Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2023, 10:16 AM   #1921
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Of course.
Thank you!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #1922
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Would they really want to bring back Tom? I mean they pretty much finished his story with him going to a Cardassian prison for life in DS9 and he went as a noble hero. I doubt that the Cardassians would have kept humans alive during the Dominion War.

They could generously steal from other Trek and have Riker come from a third mirror universe where everyone in Star Fleet is a coward.
The thing is really...there is no need to bring Tom Riker back into it. But then again there was no real need to turn Picard into an Android either.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:23 AM   #1923
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The portal weapon on the ship was a little silly -- I thought it was actually pretty cool and really visually interesting when it was used in the first episode to destroy that big building, but the application of it in space is kinda dumb. You can just go around things in space.

"He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking."

That portal gun is ridiculous. I watched the last episode and said aloud to myself, "Why don't they just GO AROUND the portal opening? Or just STOP before they go through the portal?"
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #1924
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ships in space still require time and space to make maneuvers.
Even fancy 24th century ones.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #1925
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Ships in space still require time and space to make maneuvers.
Even fancy 24th century ones.
Still though...it was a little dumb.

I was half expecting to see Rick Sanchez admonish them for being lazy.

Its like...."You know what would make this sillier? Essentially magic. Lets get some of that in there and we can make the ship fly in circles. Weeeee....."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #1926
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Its like...."You know what would make this sillier? Essentially magic. Lets get some of that in there and we can make the ship fly in circles. Weeeee....."
It is one of my pet peeves in shows like Star Trek where these huge ships are maneuvering like F-22's

In my opinions the battles in TWOK and TUC were awesome because the ships felt like what they were. Big cruisers that were more likely to be unable to evade in basically faster then light torpedoes and phaser broadsides and using their shields to soak up attacks.

The Nebula scene in TWOK was really excellent.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #1927
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Oooh....

What if the changeling rebels were assimilated by the Borg and are impersonating Tom Riker....as an Android?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 11:59 AM   #1928
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It is one of my pet peeves in shows like Star Trek where these huge ships are maneuvering like F-22's

In my opinions the battles in TWOK and TUC were awesome because the ships felt like what they were. Big cruisers that were more likely to be unable to evade in basically faster then light torpedoes and phaser broadsides and using their shields to soak up attacks.

The Nebula scene in TWOK was really excellent.
The Dominion war had giant ships like Galaxy or D'deridex class featuring both the maneuverability and durability of X wings. I don't think they should be as lumbering as star destroyers but a bit of inertia for ships hundreds of meters long would be more relatable
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:36 PM   #1929
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Oooh....

What if the changeling rebels were assimilated by the Borg and are impersonating Tom Riker....as an Android?
And Picard is trapped in a holo deck recreation of this story and nobody around him is actually real. And the simulation universe is slowly shrinking around him

Thanks a lot Barclay.

Old 03-06-2023, 02:37 PM   #1930
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
The Dominion war had giant ships like Galaxy or D'deridex class featuring both the maneuverability and durability of X wings. I don't think they should be as lumbering as star destroyers but a bit of inertia for ships hundreds of meters long would be more relatable
What? I thought the dominion war was excellent at showing the disparity of ship types in terms of maneuverability. Hell, that lack of maneuverability literally got a Galaxy destroyed in the first encounter with the gem hadar. Then, in Sacrifice of Angels (or the episode preceeding) there's an epic shot of a galaxy maneuvering into a blocking position and soaking up phaser fire as some fighters make a strafing run at the Galor class ships.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 02:47 PM   #1931
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also just moments before that, they escaped by detonating a torpedo and blowing away the ship with a concussive wave -- which obviously wouldn't work in space.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:56 PM   #1932
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Also just moments before that, they escaped by detonating a torpedo and blowing away the ship with a concussive wave -- which obviously wouldn't work in space.
Hey man...cant let anything get in the way of your ham-fisted homage to submarine movies...

Maybe next episode we'll be treated to a scene of Riker riding a Quantum Torpedo into the NotScimitar.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 03:42 PM   #1933
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What? I thought the dominion war was excellent at showing the disparity of ship types in terms of maneuverability. Hell, that lack of maneuverability literally got a Galaxy destroyed in the first encounter with the gem hadar. Then, in Sacrifice of Angels (or the episode preceeding) there's an epic shot of a galaxy maneuvering into a blocking position and soaking up phaser fire as some fighters make a strafing run at the Galor class ships.
ok I was exaggerating with those specific ship types, but still, this is definitely more like x-wings and tie fighters flying around corvettes than it is a bunch of slow naval vessels exchanging broadsides. look a the Birds of Prey and Defiant, those are definitely doing maneuvers that would make Wedge Antilles proud, and they are still over 100m long/wide.

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:13 PM   #1934
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved episode 3. I see flaws but I’ve convinced myself that this is the last time that I’ll see these characters together and so I better enjoy it. Flaws be damned.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:26 PM   #1935
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I loved episode 3. I see flaws but I’ve convinced myself that this is the last time that I’ll see these characters together and so I better enjoy it. Flaws be damned.
I think thats 'Stockholm Syndrome.'

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 09:22 AM   #1936
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
There was definitely flaws and dumbness upon review but it was also quite engaging and exciting, I'd be lying if I said that runtime didn't fly past and end with me really looking forward to next week!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #1937
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
ok I was exaggerating with those specific ship types, but still, this is definitely more like x-wings and tie fighters flying around corvettes than it is a bunch of slow naval vessels exchanging broadsides. look a the Birds of Prey and Defiant, those are definitely doing maneuvers that would make Wedge Antilles proud, and they are still over 100m long/wide.

I did kind of snicker in the last episode when the titan was running away from the other ship and spinning on its axis like a fighter to avoid torpedoes and I hear Jake Lloyds voice in my head from Phantom menace "Lets try spinning that's a neat trick"

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #1938
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I think thats 'Stockholm Syndrome.'
I have stockholm syndrome for everything from childhood and that's okay. Its not like I'm paying for Paramount Plus
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #1939
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Today's episode should have had this music.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:37 AM   #1940
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they seriously riff off a submarine episode immediately after riffing off of a submarine episode that they copied from a movie?

"Dont Come"

Essentially the motto of this series.