Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2024, 04:21 PM   #41
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would just prefer not to default to the 8 year term. Lots of good NHL players that don’t play on max term contracts. And IMO eventually NHL GM’s are going to start handing out less of these.

I’m kind of split on extending or trading Rasmus. I can be swayed by either side of that argument really.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:29 PM   #42
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I would just prefer not to default to the 8 year term. Lots of good NHL players that don’t play on max term contracts. And IMO eventually NHL GM’s are going to start handing out less of these.
The smart ones will stop handing them out unless the player is coming off ELC. The not so smart ones will keep doing it, celebrate, and get canned before the piper has to be paid.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:09 PM   #43
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

--

Last edited by CSharp; 03-31-2024 at 06:12 PM.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:10 PM   #44
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whipping boys list: Mangiappane, Vladar, Anderson, Kuzemenko, Sharingovich, ... I'm sure Weagar's in there
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 06:25 PM   #45
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
my problem with signing him to an 8 year contract is that he will be 30 years old when his contract starts. I guess we’ll see how he ages in the next two years. I think you may need to plug your nose and extend players when you are in your contention window even though those contracts may not age well. But i don’t think calgary will be in any kind of contention window in two years. I just think it would be better asset management to trade him rather than extend him.
100%
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 07:26 PM   #46
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Extending Anderson ≠ Eight Years
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:32 PM   #47
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Whipping boys list: Mangiappane, Vladar, Anderson, Kuzemenko, Sharingovich, ... I'm sure Weagar's in there
Dont think people wanting to trade someone for assets makes them a whipping boy. It's what smart teams do. Especially ones that will be 30 by the time their new contract starts and won't be playing meaningful games as a Calgary Flame most likely in the next 2 years. Might as well have smart asset management going forward if we aren't going to be competitive.

Not sure why this made you so mad. It's a discussion forum..discuss or don't
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:35 PM   #48
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Dont think people wanting to trade someone for assets makes them a whipping boy. It's what smart teams do. Especially ones that will be 30 by the time their new contract starts and won't be playing meaningful games as a Calgary Flame most likely in the next 2 years. Might as well have smart asset management going forward if we aren't going to be competitive.

Give them credit; at least they spelled 1 out of 6 Flames players correctly.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:35 PM   #49
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure why you think CSharp is mad.

I am, however, pretty sure why you think it's a good move to trade away all your experienced defencemen and go into a rebuild with nothing.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:01 PM   #50
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m on board with keeping Rasmus around. If an extension ends up looking too ridiculous then sure, you explore moving the player without a doubt if the value is there, but I feel like some fans are just way too spring-loaded to ship guys out the door right now. He’s a homegrown asset that from my seat looks to be a leader in the room and a character that fans can somewhat rally around.

We need to be mindful of losing the forest for the trees as the Flames reconstruct the team lest we come out the other side of this thing without any anchors or pillar-type players that a) can benefit the team with their experience, and b) have meaningful roots and history with the Flames.

Last edited by Max Cow Disease; 03-31-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Max Cow Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Cow Disease For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 08:08 PM   #51
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
The smart ones will stop handing them out unless the player is coming off ELC. The not so smart ones will keep doing it, celebrate, and get canned before the piper has to be paid.
You talk as if GMs were the only people involved, and the players were just passive recipients of whatever contracts were put before them to sign.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:36 PM   #52
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Not sure why you think CSharp is mad.

I am, however, pretty sure why you think it's a good move to trade away all your experienced defencemen and go into a rebuild with nothing.
Usually the eye rolling emoticon means they're mad or triggered. I think during a rebuild you trade away assets for younger assets. Possibly trading away a player who will be 30 at the end of his current contract is at least worthy of discussion.

It makes sense. And if they can sign him to a team friendly contract when he's 30 then great too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 08:39 PM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Usually the eye rolling emoticon means they're mad or triggered. I think during a rebuild you trade away assets for younger assets. Possibly trading away a player who will be 30 at the end of his current contract is at least worthy of discussion.

It makes sense. And if they can sign him to a team friendly contract when he's 30 then great too.
That’s not what an eye roll means.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 08:55 PM   #54
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That’s not what an eye roll means.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:45 PM   #55
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
My problem with signing him to an 8 year contract is that he will be 30 years old when his contract starts. I guess we’ll see how he ages in the next two years. I think you may need to plug your nose and extend players when you are in your contention window even though those contracts may not age well. But I don’t think Calgary will be in any kind of contention window in two years. I just think it would be better asset management to trade him rather than extend him.
Everyone is also forgetting. He has to want to resign here. One of the bigger train wrecks in the league in a high tax jurisdiction.

Might not be as appealing to him as you think.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:42 AM   #56
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Usually the eye rolling emoticon means they're mad or triggered.
No, it doesn't. It indicates ridicule.

Quote:
I think during a rebuild you trade away assets for younger assets.
That doesn't meant you trade away ALL your assets for younger assets.

Quote:
Possibly trading away a player who will be 30 at the end of his current contract is at least worthy of discussion.
When the team only has two experienced NHL defencemen under contract past this year, it's liable to be a pretty short discussion.

Quote:
It makes sense.
Only if you ignore the actual situation.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:01 AM   #57
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really depends on the situation in the year before his contract runs out. I wouldn't trade him now unless you are getting a defenseman back. No interest in being a complete disaster team to gain 10% improvement in lottery odds.

The spread in lottery odds between 2 and 10 is 10%. Its also 35 points. At the Flames current position you could at least pretend they might make the playoffs for most of the year vs a team like Anaheim or Columbus that has been done since November.

Obviously you'd rather pick 3 than 10, but Flames could easily land the 8th pick based on how teams are playing post trade deadline.

But I'd rather 3 years of that and hope for some lottery luck than just being complete garbage for 3 years and hoping your draft picks pan out so you aren't 8 years into this and still puttering around waiting for the moment.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:09 AM   #58
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Really depends on the situation in the year before his contract runs out. I wouldn't trade him now unless you are getting a defenseman back. No interest in being a complete disaster team to gain 10% improvement in lottery odds.

The spread in lottery odds between 2 and 10 is 10%. Its also 35 points. At the Flames current position you could at least pretend they might make the playoffs for most of the year vs a team like Anaheim or Columbus that has been done since November.

Obviously you'd rather pick 3 than 10, but Flames could easily land the 8th pick based on how teams are playing post trade deadline.

But I'd rather 3 years of that and hope for some lottery luck than just being complete garbage for 3 years and hoping your draft picks pan out so you aren't 8 years into this and still puttering around waiting for the moment.
Look at San Jose. They are complete garbage but they've got literally 2 guys in their entire system worth a damn right now. They will end up with a top 3 pick, but that will be 3 guys (maybe 4 if the Pittsburgh pick conveys this year - top 10 protected) in the entire organization that are anything more than borderline prospects or long term NHL guys. Its a long path back to respectability for them.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:05 AM   #59
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will preface this by saying that I DO NOT believe in 'burn it to the ground', or 'scorched earth' rebuilds. I think they usually end up in disaster for years and years and make it difficult to come out of.

I do, however, fully believe that a rebuild was necessary, and have been wanting it for a while now.

I think the defence has been gutted enough. You have to be careful to provide a decent enough environment where everyone can grow. If your defence is too lousy, then it will certainly make it tougher on Wolf to play behind a defence that he can't trust - just like it was for Dubynk in Edmonton until he got out of that organization and won a Vezina. You also need your young D to be sheltered and get brought up the right way. I also think that forwards playing in front of a lousy defensive core also suffer - they end up having to come back too far all the time to help out, the transition suffers and everyone ends up holding their stick a bit too tightly and become afraid of taking any risks just to make sure it doesn't result in the puck going into the back of their own net.

I think in a rebuild, you have to balance it out between extracting as much value for your assets + ensuring you get a decent pick, with providing a good learning environment that will build back up upon itself, rather than continue imploding. I think the defence is there already, especially in case someone gets injured.

Rasmus has 2 more years after this one. His team-friendly deal does carry value which I think would make a return for him even better, but I do think you should probably hold onto him a little longer. I think you reevaluate this next off-season - or at next season's trade deadline at the very earliest.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 09:24 AM   #60
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames won't need to trade anyone off this roster to secure a top 10 pick next year. This is only the beginning. We aren't going to sniff a playoff race for another couple of seasons.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote