Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #3121
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Dollars to donuts Voyager and Paris save the day to tie back to episode 1.
Or...does Wesley 'Travel' back to seek some vengeance?!?

This was a deep one, what an obscure character callback.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:34 PM   #3122
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

This was a deep one, what an obscure character callback.

Sincerely so since Locarno was supposed to be Paris and the only reason that didn't go through was royalty issues with using the Locarno character.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:55 PM   #3123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sincerely so since Locarno was supposed to be Paris and the only reason that didn't go through was royalty issues with using the Locarno character.
He's obviously the 'Big Bad' for the Season Finale...which, come on, is hilarious! This obscure washout Cadet is our heinous villain?

Oh this is going to be great.

I love Lower Decks, its like, "Who can we pick that nobody will see coming?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #3124
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paris, when he was Locarno.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #3125
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I definitely did not have Nick Locarno on my bingo card of potential resolutions to the season-long mystery ship story arc. I honestly had my money on "some offshoot or evolved very of V'ger, out there collecting ships and people because reasons"; at least I was kind of half-right about the "collecting ships and people".
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #3126
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I definitely did not have Nick Locarno on my bingo card of potential resolutions to the season-long mystery ship story arc. I honestly had my money on "some offshoot or evolved very of V'ger, out there collecting ships and people because reasons"; at least I was kind of half-right about the "collecting ships and people".
I too am interested on seeing where this is going, because...as I said, Locarno? I did not see that coming.

Why is he collecting people on an otherwise deserted planet? And blowing stuff up? I had my 'Section 31 theory' which could theoretically still be valid?

Either way, what a solid season. I really hope the plans are to keep this show going. Its the 'breath of fresh air' that Star Trek so desperately needed, and that combined with the more seriousness of SNW...

Old 10-27-2023, 04:00 PM   #3127
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Paris, when he was Locarno.
I missed this...

Locke, when the Tamarian lapsed...

Old 10-27-2023, 05:59 PM   #3128
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Locarno killed the guy who made us canon. Never forget.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #3129
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

deep cut that Mariner graduated with Sito Jaxa

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:41 PM   #3130
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
deep cut that Mariner graduated with Sito Jaxa

I'm not sure I would call it a deep cut.

Sito was a pretty important character in two of the best episodes of TNG.
And the episode where she died was literally called Lower Decks.
If you're gonna call her a deep cut, then what is Lacarno?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 12:54 PM   #3131
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

It's actually a bit of a mind #### every time I'm reminded that Lower Decks is happening a year or two after Nemesis. Jaxa died about 8 years before Nemesis which means Mariner has been an officer for about a decade. Leaves me to wonder why Star Fleet keeps giving her chances. A decade of promotions and demotions.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #3132
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's actually a bit of a mind #### every time I'm reminded that Lower Decks is happening a year or two after Nemesis. Jaxa died about 8 years before Nemesis which means Mariner has been an officer for about a decade. Leaves me to wonder why Star Fleet keeps giving her chances. A decade of promotions and demotions.
Nepotism? Daddy's an Admiral and mom's a captain. Command basically forced mom to look after Mariner after years of attitude and problems.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 01:01 PM   #3133
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Nepotism? Daddy's an Admiral and mom's a captain. Command basically forced mom to look after Mariner after years of attitude and problems.

Yeah, but even her mom wasn't stoked and was looking to drum her out in season one. Being an Admiral's kid didn't save Locarno, or Paris originally if we want to stay with characters played by Robert Duncan McNeil.

Like, she's obviously a very capable officer but it seems like a stretch.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-30-2023, 01:10 PM   #3134
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to transfer Mariner to The Orville.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #3135
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but even her mom wasn't stoked and was looking to drum her out in season one. Being an Admiral's kid didn't save Locarno, or Paris originally if we want to stay with characters played by Robert Duncan McNeil.

Like, she's obviously a very capable officer but it seems like a stretch.
Guess command draws the line at an official inquiry where someone gets killed. Mariner hasn't done that yet. Though she clearly should have had some manual psyche eval/trauma counselling after her friend Sito got killed.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:30 AM   #3136
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think if you're a fan of Lower Decks, you pretty much have to be a hardcore Trekkie. So I don't feel that deep cuts exist? Like you have almost certainly watched all of TOS, TNG, DS9, and probably most of Voyager and Enterprise... multiple times.

Like the moment they mentioned Locarno, my brain went to "It'll be a play on Tom Paris" despite the fact he was a character in 1 episode that was primarily focused on f-ing Wesley from THIRTY YEARS ago.

It's what makes the show so fun. Literally decades of content you have to have in your brain to pick up the stupidest jokes.

Oh - Mariner is still in Starfleet because she's a version of Kirk. Highly capible, but a total loose cannon. When things go sideways and the rules no longer apply is when she really shines.

Also Neppo Baby.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 11:12 AM   #3137
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I think if you're a fan of Lower Decks, you pretty much have to be a hardcore Trekkie. So I don't feel that deep cuts exist? Like you have almost certainly watched all of TOS, TNG, DS9, and probably most of Voyager and Enterprise... multiple times.

Like the moment they mentioned Locarno, my brain went to "It'll be a play on Tom Paris" despite the fact he was a character in 1 episode that was primarily focused on f-ing Wesley from THIRTY YEARS ago.

It's what makes the show so fun. Literally decades of content you have to have in your brain to pick up the stupidest jokes.

Oh - Mariner is still in Starfleet because she's a version of Kirk. Highly capible, but a total loose cannon. When things go sideways and the rules no longer apply is when she really shines.

Also Neppo Baby.
I agree with most of this, you've gotta be hardcore to get most of it.

"Teach me to dance Dr. Crusher?" From Data's Day? That joke is from 1991!

Granted, I'm guessing you jumped to Locarno sooner than I did, it took my brain a bit on this one, the only reason I even really remembered Locarno is because he actually came up in a conversation not too long ago when some friends and I were discussing the Writer's Strike.

Star Trek: Voyager, pulling Hollywood shenanigans before it was cool!!

Quick and Dirty Coles notes for some of the less hardcore: Locarno = Tom Paris.

Pre-production started on Voyager, they had this all mapped out and then realized that to use the Locarno Character they'd have to pay residuals to the writers who created him each time they used him and they planned on using him a lot.

So they changed his name, dabbled with his backstory (barely) and kept right on truckin'!

If I was one of those writers I'd have been PISSED.

Mariner is actually really interesting now, friends with Jaxa? So how old is Mariner?

Its kind of like they missed an opportunity to have some Grizzled old veteran Lower Decker, like some guy in his 40s or 50s who just could never get past being an Ensign? Hard drinking, hard smoking, missing a leg or something and just BITTER.

Make it Ensign Kim, 55 years old and still an Ensign on a Cali-Class and just really, really upset about it. Constantly muttering under his breath while he mops the Holodeck...."See the Galaxy they said...Ad Astra Per Aspera they said...they dont tell you about all the mopping! My God...what have they done in here?!?"

Traipsing though the Delta Quadrant for a decade and then when he gets home Starfleet is just:

"Good job Ensign! Glad to have you home! Now...back to work!"

And thats just off the top of my head! Imagine the Comedy Gold that could be mined there!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 11:41 AM   #3138
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a show that had me excited every week, this season has been a big meh. Which is sad. Like I said, they accidentally created such an amazing season premiere they set the bar so incredibly high that it just didn't hit the rest of the way. Like, at all. I was watching the premiere and thinking to myself "and I thought they found their legs back in the fourth episode of the first season! THIS is nuts!"

Then, just meh.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #3139
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
For a show that had me excited every week, this season has been a big meh. Which is sad. Like I said, they accidentally created such an amazing season premiere they set the bar so incredibly high that it just didn't hit the rest of the way. Like, at all. I was watching the premiere and thinking to myself "and I thought they found their legs back in the fourth episode of the first season! THIS is nuts!"

Then, just meh.
You're nuts. I'll agree with that the bar was set stupid high, but I think its been a pretty solid season.

3.6 Roentgen.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:55 PM   #3140
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Mariner is actually really interesting now, friends with Jaxa? So how old is Mariner?

This is what I was talking about with the mind ####. My first thought is it means Mariner is old as bones in a closet. Then you realize that this is taking place briefly after Nemesis. So assuming she graduated from the Academy in her very early 20s, she'd be in her early 30s at the oldest.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver