Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy Blasty is back?
Yes 275 72.56%
No 104 27.44%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #1281
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
This might be something to do with age and how long someone has been a Flames fan.

The younger fan must have remembered Blasty fondly as their first Flames jersey. The older fan (like me) will remember how the Pedestal/Blasty jerseys were when our franchise took a huge nosedive, had move on from players like MacInnis, Nieuwendyk, Fleury strictly for league-wide financial reasons, etc.

Yes, Blasty was a part of the Flames resurgence with Iginla's 50 goal season and was worn a few times in the magical 2003-2004 season, but for older fans like me, we also remember the Canucks flying skate jerseys and I think that may be why we see it and you don't.

My kids like the Blasty jersey, so if they want one, I'll buy it for them. The Flames brought back the full time retros home and away, so I will likely buy myself a new Adidas away jersey. It really is a win-win situation for Flames fans.
Agreed. This thread has actually been an interesting look into how different fan groups perceive the franchise and identify with different eras and their symbols. Despite my age group mostly being fans of the horse head, my memories of the pedestal and the horse head are similar to yours. I'm kind of attributing that to how few people of my age were actually really Flames fans before the Iginla era. It was definitely a small minority in my age group that actually cheered for the Flames during the dark years and I remember well how uncool the Flames were to my peers. So, I would think probably most current Flames fans in my age group didn't feel the pain of those times because they weren't really fans yet, but when they became fans during Iginla's emergence and the '04 run they acquired positive associations with the horst head instead. The dark years were basically meaningless to them.

It also probably reflects the impact of having a long playoff run on the fan base. If the Flames had missed the playoffs that year, they probably wouldn't have captured the hearts of all those new fans and would have missed out on galvanizing the support of a whole generation of Calgarians. The '04 run was a watershed couple of months in building fans for what has mostly been a team with very mediocre achievement and some periods of real darkness in the last 30 years.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #1282
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Canucks and Germany jersey both really lean into yellow accents as well. Both their numbers and letters are yellow where the Flames have white accents all over the jersey.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:27 AM   #1283
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Instead of "Reverse Retro" (which I guess is alliterative for marketing purposes) most of these fourth unis can be better categorized as Frankensteins.... a bit of this and a recycled that.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #1284
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon53

On the Thursday season ticket holder call, John Bean said they are now top 3 in sales for the RR program.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #1285
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Somewhat unrelated, but I hear the Roughnecks are debuting all-new branding for this upcoming season.

New jerseys, updated logo.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #1286
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Somewhat unrelated, but I hear the Roughnecks are debuting all-new branding for this upcoming season.

New jerseys, updated logo.
I hope they’ve ditched the oilfield connection and finally embraced their Starship Troopers roots.

Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #1287
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I hope they’ve ditched the oilfield connection and finally embraced their Starship Troopers roots.

Spoiler!
Seems about right. The only lacrosse game I have been to is when they won the championship. It was fun.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #1288
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my email tonight. My Blasty jersey ships out tomorrow! Expected delivery is December 1st!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:02 PM   #1289
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Shmexy.

The criticism is overblown.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #1290
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Got my email tonight. My Blasty jersey ships out tomorrow! Expected delivery is December 1st!
woop woop! Did you go blank or do you have a name on the back?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #1291
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was fully against the return of Blasty.. and memories of the dark ages in Flames history. However after seeing these full uniform renderings with current players, I think they look slick.

Well done, just don't overuse them and please Calgary don't turn the Saddledome into the C of Black.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #1292
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
I was fully against the return of Blasty.. and memories of the dark ages in Flames history. However after seeing these full uniform renderings with current players, I think they look slick.
I have to agree. I think I would have used a red Flaming C & red numbers on the back, but I do like the full uniform on the players much more than I thought I would have.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #1293
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like em and will buy one.

But I like lettered jerseys, and at the $300 price tag I just find it hard to justify.

Anyone else think these Adidas jerseys are overpriced? They market them as "authentic" but I think it's the same quality as the old Reebok Edge with a dinky fight strap sewed on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #1294
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
woop woop! Did you go blank or do you have a name on the back?
I went blank
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #1295
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I really like em and will buy one.

But I like lettered jerseys, and at the $300 price tag I just find it hard to justify.

Anyone else think these Adidas jerseys are overpriced? They market them as "authentic" but I think it's the same quality as the old Reebok Edge with a dinky fight strap sewed on.
Personally I find the Adidas jerseys to be much better quality than the old Reebok Edge. And they fit nicer in my case too, much slimmer and better to wear to a game.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #1296
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
On the Thursday season ticket holder call, John Bean said they are now top 3 in sales for the RR program.
did they say who the other two were?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #1297
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Personally I find the Adidas jerseys to be much better quality than the old Reebok Edge. And they fit nicer in my case too, much slimmer and better to wear to a game.
Are we comparing apples to apples here?

The jersey types have been changed.

Old "authentic" doesn't exist anymore. Old "premier" is now "authentic". And now there is also a lower end version, the Fanattic "replica" i think it is called.

Authentics were of a much higher quality with Reebok than Adidas.

I cannot compare the old "premier" to the new "authentics" though.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #1298
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 5 year old saw me looking at Blasty and mentioned that it looked like Litten evolved:

Old 11-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #1299
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Are we comparing apples to apples here?

The jersey types have been changed.

Old "authentic" doesn't exist anymore. Old "premier" is now "authentic". And now there is also a lower end version, the Fanattic "replica" i think it is called.

Authentics were of a much higher quality with Reebok than Adidas.

I cannot compare the old "premier" to the new "authentics" though.
The old Reebok authentics were a true copy of what the players wore. They were tough and well made. The replicas (premier) were pretty flimsy.

I have an Adidas jersey with the fight strap and IMO it's no wear near as tough as the old RBK authentic was. It's better than the RBK premier, but it would fall apart on the ice IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #1300
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am holding off for a sale on the new Blasty jersey before getting one. It has to happen sometime in 2021 I am guessing.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote