Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #481
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=Jay Random;9017330]It doesn't, because Canadian dollars buy less than American dollars. That's why the exchange rate isn't 1 to 1.

It's the same amount of money measured in different units. Why is this hard for anyone to understand?[/QUOTE

Dude…. The player example is 1 who lives in and plays in Canada. The exchanged rate to CDN after taxes makes the few hundred thousand more due to no state taxes in Florida for example disappear pretty quickly. The player makes USD but pays for things in CDN
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #482
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to see a discussion on economics in hanifin thread.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 03:18 PM   #483
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo View Post
I wonder if there is a chart showing Free Agent signings in States without an income tax?

Teams in those states are Panthers, Lightning, Stars, Golden Knights, and Kraken
https://www.capfriendly.com/income-tax-calculator
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:20 PM   #484
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kipreos still selling Tampa for Hanifin. He doesn't seem like the brightest guy to me.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:25 PM   #485
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=rhino;9017391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It doesn't, because Canadian dollars buy less than American dollars. That's why the exchange rate isn't 1 to 1.

It's the same amount of money measured in different units. Why is this hard for anyone to understand?[/QUOTE

Dude…. The player example is 1 who lives in and plays in Canada. The exchanged rate to CDN after taxes makes the few hundred thousand more due to no state taxes in Florida for example disappear pretty quickly. The player makes USD but pays for things in CDN
But things cost more in Canadian dollars than US dollars. Have you never looked at the back of a book and seen two different prices?
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:26 PM   #486
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Kipreos still selling Tampa for Hanifin. He doesn't seem like the brightest guy to me.
I think that is because that is what the agent and Flames want to be out in the media.

Because if you're trying to drag Boston or Florida into the frenzy then Tampa being the "front runner" is the best way to do that.

As of today Florida likely gets Tampa in round 1, and then would likely get Boston in round 2 if they were to win.

They are trying to get an interdivision bidding war going among Florida, Boston and Tampa Bay.

That's best for both the Flames, and Hanifin to maximize the actual AAV of his contract.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:27 PM   #487
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Dude… You don't get the same stuff for a Canadian dollar in Canada that you get for a U.S. dollar in the U.S. At the moment, you get about 20% less. That wipes out most of your alleged advantage.

Sometimes the exchange rate puts the CAD above purchasing power parity, sometimes below. Latest exchange rate is approximately 1 USD = 1.35 CAD. Purchasing power parity, last time I checked, was about 1 USD = 1.23 CAD.

Then consider that if a player has any smarts at all (or his agent does), he's socking most of that money away into investments. Stocks, bonds, real estate, futures – you buy all of those things at the current exchange rate, not at par. Right now, for instance, a share of Apple trades at $169 US. If you offer somebody $169 Canadian for that share, they are not going to take it, even if the trade takes place in Canada.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:31 PM   #488
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think that is because that is what the agent and Flames want to be out in the media.

Because if you're trying to drag Boston or Florida into the frenzy then Tampa being the "front runner" is the best way to do that.

As of today Florida likely gets Tampa in round 1, and then would likely get Boston in round 2 if they were to win.

They are trying to get an interdivision bidding war going among Florida, Boston and Tampa Bay.

That's best for both the Flames, and Hanifin to maximize the actual AAV of his contract.
He was pushing it yesterday as well, almost to the point that he was doing it for a reason, jusrt a vibe.

Then he said Carolina would most likely be trading Pesce because they never let a UFA walk to free agency (Dougie recently)

And the day before that he thought Peterson still had 2 years left on his contract and all this talk didn't matter because he couldn't even sign an extension yet.

3 days in a row he has given me nothing to think better of the guy.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:34 PM   #489
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Accounting Theory was BY FAR the most boring accounting class ever, so you can only imagine how boring that actually could be.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 03:39 PM   #490
Toast_Man
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Accounting Theory was BY FAR the most boring accounting class ever, so you can only imagine how boring that actually could be.
Preach! NOTHING is more boring than accounting theory.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:39 PM   #491
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I used to teach accounting theory, but my doctor told me I should take it easy from now on.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:41 PM   #492
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
All of these states without income tax just make me ask why they don't have income tax.
Toll roads, Private healthcare and private schools.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:43 PM   #493
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Higher sales and property taxes, lower spending on infrastructure, education, social support, and health care.

So basically a bunch of reasons that exclusively screw poor and middle class people. A rich athlete's wet dream.
Had a friend move to Tenn in 2021. He's not making hockey player $, but mid 6 figures. He figures that with buying a new home, furnishing, landscaping etc, that the state government is getting more $ out of him in sales taxes than if he was paying Alberta level sales/income tax. He's thinking 2025 might move things the other way.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:43 PM   #494
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporate taxes, sales tax
Old 03-06-2024, 03:47 PM   #495
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Property taxes in Florida are out of control or so I've heard.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:51 PM   #496
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I used to teach accounting theory, but my doctor told me I should take it easy from now on.
Our hearts are built to withstand only a certain amount of excitation in our lifetimes.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:53 PM   #497
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Corporate taxes, sales tax
Corporate taxes is at least practical. Dividends are over complicated as ####, I can't even remember Accounting Theory but I remember hating it.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:55 PM   #498
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Higher sales and property taxes, lower spending on infrastructure, education, social support, and health care.

So basically a bunch of reasons that exclusively screw poor and middle class people. A rich athlete's wet dream.
Some truth here.

But rich people do tend to buy big houses and pay a lot in property taxes.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 03:57 PM   #499
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Corporate taxes is at least practical. Dividends are over complicated as ####, I can't even remember Accounting Theory but I remember hating it.
I wasn't listing subjects, I was listing ways that state can avoid or minimize income taxes
Old 03-06-2024, 03:57 PM   #500
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Some truth here.

But rich people do tend to buy big houses and pay a lot in property taxes.
The one tax they can’t avoid…
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote