Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #1641
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Current immigration policy is exceptionally to the right as well.

Some might even point to the current (and growing) level of US isolationism as being a right-shift indicator as well, in relation to the rest of the world, though NeoCons are definitely not happy about the shift away from the global market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #1642
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

You think a Trump presidency is to the right.. you nearly had a Cruz presidency.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #1643
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Really? Even Republicans are all for blowing out the budget now. Virtually none of them are willing to tackle entitlement reform, and the national debt continues to balloon under them with no end in sight. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by shifting to the right (I am sure there are some examples) but if we are talking entitlements and fiscal conservatism, I think things are moving decidedly left.

That's nothing new. Here's the increase in US debt under every Republican administration since Eisenhower:

Nixon/Ford (8 years): 78%
Reagan (8 years): 186%
H.W. Bush (4 years): 97%
W. Bush (8 years): 77%

Compared to Democratic administrations:

Kennedy/Johnson (8 years): 22%
Carter (4 years): 46%
Clinton (8 years): 40%
Obama (8 years): 114% (most of this was due to 2008; it only increased by 22% in his 2nd term)
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #1644
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

At this point nothing will stop the debt from growing unless a law is passed forcing them to reduce the deficit by 20% each year, something that is entirely doable. Once the deficit is leveled out, either you either cut spending so that your debt to GDP grows smaller, or grow the GDP to achieve the same thing. Also very doable.

The US has extremely bloated spending programs. A law that mandates small spending cuts each year could easily work.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #1645
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Is Jon Stewart some kind of politician now or what’s the deal there? Anyone know?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #1646
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is Jon Stewart some kind of politician now or what’s the deal there? Anyone know?
He's been an advocate of this cause for ages... back when he had his show he did a few segments on 9/11 first-responders where he was talking with them about their frustrations with a total lack of government action on this, and when nothing had changed year-after-year of interviewing them, he took an increasingly active role in trying to champion their cause.

I don't think he wants anything to do with politics for the most part, but still feels an obligation to do what he can to help this particular group.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #1647
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
He's been an advocate of this cause for ages... back when he had his show he did a few segments on 9/11 first-responders where he was talking with them about their frustrations with a total lack of government action on this, and when nothing had changed year-after-year of interviewing them, he took an increasingly active role in trying to champion their cause.

I don't think he wants anything to do with politics for the most part, but still feels an obligation to do what he can to help this particular group.
I think he lost or nearly lost a childhood friend that day as well.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 AM   #1648
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You think a Trump presidency is to the right.. you nearly had a Cruz presidency.
Right or left of the current presidency, it's hard to imagine any other defined by such a high degree of madness, instability and corruption as this one. God forbid that anyone would pine after a Cruz presidency but I don't believe it would have been matched the craziness of this one in certain respects. At least he introduced the bill proposing to keep immigrant families from being separated in detention.

In regards to the myriad of trade wars and foreign policy gaffs that Trump has committed it's hard to imagine anyone else even beginning down the paths that he's forged.

One similarity I think we would have certainly seen is the high number of ultra conservative judicial appointments at all levels around the country. This of course is as much thanks to Mitch McConnell as Trump.

Last edited by Charsiu; 06-12-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #1649
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump melting down this morning from new polls saying he'd lose to every single democratic nominee in 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8955346.html
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #1650
CaptainYooh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Trump melting down this morning from new polls saying he'd lose to every single democratic nominee in 2020. ...
NSFW!

“To generalize is to be an idiot.” William Blake, Writer
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #1651
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi Mel

can you translate this for me?

https://twitter.com/statuses/1138881397379276800
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #1652
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

He's coming right out and admitting it. And nothing will be done.

https://twitter.com/statuses/1138936855573999616
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #1653
New Era
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Really? Even Republicans are all for blowing out the budget now. Virtually none of them are willing to tackle entitlement reform, and the national debt continues to balloon under them with no end in sight.
Republicans have always been about blowing up the budget. Their cries of fiscal conservatism are all a bunch of baloney meant to appeal to the stupid and those refusing to pay attention to the reality hitting them in the face. Look at the biggest spending presidents since the depression ended, and all of them have been Republicans. If you look at the expansion of government, it was all Republican administrations who spun up these large departments, and then maxed out the credit card on the expansion of the military across the globe. It's a great tag line to trot out, but in reality its a punchline that Republicans can use at their fund raising dinners that is guaranteed to draw laughs.

Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by shifting to the right (I am sure there are some examples) but if we are talking entitlements and fiscal conservatism, I think things are moving decidedly left.
No, we're not. Entitlement funding is drying up. This is a distinct shift to the right. Considering the requirements for entitlements, there should be legislation being passed to strengthen the funding. Instead the funding streams are weakened and revenues that could be used to prop them up are turned back to the uber rich in the form of tax breaks. I don't know how anyone cannot see this very obvious strategy being executed in policy and action.

On entitlements, I still wonder why this is a bad word and how the hell conservatives managed to get people to believe it is a bad word. You are damn rights these are entitlements! I have been paying into (investing) these entitlement programs for decades. I have been doing so under the promise that when I reached a certain age that this money would come due and I would get a return on my investment. The idea that the government can arbitrarily make adjustments to reduce the payouts is just ####ing stupidity at the greatest of extremes. How would you people with RRSPs feel if the government stepped in and said, "Nope, you don't get the payout you were promised, we're going to change the nominal tax rate against those investments to 75% and you have to live with what you get." That fair?

Based on what I have paid into the system over the past 40+ years, they are getting a sweetheart of a deal for they have to pay out. I should be entitled to more, because it is my money that has been paid into the system and I am entitled to that money back, plus interest. But because I believe we should help raise our fellow man up I don't feel bad about taking a little bit of a haircut and receive only what they promised me. If they go back on that promise, like Trump is doing with a number of programs, there's going to be some pretty pissed people, and people wanting a pound of flesh. Eat the rich may indeed come to fruition if these "fiscal conservatives" try to strip away any more of the things people are entitled to.
New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #1654
New Era
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Hi Mel

It's simple.

New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New Era For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #1655
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope Hicks just agreed to testify in the House hearings into the Mueller report.

https://thehill-com.cdn.ampproject.o...e-panel-report
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #1656
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hi Mel

Sure fill in those three dots first or post the full video to get context. Twitter bade!
It's really hard to tell sometimes if you're an alt right true believer or just a bigoted troll. Props if you're just a troll because you're not bad at it. But if you actually really believe half the #### you say then.. yikes. You're a lot dumber than you sound.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #1657
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It's simple.

my god it's Ezra Levant!
It's really hard to tell sometimes if you're an alt right true believer or just a bigoted troll. Props if you're just a troll because you're not bad at it. But if you actually really believe half the #### you say then.. yikes. You're a lot dumber than you sound.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #1658
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Sure fill in those three dots first or post the full video to get context. Twitter bade!
So.....no?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #1659
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
So.....no?
Hey come on, think of the context! If you replace those three dots with:

"And that's, uh, I think it's different than, maybe, your interpretation, uh."

Then it becomes so clear.

It's what he SAID, not what he MEANT, and if you were listening to what he SAID, then your interpretation is maybe different than what he MEANT.

Crystal clear now, I'm sure.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #1660
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So.....no?
Watch the news conference which includes the left out part and he means "i know what i said and you are misinterpreting it"

twitter Lmfao!