Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #521
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well maybe if they didn't screw around with Ep 8, people would be more willing to fork over dough.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #522
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least this makes it sounds like Rian Johnson’s further Star Wars projects are officially shelved. He’s done enough damage.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #523
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does that mean they're cancelling the previously-announced film scheduled for release in December 2022, or is that 3 year gap what Iger means by "hiatus"? It's hard to tell from the context of his quote.

The Global story added "for the foreseeable future" to his quote, but in the original report from Variety, Iger just says it will be a hiatus for a few years (which would line up with a 2022 release for the next film) -- even that isn't in quotes, so we don't know what Iger actually said/meant: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/d...ks-1203397307/

This is literally the extent of the quote from Variety: Iger said after “The Rise of Skywalker” is released, the film franchise will “go into a hiatus” for a few years.

I wouldn't read too much into that.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #524
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It sounded like they've canned all movie projects after IX and focusing on Disney + content.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #525
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with that, and I also wouldn't read too much into it. 5 films in 5 years is almost overkill at this point, and giving it a rest on the big screen for a few years is probably a wise decision.

Besides, there will be plenty of SW material to keep us occupied over the next little while. I'm especially excited for The Mandalorian and the upcoming Obi-Wan series. The Rogue One prequel series also sounds interesting.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #526
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's all good, gives them time to get the damn house in order. the carousel of directors and writers jumping on and then getting fired/leaving for almost every movie so far has been a huge source (or result?) of the complete lack of planning and vision.

Kathleen Kennedy is president only in name at this point. by the time the movies spin up again, she will have "stepped away" to work on other projects, D&D style.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #527
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Dave Filoni for President of Lucas Films!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #528
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

They really should just give the Star Wars universe to Kevin Feige, the guy is a master at getting the right people to work on the right movies
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #529
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I agree with the sentiment in that article, Star Wars movies should feel like an event, they should be very special. They shouldn't be released on a conveyor belts like Marvel movies. Marvel can make it work with all its separate characters and overall story arc.. Star Wars accomplishes the same thing, but in a trilogy setting.

I'm fine with sticking to the TV format for a few years, then starting fresh with a new setting/characters/plot for a new trilogy. I think it will be a nice break.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #530
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
They really should just give the Star Wars universe to Kevin Feige, the guy is a master at getting the right people to work on the right movies
As recently as September, Feige had indeed partnered up with Lucasfilm. Considering this latest announcement though, I'm not sure if his involvement is still a thing, but just the possibility of it is exciting.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...e-of-skywalker

Quote:
As we found out in September, Kevin Feige, an avid Star Wars fan, is going to be developing a new Star Wars movie.
Quote:
We don’t know what Kevin Feige’s Star Wars movie will be, what characters it will feature or when it will take place, but we do know that he reportedly has a major actor in mind for a specific role in the film.

Although we just found out about this relatively recently, since it’s been announced and not just rumored, it seems entirely likely that Kevin Feige’s Star Wars movie could be the next theatrical release for the franchise.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #531
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting news on what could have been, had Carrie Fisher not died.
Quote:
“She was going to be the big payoff in the final film,” Fisher reveals exclusively to Yahoo Entertainment. “She was going to be the last Jedi, so to speak. That’s cool right?”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...210514180.html

I guess I don't know how to feel about that, it would depend on how it was handled. I go back to that conversation no Endor between Luke and Leia when she says "You have a power I--I don't understand and could never have." I liked that Leia was given her own character and abilities in being a General. Having her go full Force in the last movie may have been a bit jarring, which is I think one of the reasons flying Leia was not taken well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #532
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Interesting news on what could have been, had Carrie Fisher not died.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...210514180.html

I guess I don't know how to feel about that, it would depend on how it was handled. I go back to that conversation no Endor between Luke and Leia when she says "You have a power I--I don't understand and could never have." I liked that Leia was given her own character and abilities in being a General. Having her go full Force in the last movie may have been a bit jarring, which is I think one of the reasons flying Leia was not taken well.
I believe the appropriate and most communally accepted nomenclature is 'Space Mary Poppins.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #533
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rey keeps besting Kylo because reasons and it sounds like she will
Spoiler!
So Leia being all powerful wouldn't be any more jarring.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #534
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Rey keeps besting Kylo because reasons and it sounds like she will
Spoiler!
So Leia being all powerful wouldn't be any more jarring.
After two movies they still haven't qualified Kylo as a credible villain.

I mean in TFA

Shoots up a village.
Angrily yells at Hux
Destroys valuable First Order equipment.
Basically stabs his dad in the back
Fights and defeats a non force using first time light saber user.
Pretty much gets his a$$ kicked by Rey

In TLJ
Hangs out shirtless
verbally spars with Hux
Gets called an angry child pretender by his boss
Basically stabs his boss in the back
Fights a some none force using guards. Rey rides to the rescue
Is used by Snoke to draw out Rey.
Fights and loses to the Luke ghost and lets the Resistance escapes because he makes the military blunder of not making sure there isn't a back door.

Meanwhile the other villains aren't good

Snoke

Does podcasts
Wears elf shoes
Slings around Hux like a rag doll
Completely misreads his apprentice, doesn't notice a rattling light sabre swinging in his direction.

Hux

Personally wipes out the Republic
Flees
Gets pranked by Poe with a prank phone call
Initiates the stupidest Smokey and the Bandit style slow chase of the Republic fleet. Basically becoming the inept Boss Hoggs of the GFFA
Tells Ren that they've shot enough laser bolts at Luke

Mean while

Palpatine

Subverts the Republic
Runs a war on both sides
Pretty much wipes out a 1000's of years old Monastic Group of Super powerful force users by himself
Builds a superweapon and destroys a planet killing billions
Builds another one just to draw the Rebels into a trap only to have his plan fall apart due to betrayal and bad execution

Vader

Pretty much wins every battle he's in during the Clone Wars
Exterminates everyone in the Jedi Temple
Slaughters children
Survives having his leg and arm cut off and being set on fire
Avenges that by killing his master
Stands by and watches the Death Star destroy Alderaan, probably enjoying the newly installed popcorn dispenser in his suit.
Ruthlessly freezes one of the Rebellions greatest heros and selling him to a bounty hunter
Tortures his daughter
Beats the hell out of his son
Betrays one of the greatest Force Users in history.

My problem with the sequels is this.
While they've tried to lovingly develop their heroes, and tried to make them extra-ordinary.
They've basically failed to make villains that are respectable and somewhat frightening, or even to an extent all that interesting.

Vader is an iconic villain
For all the failures of the PT the character of Palpatine stands out. I mean come on, he used taxation to conquer the galaxy, they even had him murder three Jedi Masters and basically throw the senate at Yoda.

It just seems too effortless in the Sequel Trilogy for the Resistance beat the First Order or escape its grasp.

I keep looking at the death star run, The Empire was killing rebel pilots left and right. Vader had killed Luke's best buddy and force the other one to flee and had Luke dead to right when Han showed up. You were actually a little sweaty watching it.

In the sequel trilogy, they made Poe too over powering, and you never felt the mission to kill star killer was going to fail. And then in TLJ he took on a freaking dreadnought single handedly while making prank phone calls.

I mean I think I get why they're possibly bringing back Palpatine, because I'm betting this wasn't JJ's plan, but he looked at Ren and his now matchup with three hero's and basically said, Ren kinda sucks and so does the first order so lets bring back the uber villian. So I'm betting

Spoiler!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 11-09-2019 at 12:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #535
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

opps forget one more villian from the ST

Phasma

Stunning fashion sense
Gives the order to execute unarmed villagers
growls at Fin
Gets convinced in 3 seconds to betray the first order, then gets jammed into a trash compacter as the hero's laugh at her
Growls at Fin
Gets her butt kicked and flushed out in to space.

I'm sure if you talked to Christie she probably wished she never took that role because it was moronic and opposite of what she wanted to be, which is a strong woman villain.

Instead you wonder if she slept her way to the top and wears elf shoes in her off time.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #536
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one month countdown is on and Entertainment Weekly has some new content up: https://ew.com/movies/2019/11/19/sta...-of-skywalker/

There's a few new images from the movie too, including Poe flying the Falcon.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #537
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny because this movie seems to be under advertised by Disney standards. I mean usually you'd see a ton of product placement ads, co ads, heart felt families going to watch the movie ads. Relentless trailers.

But after the final trailer which was really the first trailer its gone pretty silent.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably will hit hard at American Thanksgiving and keep rolling through December.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #539
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

new spot with new footage.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...age_185704.asp

Old 11-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #540
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I started seeing partner ads. I think it was bell. I’m guessing they waited until about a month out to start pushing hard.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nerd rage