Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #981
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Our course has a special price for mens league guys for an extra $200 or so, and they can play unlimited golf on Wednesdays before ML. Quite a few people take advantage of that.

How does ML work at High River, teams vs teams etc?
I'm a member of the Nanton golf course.

9 Hole shotgun start every Tuesday night at 6pm. Members and non-members welcome. Register in the Pro Shop up to a week in advance. You can sign up as a group, or individually and we will find a group for you to play with. Everyone is welcome, members and non-members. We alternate between the front 9 and back 9 each week. Show up early and play 9 holes before if you like.
Weekly Contests:
Weekly game - Entry Fee $12
Game will change weekly. Either a team game or an individual game. Will include hole contestes)
Deuce Pot – Entry Fee $5 cash (money will be split between the number of "deuces" made)
50/50: $2 optional entry
Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #982
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only gotten out for 9 holes four times so far this year. Haven't even been able to play a full 18! Had a tee time yesterday morning but cancelled it due to weather.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #983
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should have been more specific, serves me right for posting before coffee....

What I meant to say was unlimited golf on Wednesday is included with the men's league fees.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #984
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I've got a set of Calloway "warbirds" Drive - putter. Essentially a beginners club. Would hope to spend less than $800 on irons.

I shoot about 85 - 90 regularly but can't seem to improve much. The grips are starting to go so I figure I should replace everything.
To further the discussion on what you should do, reference this article.

http://golftips.golfweek.com/need-cu...lubs-1212.html

Getting fitted is useless if you can't hit the ball with any consistency. While a great marketing ploy, fitting is a waste of time and money unless you are a physical anomaly, being really tall, really short,having extra long arms etc. To someone with an inconsistent swing a one degree adjustment in any orientation is not going to make any difference. Same with a half inch longer club. Unless you have got your game dialed in and looking to make minuscule adjustments you're likely wasting your time and money. I equate this as to getting tailored clothes for a 10 year old. A waste of money.

Now, if you have that good swing down, and at looking to improve your game, get fittied. But make sure you do yourself the service of verifying that what you get sold is what you receive. I know of more than a few players that were told they were getting special orders but ended up with standard clubs. The only way to find out is to put them on a loft/lie machine and verify they were manufactured that way. When you do go down this road you are going to have to put your clubs on the machine and continually fine tune them back to your spec, as play will bend them out of spec and back to standard.

The bending process applies mostly to forged clubs, which are almost only blades these days. Most players are playing casted irons, which are very difficult to bent on a loft/lie machine. Casted iron is very difficult to bend as it wants to go back to the state it was originally cast to. Most club builders are not going to try and bend a casted product. A reputable club maker is not going to risk his well being and his equipment to try and bend a club that was not designed to bend. Cast irons are not designed to be bent and to do so requires more pressure than a bending machine can maintain. Something usually fails, and with a casted iron the failure is spectacular and results in shrapnel which can damage the machine and the operator. If you're thinking of bending a club make sure you're buying forged irons. Recognize that forged irons are also for advanced players and are no where near as forgiving or corrective as the casted clubs available.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #985
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The OP said he's shooting between 85 and 90. That makes him about a 12 ish handicap.

He would most definitely benefit from a fitting.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #986
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The OP said he's shooting between 85 and 90. That makes him about a 12 ish handicap.

He would most definitely benefit from a fitting.
Score does not mean a thing when it comes to a fitting. That is why I asked about hitting the ball consistently on the face. I know plenty of people who score decenetly but couldn't find the center of the face with any consistency. If you can't group in on the sweet spot a fitting is useless. If someone can't replicate a consistent swing, where their hands are in the right position, then how is an adjustment of lie going to affect their consistency? Better to spend the money on a series of lessons, learn good mechanics with proof on some impact tape, then go get fitted. Basically work your swing to maturity then get the expensive suit.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 05-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #987
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a good question for people. What is the most expensive club in your bag?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #988
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfed at Confed yesterday. It was awesome! No one was there, not even a marshall!
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #989
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Normally my putter.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #990
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I don't even know where to start on how to shop around for new stuff. Anyone have any idea on where to start?
D'Arcy Ranch is having a demo day on Friday June 2nd. Taylor Made, Titleist and Ping.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #991
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably the Scotty Cameron putter or the Titleist 915D3 driver.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #992
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Driver for sure. Putter is my least expensive, I traded the pro shop for it back in high school. Found a bunch of irons in the mud of a dried up pond one hot and dry summer and the guy traded me the putter straight up for them.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #993
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone tried some PXG irons? Hit my buddies yesturday and wow did they ever feel nice, got me thinking about getting some fitted.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #994
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Will there ever be places that carry them that you could try out? I'd love to try them out, but finding someone who owns a set is like finding a unicorn. Lucky you!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #995
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta Golf Works in Red Deer is a PXG dealer. Not sure if they have demos or just a fitting cart.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #996
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The PXG clubs are terrible looking and wouldnt buy them for that reason, dont care how much i like them.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #997
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Aren't the like $5000 USD per set ($700 for a driver and $300 per iron)? If you had money to burn, I suppose.....
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #998
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Dancing Bull rates have been posted
"We will have affordable 18 Hole Greenfee rates at $69.90 and will offer early week, twilight, and Nighthawk rates based off that."
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #999
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ $69.90 - why not just make it an even $70?

so is the interpretation that is the weekend "high" rate? Wording seems a little vague.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #1000
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ $69.90 - why not just make it an even $70?

so is the interpretation that is the weekend "high" rate? Wording seems a little vague.
I would bet that's their cheapest rate and goes up from there, typical marketing. With twilight being less etc..
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow