Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #761
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

At what age do you show your kids Ep IV and V so they get the full value of The Reveal before society ruins it for them?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:06 AM   #762
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Disney is building a hotel in Orlando that will act as a 2-night immersive Star Wars themed cruise thru space. Instead of windows, you get view screens that project stars. It's going to be ridiculously expensive ($3,300 USD for one 1-person) and therefore I will never do it, but I'm very curious about the experience. I think being locked up in there would get to me. You do get a day excursion to Star Wars land, but still. A least on a boat there are windows and balconies.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en...c-starcruiser/
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #763
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Disney is building a hotel in Orlando that will act as a 2-night immersive Star Wars themed cruise thru space. Instead of windows, you get view screens that project stars. It's going to be ridiculously expensive ($3,300 USD for one 1-person) and therefore I will never do it, but I'm very curious about the experience. I think being locked up in there would get to me. You do get a day excursion to Star Wars land, but still. A least on a boat there are windows and balconies.

Yeah, as cool as it is, its too much for me. There is a storyline that you can play in on the ship as well, its supposed to be really immersive. And it just looks outright amazing.

I once had an idea of creating a combination immersive experience laser tag thing. Where you stay in a hotel built around the idea of a star ship. And you can be assigned to the bridge or other jobs, and there's a laser tag area where you can repel boarders.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #764
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post

I'm a Star Wars fan and all, but that sounds like a nightmare.

An expensive one at that. I wouldnt want that for a vacation. That would be neat for a couple of hours at heavy discount but thats about it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #765
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
At what age do you show your kids Ep IV and V so they get the full value of The Reveal before society ruins it for them?

how old are your kids? are you worried it might be too scary for them but you don't want the reveal ruined?
i was 4 & 7 when ep 4 & 5 first came out and LOVED them. now with that being said, my kids are 5 and 7 and they've only seen bits of ep 4 & 5. i think they'd be fine with ep 4, but ep 5 would be too much for them - han getting poked/zapped in cloud city and luke losing his hand would be too much for my kids - but they are suuuuper sensitive.

so far, they have no clue of the reveal.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #766
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think my son was around 5 when he watched them and was fine. Though while he got that Darth Vader was Luke's father, he didn't make the connection with Anakin at the time. I didn't let him watch Ep III until he could tell me what happens to Anakin, he was probably about 7.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #767
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
how old are your kids? are you worried it might be too scary for them but you don't want the reveal ruined?
i was 4 & 7 when ep 4 & 5 first came out and LOVED them. now with that being said, my kids are 5 and 7 and they've only seen bits of ep 4 & 5. i think they'd be fine with ep 4, but ep 5 would be too much for them - han getting poked/zapped in cloud city and luke losing his hand would be too much for my kids - but they are suuuuper sensitive.

so far, they have no clue of the reveal.

They are only 2 and 3 (with a 3rd due in a few weeks, I know I know).

Basically I want to maximize the magic of the moment so I want them to be old enough to understand it, but young enough it doesn’t get ruined by social media and school and such.

7 sounds like a good age for the reveal. Although I didn’t really consider the scary parts hmmm.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #768
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of kids, has anyone seen the Lego Star Wars Holiday "Life Day" Special?

I know it's not canon, but it's kind of interesting in a few ways:

Spoiler!
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #769
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got about an hour into ROTS on Disney+ and had to turn it off. Shockingly bad. The acting, the script, the CGI ... much worse than I remembered.

Just had to get that off my chest
Old 11-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #770
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I got about an hour into ROTS on Disney+ and had to turn it off. Shockingly bad. The acting, the script, the CGI ... much worse than I remembered.

Just had to get that off my chest
Yeah, we can whine about the new Trilogy as much as we like, and I believe a hefty amount of criticism for it is more than fair, but the prequels....wow.

Its funny..."these are worse than the prequels!"

No sir. Check yourself.

I dont think I could re-watch The Phantom Menace with a gun to my head. I think if certain segments of that movie and just cringe.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #771
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
8 year old loved TFA, 4 year old had to turn it off at the Kylo killing his father scene. Freaked him out.

8 year old did not enjoy ANH. He found it way too slow, especially the first hour.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #772
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
8 year old loved TFA, 4 year old had to turn it off at the Kylo killing his father scene. Freaked him out.

8 year old did not enjoy ANH. He found it way too slow, especially the first hour.
Kids these days!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #773
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

To be fair, I didn’t get really into SW until I was about 10-12.

When I was 5-8 I was probably more into the ewoks movie.

Most people I’ve talked to who liked Star Wars as young children were kids when it came out and were impressed by the special effects. With Netflix and iPads and PS4s my nephews think the OG trilogy is practically a relic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #774
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, we can whine about the new Trilogy as much as we like, and I believe a hefty amount of criticism for it is more than fair, but the prequels....wow.

Its funny..."these are worse than the prequels!"

No sir. Check yourself.

I dont think I could re-watch The Phantom Menace with a gun to my head. I think if certain segments of that movie and just cringe.
As bad as the prequels were, at least they didn't invalidate anything in the original trilogy and can be safely ignored. The new trilogy completely nullified the events of the OT, ruined the most important character in the series, and screwed up the potential of any future movies with how bad it was. That's why it's worse than the prequels, the damage to the SW universe is much greater and long lasting
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #775
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
As bad as the prequels were, at least they didn't invalidate anything in the original trilogy and can be safely ignored. The new trilogy completely nullified the events of the OT, ruined the most important character in the series, and screwed up the potential of any future movies with how bad it was. That's why it's worse than the prequels, the damage to the SW universe is much greater and long lasting
Or they can just be ignored like the prequels?

Prequels introduced midichlorians, which literally ruined everything we’d ever known about Jedi and the Force. That cannot, and will not, ever be topped.

No way the prequels weren’t worse movies individually and as a whole considering the damage they did to SW canon.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-22-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #776
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh christ, not this argument again.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #777
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Oh christ, not this argument again.
If you have a better way to spend your lazy Sunday afternoons I'd love to hear it!

Old 11-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #778
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are we better or worse off that George didn’t get a chance to make his Whills trilogy? Are you ok with the poop sandwich you got, or do you pine for the barf soup that you didn’t?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #779
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jar Jar Binks.

/discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #780
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Jar Jar Binks.

/discussion

Jar Jar Binks doomed the Republic and aided the rise of Palpatine

/discussion.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: