introduction of the inhibitor chips. But you can see the seeds being planted in terms of why the Clones would be willing participants in Order 66 as even most of the Jedi saw them as no better then the droids on the other side.

Traviss is a good writer, though she's got a Mando crush, if there's a complaint is that sometimes its difficult to track her use of dialogue and know who is saying what.

Overall a solid addition from the days before Rex and Cody and fives and the other clones that we learned about in the Clone Wars series