Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #201
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
So, probably better to try to preorder in store then waste time online.
Okay, 1 more post before run lol.

BB looks to not allow preorders in store from their site:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/nintendoswitch.aspx

*PRE-ORDER IS AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY

I think I saw eb on twitter saying their stores would open normally for preorders (early opening or anything). I could be wrong. Somebody in the States posted a Gamestop pic of a sign saying the store would get 38 at that particular store. Who knows but good luck!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://kotaku.com/watch-the-nintendo...-he-1791159245

Treehouse event on now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #203
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've added a proper battle mode to Mario Kart 8. That some is enough to get me to double dip!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #204
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That zelda trailer.. Oh my... F
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #205
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap missed all the preorders.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #206
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have pre-ordered Zelda on Amazon, even though I was driving to work at the worst possible time today, and missed the pre-orders on the console itself.

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to pre-order the system from somewhere in the meantime. Thanks to everyone posting links! If I hadn't timed my commute so poorly, I would have been able to pounce.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #207
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I got the Amazon pre-order, but we'll see closer to launch if I keep it. I like the controllers, the portability and I haven't played any of those games they are re-packaging, so it would be all new to me. But the console price is $50 too high, the list of launch titles are disappointing, the cost of accessories are too high, and of the 5 major sports for the Americas market, we are getting the 2 I care the least about and it will be months before they are released Getting portable football and hockey games seem to be a difficult task.

Last edited by RW99; 01-13-2017 at 09:22 AM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #208
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this thing is just about as expensive as a PS4 Pro with way less power/features and way less games?
To get this and Zelda at launch would cost $480 CDN. Is it just me or is that insane compared to what their competitors have to offer?

Mario and Zelda do look great but why couldn't they have just made a fairly straightforward home console with a normal controller -- I think far more people would be on board with getting that as opposed to this mobile/motion/home console transformer thing. I feel like they've overcomplicated the device yet again.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #209
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think if I call Ebgames at 10 I can preorder from the store?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #210
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Seems like a long shot, but worth a try. Some stores open at 9:30 as well.

J-Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #211
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
So this thing is just about as expensive as a PS4 Pro with way less power/features and way less games?
To get this and Zelda at launch would cost $480 CDN. Is it just me or is that insane compared to what their competitors have to offer?

Mario and Zelda do look great but why couldn't they have just made a fairly straightforward home console with a normal controller -- I think far more people would be on board with getting that as opposed to this mobile/motion/home console transformer thing. I feel like they've overcomplicated the device yet again.
Because Nintendo's choices are to be an also ran in the "traditional" console market, or try fun and interesting things.

Worst case, it doesn't work and they remain an also ran. Best case, they strike gold. For better or for worse, being just like the other guys simply is not how Nintendo operates.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #212
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Because Nintendo's choices are to be an also ran in the "traditional" console market, or try fun and interesting things.

Worst case, it doesn't work and they remain an also ran. Best case, they strike gold. For better or for worse, being just like the other guys simply is not how Nintendo operates.

Exactly. If it were just an Xbox or PS4 competitor, I'd just stick with my Xbox...

Old 01-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #213
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

The reason I'll be getting it is simple : my kid. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch, although I did get some use out of my PS3 back in the day (and still occasionally now). I can't justify a PS4 because my time and motivation just isn't there anymore.

But to sit and play Zelda or Mario or Mario Kart with my kid will be awesome. And for him to be able to play on a road trip, on a plane, etc. will also be pretty cool. I think that Nintendo knows that they'll never go head to head with Sony and Microsoft on specs, so they've got to be different and go after a different niche.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #214
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I worked there for 4 years back in the day and this was attempted many times. They didn't do transactions over the phone and I'd be surprised if they did now.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #215
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll be sleeping on this. That's a lot of money to play the new Zelda at launch.

I'm waiting until either a price drop, or more games come out, since the launch lineup appears to be very lacking, outside of Zelda.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #216
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'll be waiting on a price drop for this. Hopefully by Christmas it'll be a lot easier on the wallet and patience to get
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #217
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I considered waiting, but Nintendo doesn't drop prices often and I figure I'll get it at some point, so many as well grab it at launch.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #218
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way it is getting a price drop by Christmas is if our dollar goes way up.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #219
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Welp, pre-ordered Mario and Zelda, but having trouble with the console... Anyone have any ideas/leads?

Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #220
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

CNET with a hands-on and a recommendation to wait. While the hardware is great, the high price and lack of games is a deal breaker for the author. No Mario until next Christmas is a mistake, imo.

https://www.cnet.com/news/i-loved-pl...inkId=33362610
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post: