Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #221
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Has a large amount of time passed between this movie and TLJ? The New Order now has what looks like dozens of star destroyers again.
Some info on those Star Destroyers (from people taking a close look at them from the teaser):
Spoiler!

Last edited by Bigtime; 08-26-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #222
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Some info on those Star Destroyers (from people taking a close look at them from the teaser):
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #223
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed the first 47 seconds of that trailer.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #224
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Star Wars

Quote:
Spoiler!

I sure hope they’re coming out of Palpatine’s Star Forge in that formation, one Corellian Corvette loaded with explosives could wreck that fleet in seconds. /supernerd
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #225
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #227
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...source=twitter

Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #228
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Has a large amount of time passed between this movie and TLJ? The New Order now has what looks like dozens of star destroyers again.
Yeah there will be a gap of time leading into this, unlike TFA and TLJ. I heard something like 5 years somewhere but maybe I'm misremembering or what I read was crap. That chart with the timeline would give some indication. Looks like both sides beefed up on their respective fleets either way. I hope they explain and give some context rather than just creating armies out of thin air for the sake of it.

I suspect Sidious and Ren cross paths (whether physically or by hologram/force ghost) following TLJ and it will be revealed that Palp has been growing his own forces and played some hand behind the scenes in everything that has happened otherwise it'll come across as more of a forced last minute throw in for nostalgia. I believe he created Rey, maybe a few versions of her and this hero Rey was a defective clone or something.

Who knows, could go so many ways but that would explain her seeing a projection of herself in a line in the cave when she was looking to find her family. That's the hope, cause then something in TLJ will actually make sense in the larger scope of the story

I'm also pretty certain that that is new dialogue from Palpatine which is sweet. I'd really like him to appear in physical form since macdermid is a treat to watch.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I keep going back to that Cave when Rey looked for her family and say multiple Reys. We could argue that they could be reflections. But Sidious was looking for Plagieus secrets to immortality.

We know in Legends EU that you can clone a force user. Luke was cloned in the Thrawn series. Starkiller was cloned in the Force Unleashed 2 dark ending. What if the Rey we are seeing isn't our Rey, but a brutal dark side apprentice clone and they were both made with Anakin DNA. Errr wait a minute.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #230
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like a good movie but I’m still underwhelmed from TLJ. I’m not going to get too excited yet.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #231
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah me too.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #232
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It looks like a good movie but I’m still underwhelmed from TLJ. I’m not going to get too excited yet.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to make an exciting Star Wars trailer. All it takes is a few X-wing flyovers.

I want to be skeptical about this, as TLJ was garbage, but I'll probably also crack and buy tickets to opening night.

This movie looks pretty dark so far. It's going to be very odd watching all 3 movies in a row. The tonal shifts are intense. Basically Ryann Johnson's bad jokes straddled between JJ Abrahms bleakness.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #233
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I keep going back to that Cave when Rey looked for her family and say multiple Reys. We could argue that they could be reflections. But Sidious was looking for Plagieus secrets to immortality.

We know in Legends EU that you can clone a force user. Luke was cloned in the Thrawn series. Starkiller was cloned in the Force Unleashed 2 dark ending. What if the Rey we are seeing isn't our Rey, but a brutal dark side apprentice clone and they were both made with Anakin DNA. Errr wait a minute.
It's also make sense why Ray grew up on a crap hole. Both Luke and Anakin had similar upgringings, which made them both extremely powerful and capable of real evil. Palpatine would want to repeat that process.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #234
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
It's also make sense why Ray grew up on a crap hole. Both Luke and Anakin had similar upgringings, which made them both extremely powerful and capable of real evil. Palpatine would want to repeat that process.

Spoiler!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #235
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty easy to make an exciting Star Wars trailer. All it takes is a few X-wing flyovers.

I want to be skeptical about this, as TLJ was garbage, but I'll probably also crack and buy tickets to opening night.

This movie looks pretty dark so far. It's going to be very odd watching all 3 movies in a row. The tonal shifts are intense. Basically Ryann Johnson's bad jokes straddled between JJ Abrahms bleakness.
Still cringe a little at opening that movie with your mom jokes.

Now it's impossible to take Hux's character seriously. So hopefully he's phased out in this one for palpatine and TKOR rather than continuing to be a walking, painfully unfunny joke. He could've been like Tarkin but instead became Jar-Jarkin.

I do hope they finish strong still so that TLJ can just be "that one off". The clone wars of the sequel trilogy, if you will. Hopefully we get some creative plot turns that aren't a rehash, an epic lightsaber duel(s) that runs for longer than 5 minutes and badass new characters like the knights of ren getting to shine, but most of all having the nine movies culminate in a final conflict/conclusion that feels worth the existence of this third trilogy and the long journey from phantom menace.

I feel like the darker this gets the better because tonally it has been more Disney than star wars. Rogue One being seen as the most nostalgic film as well as being the darkest film is no coincidence. The SW universe is supposed to be dangerous and unforgiving. I also hope they don't go for grandiose spectacle over content and strong dialogue. The duels and intimate, tension-filled scenes shared between characters have been where SW has been at it's best.

I don't think they'll check all those boxes of course, as I've said more or less these same things preceding the last two films, but just put out a solid film with memorable moments that stand out and we can get the bad taste of the last entry out of our mouths.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-26-2019 at 06:22 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #236
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah there will be a gap of time leading into this, unlike TFA and TLJ. I heard something like 5 years somewhere but maybe I'm misremembering or what I read was crap. That chart with the timeline would give some indication. Looks like both sides beefed up on their respective fleets either way. I hope they explain and give some context rather than just creating armies out of thin air for the sake of it.

I suspect Sidious and Ren cross paths (whether physically or by hologram/force ghost) following TLJ and it will be revealed that Palp has been growing his own forces and played some hand behind the scenes in everything that has happened otherwise it'll come across as more of a forced last minute throw in for nostalgia. I believe he created Rey, maybe a few versions of her and this hero Rey was a defective clone or something.

Who knows, could go so many ways but that would explain her seeing a projection of herself in a line in the cave when she was looking to find her family. That's the hope, cause then something in TLJ will actually make sense in the larger scope of the story

I'm also pretty certain that that is new dialogue from Palpatine which is sweet. I'd really like him to appear in physical form since macdermid is a treat to watch.

McDiarmid was at Star Wars Celebration when they announced the first teaser, I’m pretty sure anything in this movie involving the Emperor will be him. I’d post the YouTube clip but I’m on my phone and not that tech savvy.

Last edited by Luder; 08-26-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #237
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What if the Rey we are seeing isn't our Rey, but a brutal dark side apprentice clone and they were both made with Anakin DNA. Errr wait a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I believe he created Rey, maybe a few versions of her and this hero Rey was a defective clone or something.
If that's the case then red double-bladed light-sabre Rey isn't Rey but an evil clone. It's going to be just like the end of Scott Pilgrim vs the World when he takes on Nega Scott!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #238
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe it's just me but when half the trailer is nostalgia footage that's not a good omen.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #239
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, if the alternative is spoiling 95% of the movie like other trailers, I'd prefer this. Especially for a teaser trailer for a movie coming out 4 months from now.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #240
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Maybe it's just me but when half the trailer is nostalgia footage that's not a good omen.
You can’t possibly believe they think the movie is so bad that it necessitates a trailer with old footage. It almost seems willfully ignorant to believe something so ridiculous. I’ve seen Michael Bay movies with good trailers and his movies are pure unadulterated garbage.

Or it could be the obvious and it’s the culmination of a film franchise that’s been around for almost half a century finally capping off an epic 9 part story.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: