Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #1541
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So as not to hijack the Tech thread Raekwon I will respond in here. (I recently bought a new gaming rig and am looking for games to play).

I grew up on games like FF2/3, Lufia, Shining Force, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre etc.. those were always my jam. I played a lot of MMO's. Probably my favourite game of all time was Ultima Online 1997-99.

So what games can we recommend in that genre for PC, or even outside that genre that are just games, that can take full advantage of a Fully Armed and Operational Deathstar of a machine.
To echo what others have said, Divinity Original Sin 2 is fantastic. If you want more, take a look at XCOM 1 & 2, Invisible Inc, Shadowrun series, The Banner Saga series and Battletech.

You also can't go wrong with the Witcher 3 if you haven't played that already.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #1542
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow cool didn't realize you could do that with a PS4 controller. Can you play a PS4 game like battlefront 2 on your PC that are playing it on their PS4's?

Divinity 2 looks amazing. Saying it draws heavy from one of my favourite games of all time, Ultima VII. I have to play it.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #1543
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wow cool didn't realize you could do that with a PS4 controller. Can you play a PS4 game like battlefront 2 on your PC that are playing it on their PS4's?

Divinity 2 looks amazing. Saying it draws heavy from one of my favourite games of all time, Ultima VII. I have to play it.
You cannot. Sony is notoriously close walled when it comes to crossplay. Plus, in a pvp fps mouse and keyboard players would annihilate controller users. I am not too familiar with PS4 controller support but I do know that 360 & xb1 controllers are practically universally supported.
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #1544
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Are you talking about playing online in PS Now against people using a PS4, or playing a PC version of a game against console users? The first scenario is a yes, PS Now is streaming directly from Playstation hardware so there's no difference in multiplayer compared to a PS4 console. The second scenario is no, Sony has not enabled cross-platform play for their online network
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #1545
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
You cannot. Sony is notoriously close walled when it comes to crossplay. Plus, in a pvp fps mouse and keyboard players would annihilate controller users. I am not too familiar with PS4 controller support but I do know that 360 & xb1 controllers are practically universally supported.

Depends on the game. One recent Fortnight tournament had a winner who used a controller beat mouse/keyboard players, because the auto-aim in that game is so over powered
Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #1546
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

A nice looking trailer for Jedi: Fallen Order

I think they botched the reveal of this one around E3 but it’s actually looking pretty good.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #1547
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Are you talking about playing online in PS Now against people using a PS4, or playing a PC version of a game against console users? The first scenario is a yes, PS Now is streaming directly from Playstation hardware so there's no difference in multiplayer compared to a PS4 console. The second scenario is no, Sony has not enabled cross-platform play for their online network
The only exception that I know of is Rocket League. That game has crossplay and cross platform party systems.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #1548
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
A nice looking trailer for Jedi: Fallen Order

I think they botched the reveal of this one around E3 but it’s actually looking pretty good.

The rumor is that

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #1549
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
The only exception that I know of is Rocket League. That game has crossplay and cross platform party systems.
Fornite has cross party and shocking the new Call of Duty coming out also supports cross play cross party
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #1550
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just an FYI

GOG has a sale on Space Quest IV V VI
Kings Quest IV V VI
Diablo

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #1551
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for a decent game to play with the S/O. We LOVED playing City of Heroes when that was a thing. I tried to get back into WoW with her. She quite enjoys it, I'm thoroughly bored with it.

Was thinking Fortnite? Are there any games or servers catering to noobs? She's really only played the MMORPG style mentioned aboe, this would be her first FPS and not sure she'd be able to wrap her head around it. Much faster pace.

Or is there anything new in the MMORPG in the same vein as CoH?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #1552
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Looking for a decent game to play with the S/O. We LOVED playing City of Heroes when that was a thing. I tried to get back into WoW with her. She quite enjoys it, I'm thoroughly bored with it.

Was thinking Fortnite? Are there any games or servers catering to noobs? She's really only played the MMORPG style mentioned aboe, this would be her first FPS and not sure she'd be able to wrap her head around it. Much faster pace.

Granted the community can be toxic at times have you considered something like League of Legends or DOTA?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #1553
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

No I have not. I will look at both of those, thanks a ton for the suggestions!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #1554
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No I have not. I will look at both of those, thanks a ton for the suggestions!
Both are free to play too so you're out nothing.

There's a bit of a learning curve but some youtube videos will get you going.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #1555
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final Fantasy XIV is handily the best MMORPG out right now. IMO it’s the best ever.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #1556
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

Minecraft? Totally different than the games you've mentioned but easily the most fun cooperative game I've played. It never seems to get boring.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #1557
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Final Fantasy XIV is handily the best MMORPG out right now. IMO it’s the best ever.
I agree that it's currently the top dog in the MMO genre (and the Shadowbringers MSQ was amazing). Unfortunately, I think right now isn't a good time to be a new player. They're about to revamp the original game's main story quest line which is bloated with filler, so I would suggest waiting until that's done to start playing.

Secondly, leveling is going to be a largely solo affair unless you and the people you partner with watch cinematics at the same pace. There's a ton of them, and if you either speed read or skip them entirely, then you're going to be really separated in time. When it comes time to do dungeons and raids and such then it gets back to normal MMO stuff, but even then I always felt guilty being the one wanting to watch the cinematics after a raid wing when most everyone is waiting for you.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #1558
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I agree that it's currently the top dog in the MMO genre (and the Shadowbringers MSQ was amazing). Unfortunately, I think right now isn't a good time to be a new player. They're about to revamp the original game's main story quest line which is bloated with filler, so I would suggest waiting until that's done to start playing.

Secondly, leveling is going to be a largely solo affair unless you and the people you partner with watch cinematics at the same pace. There's a ton of them, and if you either speed read or skip them entirely, then you're going to be really separated in time. When it comes time to do dungeons and raids and such then it gets back to normal MMO stuff, but even then I always felt guilty being the one wanting to watch the cinematics after a raid wing when most everyone is waiting for you.

the nice thing is you can go to an inn and watch them later if you do end up skipping them.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #1559
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
the nice thing is you can go to an inn and watch them later if you do end up skipping them.
Unfortunately (for now) you can only replay the cinematics, and not the dialogue that happens before and after the cinematic for the quest. Sometimes some pretty important stuff is said outside cinematics too.

When they add New Game+ you'll at least be able to replay all the quest text.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #1560
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well now I have to add MK11 to my ever expanding shopping list