Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2019, 12:13 AM   #2681
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good on ya fellas for toughing the cold.
I couldn't make it tonight (had hockey)

And #### Forge. Really can't afford any yellows.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #2682
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

OneSoccer were really pushing the "close match" narrative, both in the studio and on the sidelines in the interviews. When the sideline reporter post-match tried to say how the first half was evenly matched, Tommy said "I disagree!" and blasted out a bunch of lopsided stats that showed otherwise. It was almost like he was prepared to come out and shut down the BS in the interview.

Man, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but you can really see the league's hard on through their pants more than ever now. It is a little bit concerning as the final gets closer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #2683
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
OneSoccer were really pushing the "close match" narrative, both in the studio and on the sidelines in the interviews. When the sideline reporter post-match tried to say how the first half was evenly matched, Tommy said "I disagree!" and blasted out a bunch of lopsided stats that showed otherwise. It was almost like he was prepared to come out and shut down the BS in the interview.

Man, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but you can really see the league's hard on through their pants more than ever now. It is a little bit concerning as the final gets closer.
I saw that and it was awesome! It was great to see Tommy pop right back and say he thought it wasn't close on the night and that we should have had 3-4.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #2684
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Last night was a thing of beauty. The fans were outstanding; the on-field product even better.

Seeing Novak celebrate like he was graduating from the school of Drew Doughty and then Dominique Malonga shutting it down that real quick was one of the Fall season highlights.

I have to watch what I say about OneSoccer, but the Hamilton pandering is obvious and ridiculous. It's like Calgary is some clueless armpit.

The fans at Spruce Meadows are incredible -- indeed the 12th man. You make a difference, and I think come Nov. 2, you'll show all of Canada why Calgary is a true soccer city. The club (players, coaching staff, ownership) feeds off of each and every person.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #2685
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The buildup from Brown to Mavila to Malonga on the second goal produced arguably the nicest team goal all year. I think Mavila has been an underrated player for the club at LB with his wok rate and willingness to get up and down the pitch (albeit with some rough tackles a few games ago).

Hope people are snapping up tickets for the last Al Classico and the finals on Nov 2. Yours truly will be presenting the Wildrose Cup to Cavalry at the end of the game, I believe on national TV too...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #2686
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Last night was a thing of beauty. The fans were outstanding; the on-field product even better.

Seeing Novak celebrate like he was graduating from the school of Drew Doughty and then Dominique Malonga shutting it down that real quick was one of the Fall season highlights.

I have to watch what I say about OneSoccer, but the Hamilton pandering is obvious and ridiculous. It's like Calgary is some clueless armpit.

The fans at Spruce Meadows are incredible -- indeed the 12th man. You make a difference, and I think come Nov. 2, you'll show all of Canada why Calgary is a true soccer city. The club (players, coaching staff, ownership) feeds off of each and every person.

That line is hilarious!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #2687
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, an important note about the finals...

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/soc...-championship/

Quote:
The championship series legs both kick off at 1:30 p.m. MT in Hamilton and Calgary. Both are expected to be televised on CBC.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #2688
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to believe that there are only two home games left. I will be sad when the season is over. It's been a heap of fun so far.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #2689
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Fantastic to see those getting nationally televised. I think the days of MLS on CBC really helped grow support for Toronto FC in the early days, and hopefully it does the same for the teams in our own league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #2690
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding yellow card accumulation...

Pasquotti, Buscher, and Waterman have hit 4 and will miss a match prior to the finals, making them available. Perfect.

Mavila and Minatel are on 3 each. If they get one more next Wednesday, October 16th, after the 14-day window, their suspension would kick in on October 30th. Available for the first leg on October 26th, but unavailable for the 2nd leg on November 2nd.

Edited to snip my overthinking.

After a bit of digging, it looks like the 14 day window is inclusive, despite the wording on the CanPL site as the suspension kicking in on the first match AFTER the 14 day window. Using Buscher as an example, he got his yellow on October 5th, and is ineligible for October 19th vs. Edmonton.

So... anyone who hits card accumulation on October 19th will be ineligible for November 2nd, based on past precedent. Thankfully there is a deep squad and it is possible to sit anyone at risk in the last two matches.

And it seems that any accumulation gained in the first leg of the final will be moot, because the second leg is within the 14 day window.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 10-10-2019 at 10:37 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #2691
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post

This is so true... that Kurt Larsen guy in particular seems to have a real hate on for Calgary, even when he says something complimentary it looks painful for him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #2692
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
This is so true... that Kurt Larsen guy in particular seems to have a real hate on for Calgary, even when he says something complimentary it looks painful for him.
He wasn't even on the broadcast last night, but it seems the others are drinking the kool-aid too.

Don't get me wrong, I think that we are fortunate to have OneSoccer, and most of us are familiar with the Eastern bias from hockey broadcasts and whatnot. But it seemed extra blatant last night. I'm so glad that Tommy wasn't having it in the post-match interview.

Actually, I think that the whole "backwoods nuisance vs. league founding father's golden child" thing is working really well for Cavalry, and isn't lost on the coaches or the players. It isn't the first time that Tommy has called a spade a spade in an interview, and I'm sure it has become a nice little motivator for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #2693
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
He wasn't even on the broadcast last night, but it seems the others are drinking the kool-aid too.

Don't get me wrong, I think that we are fortunate to have OneSoccer, and most of us are familiar with the Eastern bias from hockey broadcasts and whatnot. But it seemed extra blatant last night. I'm so glad that Tommy wasn't having it in the post-match interview.

Actually, I think that the whole "backwoods nuisance vs. league founding father's golden child" thing is working really well for Cavalry, and isn't lost on the coaches or the players. It isn't the first time that Tommy has called a spade a spade in an interview, and I'm sure it has become a nice little motivator for everyone.
Should make a sign for the supporters section, during our final leg.
Just needle away at the eastern establishment.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #2694
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Is there a spot to watch Tommy's interview online?
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #2695
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill bumface View Post
is there a spot to watch tommy's interview online?
https://twitter.com/user/status/1182406168955772928

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #2696
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just looked at the Golden Boot race and Malonga is right near the top now with 11 goals. He is tied for second with Campbell and only 1 back from Borges.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #2697
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that Forge gave themselves a condensed schedule after all that changing it about. They played on the 6th and 9th, they play again tomorrow (the 12th) before they play Cavalry again Wednesday the 16th. That is 4 games in ten days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #2698
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I love that Forge gave themselves a condensed schedule after all that changing it about. They played on the 6th and 9th, they play again tomorrow (the 12th) before they play Cavalry again Wednesday the 16th. That is 4 games in ten days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #2699
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

3-0 York9 over Forge!
Old 10-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #2700
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forge looks tired.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge