Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #21
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Panarin or Mackinnon should win. Draisaitl might just win based on points pace though.
Voters shouldn't overlook his terrible 5 on 5 play and -7
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #22
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Drasaitl to win the Hart you have to make a convincing argument that Draisaitl is more important to the team than McDavid. I can't see that happening. I think this has to be Panarin.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #23
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Mackinnon would get my vote.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Mackinnon would get my vote.
Mine too. He is a top-three or -four player in the world, in my opinion, and neither one of the other nominees is even close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #25
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panarin and McKinnon are both equally deserving, and I won’t argue strongly either way.

I think there are likely 20 players more deserving that you know who.

Including Jossi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #26
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1285618404716687360

The gap between MacKinnon and his teammates is pretty large. Nate should win.

There's lots of statistical arguments one could make for any of the candidates, but I think this is the one that weighs the most with me.

MacKinnon has 43 points more than the next-highest player on his team (who is a rookie defenceman, by the way). You would think Colorado would be Edmonton-level bad with that kind of production disparity, yet they were one win away from being tied for first in the West. Is there any explanation for that other than the MacKinnon effect?

Draisaitl had a great offensive season, but I question how much he moved the needle for Edmonton as a whole. The fact you could take him off the Oilers and they would still have the highest scoring forward in the league tends to work against him, I'd say.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #27
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd like to see Panarin get it.

Even if Draisatl deserves it I hope he doesn't win it. I have too many insufferable Oiler fan friends to listen to that crap.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #28
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Panarin wins so that when they miss the "playoffs" all the media will back pedal their claims that you have to make the playoffs to win the Hart.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I hope Panarin wins so that when they miss the "playoffs" all the media will back pedal their claims that you have to make the playoffs to win the Hart.
It's okay. You can feel just as satisfied with the media back peddle if Draisaitl wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #30
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
MacKinnon is absolutely in McDavid's ballpark and I hope he outshines him (with the hardware that actually matters) when all is said and done.

Leon seems like a piece of crap person and fits the oilers like a glove but admittedly was a production machine. Just still don't trust him defensively as far as I could throw him, but when you're scoring that much it doesn't really matter a whole lot.
Where do you get the seems likes a piece of crap person part?
Hate him because he's an Oiler and because of deficiencies in play, but no need to make stuff up about him personally.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #31
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to see Panarin win, and Oiler fans lose their crap over it lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #32
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
MacKinnon is absolutely in McDavid's ballpark and I hope he outshines him (with the hardware that actually matters) when all is said and done.

Leon seems like a piece of crap person and fits the oilers like a glove but admittedly was a production machine. Just still don't trust him defensively as far as I could throw him, but when you're scoring that much it doesn't really matter a whole lot.
Lol what? What is this based on? What he said about getting off the ice if Tkachuk was on at the all star game or trash talking between benches with other teams? He never says anything over the line. It's sports, the Flames are his biggest rival. It's a part of sport.

Also here:

Draisaitl donates $150,000 per year for 8 years (1.2 M) to Hockey Helps Kids and WE day.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4482268/e...-day-donation/

Another article of him helping the community and helping with food for the hungry
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...er-1028662314#

In addition to that he is at the Stollery volunteering with sick kids. He's a class act.

In terms of the award, I think it's a 2 horse race between him and MacKinnon. Panarin will get 3rd. RNH and Yamamoto went on a tear in the 2nd half of the season because of Drasiaitl's play. He was on his own line. He plays on the powerplay with McDavid and both of those guys were the reasons the PP was #1 in the NHL. He was -7 on the year but I believe he was on the ice for at least 9 or 10 empty net goals against which skew the stats.

But hey, I thought he was only good because of McDavid right?

Last edited by OILFAN #81; 07-21-2020 at 04:26 PM.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #33
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panarin has to be the longshot to win this award, especially when you consider he quite possibly isn't the best player on the Rangers.

Mika Zibanejad put up 41 goals and 75 points in 57 games. He'd be right up there with Leon for the Art Ross.

Still can't believe he was traded for Brassard AND Ottawa had to throw in a 2nd round pick to get the deal done.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #34
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many of Draisaitl's points involved McDavid, and where is a good place to find that out for myself?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

70 of his points involved McDavid, and you found that out here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #36
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Leon isn't the best player on his team. I don't see how he's the most valuable to his team based on the award description
Couldn’t agree more. I’m not trying to take anything away from Draisaitl, he had a great season, but if you’re not even the MVP of your own team how can you be the MVP of the entire league?

MacKinnon has my vote this year.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #37
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw some fancy stats a while back that showed Panarin as clearly the most valuable. He was dominant 5 on 5 while also contributing on the PP and not hurting his team on defense. Even looking at traditional stats finishing tied for 3rd in points while also being 2nd in +/- is pretty impressive.

Looking at Draisaitl I was kind of hoping Pastrnak would have been nominated instead. Drai is a great offensive player but most of his success was on the power play. He's earned the Art Ross but is not MVP material.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #38
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panarin should absolutely win. Not only did he win the 5v5 scoring title, he did it playing mostly with Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast. It really annoys me that the Hart has become a redundant clone of the Art Ross such that if you lead the league in points by more than a couple you're basically a lock. I am hoping that this season is different, because there has been a large movement for Panarin since the shutdown, and there's a chance that might have resonated enough to make a difference. I guess we'll see.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll also leave this here for anyone who didn't watch much of Panarin and the Rangers this year (which I assume is most people).

Old 07-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was told by the the voters you had to make the playoffs to win the hart. Would be comical for them to vote for a guy on the 11th placed team in the east now wouldn’t it?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote