Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #3041
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

C-5 Galaxy

Tags for size
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #3042
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's really great -- good to see it get a workout on this spat of charter work.

Sadly, that also means I don't get to see it on the ground during my departure back to YVR today. Saw it parked this past Saturday and it was glorious. I snagged a pic but it's garbage and looking into the sun; plus there are better ones already posted in this thread.
Another one flew in last night
Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #3043
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Annnnnd it's gone.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #3044
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #3045
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yikes.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #3046
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I shudder at the thought of an engine failure pretty much anywhere in both those videos.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #3047
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Or bird strike, or slight downdraft, or sneezing.. blinking too much...
Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #3048
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell yeah:
Spoiler!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #3049
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another unique visitor courtesy of the RAF charter flights, an Air Greenland A332 currently parked on apron II just south of the terminal. Not sure when it will leave.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #3050
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any insider info on BA's updated Calgary 787 service? Nothing online from what I see, other than that BA 767's flying in and out still.

Got my ticket for mid September to LHR a couple weeks back, and through the booking process, flights were to be on the 787.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #3051
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The latest update I have is September 16... primary culprit is delays in actually getting the aircraft from Boeing. Secondary culprit is that YYC doesn't do well for BA so they're in no rush. The delays have caused problems for AC as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #3052
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The latest update I have is September 16... primary culprit is delays in actually getting the aircraft from Boeing. Secondary culprit is that YYC doesn't do well for BA so they're in no rush. The delays have caused problems for AC as well.
Thanks...if that date holds true I'll be on the second outgoing flight. Hopefully they'll have some booking abnormalities at check in, getting used to the new aircraft, and I'll get somehow bumped to a pod in Business Class.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #3053
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Hell yeah:
Spoiler!
With the Shuttle program done what is NASA doing with the plane that carried the shuttle around?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #3054
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
With the Shuttle program done what is NASA doing with the plane that carried the shuttle around?
Quote:
Shuttle Carrier N911NA retired on February 8, 2012 after its final mission to the Dryden Aircraft Operations Facility in Palmdale, California, and will be used as a source of parts for NASA's Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA).[12]

Shuttle Carrier N905NA was used to ferry the retired Shuttles to their respective museums. It returned to the Dryden Flight Research Facility at Edwards Air Force Base in California after a short flight from Los Angeles International Airport on September 24, 2012. It was intended to join N911NA as a source of spare parts for NASA's SOFIA aircraft.[12][13] NASA engineers surveyed N905NA and determined that it had few parts usable for SOFIA, and 905 is now intended to be preserved and displayed in Houston. Three former NASA aircraft are on static display in the Houston area - two T-38s at the front entrance of Space Center Houston, and the former NASA KC-135 930 Vomit Comet. In 2013, the Space Center announced plans to display SCA 905 with the mockup shuttle Independence mounted on its back.[14] NASA 905 was erected on site at the space center, having been ferried in pieces from Ellington Field, and the replica shuttle was mounted in August 2014.[15] The display is scheduled to open in 2015.

Shuttle Carrier N911NA is being loaned out for display to the Joe Davies Heritage Airpark in Palmdale, Calif., beginning in September 2014.[16] The aircraft will remain a source of spare parts for the SOFIA program.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #3055
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long line of thunderstorms right across the middle of the US at the moment, so guys get to do that 1,400+ km detour to get around them. Seems most everyone else try to find a gap through, or went around the south side, but this Delta... scenic route.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #3056
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Long line of thunderstorms right across the middle of the US at the moment, so guys get to do that 1,400+ km detour to get around them. Seems most everyone else try to find a gap through, or went around the south side, but this Delta... scenic route.

That does seem quite excessive. Maybe they lost their weather radar enroute.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #3057
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Possible, but I'm more inclined to think somebody in dispatch or somebody at Denver Center made a bad call... because they took enough fuel at SFO to get around that massive storm from the beginning.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #3058
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Possible, but I'm more inclined to think somebody in dispatch or somebody at Denver Center made a bad call... because they took enough fuel at SFO to get around that massive storm from the beginning.
Must have been Denver then, cause Dispatchers never make bad calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 PM   #3059
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In fairness, without seeing what they were seeing in front of them on the weather radar, it is hard to pass judgment. A long, smooth, uneventful detour is far better than trying to squeeze through a small gap between 40000'+ cells. Strong turbulence at higher altitudes is problematic, and lightning strikes are expensive and disruptive.

Might be the people on that flight had the most boring ride through that weather, and I mean it in a good way.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #3060
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

For sure, there's obviously a lot more factors at play than I'm considering. I just found it weird that they didn't try to go around the south side as it seems way shorter. Based on some other routes I looked at, it's possible that they were attempting to try to split the two biggest systems that were just starting to merge because some other guys made it through there, but it didn't work out and they had to go up north and all the way around. Maybe KC Center couldn't take any more guys deviating to the south of that system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters