Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #1421
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What I would want to see because it makes sense

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-09-2021 at 09:01 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #1422
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought this was a really good review of the writing of the season, where the Writers kept looking for easy solutions to complex problems, and really struggle with character development.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/22220673/...e-recap-review

Old 01-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #1423
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was really good till halfway into the season and then they couldn't carry out the story in a satisfying way. The burn was such a good concept and they butchered it.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #1424
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I absolutely hated the turbolift scenes. What the hell is with the massive open spaces? Nothing like that makes sense.

Also the sphere data in the cute little robots wasvbasically useless. They didn't even have a strategy, they just bum rushed the enemy, where was an application of all the knowledge the sphere had? I thought that was supposed to be it's great value.
Duruss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #1425
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
I absolutely hated the turbolift scenes. What the hell is with the massive open spaces? Nothing like that makes sense.

Also the sphere data in the cute little robots wasvbasically useless. They didn't even have a strategy, they just bum rushed the enemy, where was an application of all the knowledge the sphere had? I thought that was supposed to be it's great value.
"We posses all the knowledge in the known universe. How may we serve you?"

"Hrmm, well I've got no immediate needs, but a hot cup of coffee would be great".

With all the smart writing going on in the tv world these days, you have to do much better than this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #1426
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The first thing I thought of when I saw that was the scene in Galaxy Quest with the death course. It was just completely absurd and jarring.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #1427
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Marketing dude - "Action figures, we need to have action figures and lunch boxes, and look what that baby yoda figure did in in that Star Wars series. Memes and internet videos and stuffed animals. We need that"

Writer - "Robots, we can use the sphere data in cute robots with big eyes kids will love them"

MD - "Love it, how can we make kids and fans cry and fall in love with them"

Writer - "Kill em off, don't have them do anything but sound child like"

Special effects guy with dynamite behind him - "On it"

Old 01-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #1428
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
"We posses all the knowledge in the known universe. How may we serve you?"

"Hrmm, well I've got no immediate needs, but a hot cup of coffee would be great".

With all the smart writing going on in the tv world these days, you have to do much better than this.
Marvin, is that you?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #1429
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh and the elevator thing, I swear someone watched the Manevolance arch on Clone Wars with the internal train system, where they had Obi-Wan and Anakin and Grievous chasing each other and said "If its good enough for Star Wars"

Old 01-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #1430
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh and the elevator thing, I swear someone watched the Manevolance arch on Clone Wars with the internal train system, where they had Obi-Wan and Anakin and Grievous chasing each other and said "If its good enough for Star Wars"

Yes, but in clone wars the made sure we knew that the Malevolence was absolutely massive. Which is why I think we are annoyed, an episode prior had Michael crawling through a Jeffries tube, and then the next we find out there is an internal open area bigger than a football stadium?
Duruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #1431
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
first thing I thought of was Anakin skydiving onto a car on Coruscant, that's how expansive Discovery's utility area looked.

I know it doesn't matter much to the casual viewers they seem to be targeting, but the technical stuff in sci-fi matters to me and I hate how loose they are with it in recent live action Trek. someone already mentioned Discovery's shield strength ranging from tissue paper to Doomsday Machine depending on how much dialogue they need to go through. there's dozens of other examples in this series alone, and Picard is no better with its state of the art Federation flagship, copy and pasted 200 times along with all requisite crew ready to go at the exact same moment.

I used to not mind it at first with ST2009 because it was shiny and modern, but it only took one more movie to jump all the way into universe-breaking stuff like firing torpedoes hundreds of light years, beaming people that same distance, and literally raising the dead. god, somebody out there must understand this stuff better and be the Filoni/Favreau for the Star Trek franchise.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #1432
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The one thing that has always been the point of debate is that Star Trek fans have looked at Star Wars and said "Its fantasy, wheras Trek has science byatch so its Science Fiction"

Its been a back bone of the Trek premise for a long time. But lets be honest, they broke that premise with voyager, and disguised the fantasy with techno babble that makes no sense when it comes to science. In other works Trek isn't science fiction, its fantasy with Trek pseudo science. And everything, the design of the ships, the technology they use, the way they Mcguffin their way out of plot corners with fake science makes it just as much fantasy as Star Wars. However Star Wars has never pretended ever to be about real tech. They don't go out of their way to describe how their tech works, its just there and works within the natural laws of that universe.

And yeah, I literally cringed in the elevator scene in Discovery around the lack of safety hand rails or failsafes when the elevator doors were opened. It appears that some former Imperial Engineers are ship designers in the Trek verse.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:04 PM   #1433
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea the respect for science and intelligent sci-fi died after DS9.

I feel like Discovery's gone the same way as the Star Wars franchise in terms of the identity politics and there isn't really any time spent on character development now or well fleshed out storylines/resolutions.

If Star Wars is any indication, things will come to a head sooner or later where declining viewership will force Paramount leadership to take action. Rumor is Disco S4 production is in limbo, Picard production is in trouble because of insurance issues with Patrick Stewart. If true only Strange New Worlds is currently actively being developed.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:21 AM   #1434
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Picard production is in trouble because of insurance issues with Patrick Stewart.

Do you have a link to this? I just did a quick google search and I'm not seeing this news anywhere. The latest update I've found is that they're set to begin filming on Feb. 1st, at least according to Jeri Ryan.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/12/26/jer...on-start-date/

Quote:
On Thursday, actress Jeri Ryan responded to a fan on Twitter, revealing a new start date of February 1st.

Unlike Star Trek: Discovery, which began production on season four in Canada in November, Star Trek: Picard is filmed in Southern California, which is dealing with a new surge in COVID cases. Even though film and television production is exempt from lockdowns, it’s no surprise that extra time is being taken to plan out proper safety protocols. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is also expected to go into production in February in Ontario, Canada, but that has yet to be officially confirmed.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:08 AM   #1435
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Do you have a link to this? I just did a quick google search and I'm not seeing this news anywhere. The latest update I've found is that they're set to begin filming on Feb. 1st, at least according to Jeri Ryan.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/12/26/jer...on-start-date/
Yea they are rumored problems apparently.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #1436
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yea they are rumored problems apparently.
So I didn't actually watch the video posted, going off the video title..
But as much as I watch all things star trek, the vindictive part of me wants the show cancelled. It's terrible writing doesn't deserve to be renewed.

I never thought I would be cheering for a Star Trek show I activity watch to be cancelled. Despite that, I can't explain why I know I would watch next seasons if renewed.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #1437
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CBS All Access has already renewed Star Trek: Discovery for a fourth and fifth season, which will be shot back-to-back.
https://www.polygon.com/tv/22220673/...e-recap-review
Old 01-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #1438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't want the show cancelled, I see the potential of a show set between Enterprise and TOS, though I don't seem to have much interest in one 1000 years in the future.

I want the writers fired and replaced. Find people that are good. I want Michael to reassigned back to earth flying a shuttle filled with synthetic dog poop into the Hong Kong logistics base.

I want Tilly to be cashiered from Star Fleet, and she ends up being a really bad waitress having zaney adventures with her room mate.

The mirror universe in season 1 ended up being really bad with an unsatsfying ending. The Sphere Data, terminator story line from last year had so many logic leaps that it flung itself off of a cliff. And this season that started off pretty well, and I was actually praising it, ending up being just stupid with again leaps of oh crap we painted ourself in a corner again logic and stretches.

The have next to no real character development on this show outside of the key three, even Stamet was turned into a reclining chair in the finale. They continue to push Michael even though if you take a peek at the fanbase for Trek, she's rapidly becoming the most hated character in the Star Trek universe.

They can't write an interesting villain to save their lives. Lorca ended up being a massive dissapointment and died like a typical mustache twirling moron. There wasn't really a set villain last year. And the actress that played the villain this year was terrible, she kept skipping from an English accent to an American accent, and her major threat was her rapier levels of snark. Then she died like a punk . . . again.

It sounds like next year is probably going to be more episodic as Discovery becomes a space freighter. I think its intentionally going to be designed to be well beyond Star Fleet so Michael can have the whole Kirk 5 year mission thing where she's making the decisions and breaking the Prime Directive on the fly. I expect that Doug Jones and Saru are done. There's nothing left for his story line, and they completely wrecked his credibility as a Captain anyways. Its too bad, Doug Jones is a spectacularly good actor and his final episode if it is that was the only strength of the finale. He deserved better.

Right now, they could replace 90% of the crew and nobody would care because frankly even when they do something, you don't care because these writers will drop that story line in a cold hard second (Detmer) if it becomes a threat to Michael's screen time.

I don't know if I'll invest much time next year, they've done the build up and completely punt the football for three years in a row.

Bring back Lower Decks, improve the writing on Picard, and do Strange New Worlds better. Its hard to believe though, to me Discovery is just worse then Enterprise and Voyager and those two shows were bad.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #1439
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't want the show cancelled, I see the potential of a show set between Enterprise and TOS
Ha I read this and then interpreted the rest of your post as you writing an entirely new show with entirely new cast and staff!

Don't we have a show ready and loaded between Enterprise and TOS with Pike?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #1440
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just have a mysterious something wipe out the entire crew in S4E1, and the rest of the episode just be glory shots of Discovery floating empty through space ala Star Trek, The Motion Picture. Just, like, 55 minutes of that. Then end the episode with a ship finding the Discovery, and boarding it. Voila, a "Great Reset", if you will. Then they can start over with a new crew set in the future.