Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #2321
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Anyone watching Lost in Space?

I'm on Episode 7 of a binge watch
I've only seen the first episode. Does it get better? They really lost me with the instantly freezing ice and -60 rain. Has anyone involved in show seen winter?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #2322
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think it does get a lot better.

Come on man, its an alien planet. As they say later in the series, Kepler's law doesn't apply.

Besides if you're watching Si Fi and worried about hard laws of freezing ice, your going to hate a lot of shows.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #2323
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I thought the first two were kinda dumb. Not necessarily bad, just some sloppy writing and trying to shoehorn too much into the show.

I liked 3 and 4 much better.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #2324
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Really glad to see Norm Macdonald getting his due.

This is perfect for him. He never got the praise and respect in American TV that he deserved, despite being one of the funniest comedians out there. he was poison to big networks despite his large cult following for two reasons: 1. He was reportedly hard to work with because he's exactly like he appears on TV in that he doesn't like to prepare or act seriously, but rather "riff" and make jokes (who knows if those claims are actually true). and 2. Norm will get to a punchline in 10 seconds or 10 minutes depending on how it best suites the joke.

Networks never wanted what he was because they want shows to mold actors into these perfect "made for television" rubes that follow direct character visions in cowardly, boring writing. They also want their laughs on queue that they can set to a clock. line, line, punchline, laughter line, line, punchline, laughter line, line, punchline, laughter.

So Norm went and did his own thing with his podcast, the numbers followed, then the big guests followed, then the networks (or in this case Netflix) followed saying "Okay, 1 million+ views on youtube for a handful of interviews and 500-800k for the rest? Who cares how he operates, he's a star".

Last edited by jayswin; 04-16-2018 at 03:43 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #2325
jayswin

Exp:

And those views were serious numbers that Netflix can trust because they were 1mil+ watching a full 1 hour interview, not the lame "here's a catchy headline and a three minute clip" that most shows use to get views on social media now a days.

He truly is the funniest person on the planet, imo. He can be funny at any time, anywhere, talking about anything. A skill that most comedians don't have. He can show up on David Letterman or on a morning breakfast show in a small town and just start riffing and making jokes.

90% of comedians don't have that fearlessness, instead opting to calculate and script their appearances to appear the most funny they can.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #2326
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

100% agree. Norm is tragically underrated. The guy is just the classic comedian, all about the art of the joke, and he's Canadian!

Excited for this new progrum.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #2327
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I find him kind of boring TBH.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #2328
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Norm MacDonald, but I have my doubts that this new Netflix show will work. Norm MacDonald Live worked because despite his eccentricities, Norm could get heavy-hitter comedy legends on the show. They get him and they get his humour. And they let their guard down because it was a small, niche show they did pretty much as a favour to Norm.

I don't see how the Netflix show can replicate that week in and week out. The comedy legends have already been on the podcast, so I doubt they'll come back to the Netflix show, especially since half of them are virtual recluses. So who will the guests be? If they're stars, will they be as candid as they were on the Youtube show on the far bigger platform of Netflix? Will Norm's laconic, acidic style of humour work when he's talking to starlets promoting their latest movie?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #2329
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I find him kind of boring TBH.
Jambox Bros OFF

Norm is a treasure.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #2330
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I love Norm MacDonald, but I have my doubts that this new Netflix show will work. Norm MacDonald Live worked because despite his eccentricities, Norm could get heavy-hitter comedy legends on the show. They get him and they get his humour. And they let their guard down because it was a small, niche show they did pretty much as a favour to Norm.

I don't see how the Netflix show can replicate that week in and week out. The comedy legends have already been on the podcast, so I doubt they'll come back to the Netflix show, especially since half of them are virtual recluses. So who will the guests be? If they're stars, will they be as candid as they were on the Youtube show on the far bigger platform of Netflix? Will Norm's laconic, acidic style of humour work when he's talking to starlets promoting their latest movie?
These are reasonable doubts, but two assumptions. 1. That the show will be weekly. Some of the bigger guys like Letterman are doing monthly and I could see that for Norm.

2. There's still a lot of great guests that know norm and would interact perfectly with his demeanor. He's not likely to do a talk show style circuit line-up with a bunch of up and coming reality show stars and whoever the network throws at the host.

Plus, he's done guests that didn't really know him that well like Caitlyn Jenner and he's still hilarious and able to get a good interview out of them.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #2331
jayswin

Exp:

Although, it is I guess a little unfortunate that his biggest and best guests were the episodes that got him the show and now he basically has to downgrade.

Without knowing the ins and outs and not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I actually wouldn't be surprised if Netflix had already contacted Norm about the possibility before his last A list littered season and basically said "Line up your best guests and really show us what you've got, we're thinking of making you an offer".

The sheer level of star power did throw many off compared to other seasons. Letterman, Seinfeld, Jim Carrey. These would be gold to any network show and there they were lining up for a podcast and getting millions of long form interview views. If Netflix didn't set him up for that run it was definitely enough to make any network turn in shock and make a call.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-16-2018 at 04:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #2332
jayswin

Exp:

Also, Letterman is a producer on his show on Netflix so I wouldn't be surprised if Dave himself already knew about something when he went on.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #2333
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Is Lost in Space reasonably appropriate for children? My 10 year-old is interested in it but I thought I should make sure it wasn't excessively scary or anything like that.
Nothing in that children shouldn't be watching, a bit a action/violence, some slightly scary looking animals. But I think the best aspects of the show would probably go over the head of younger kids, that's the only reason I thought it was better suited to 12 plus

Last edited by #-3; 04-16-2018 at 07:33 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #2334
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just finished season one and I thought it got very strong in the end

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #2335
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #2336
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
100% agree. Norm is tragically underrated. The guy is just the classic comedian, all about the art of the joke, and he's Canadian!

Excited for this new progrum.
I like Norm but he isn't the the least bit proud to be Canadian. Letterman asked him about it when he went on Norms show and he basically scoffed and said Canada sucks...and he wasn't trying to be funny. Turned me off a bit tbqh.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #2337
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
I like Norm but he isn't the the least bit proud to be Canadian. Letterman asked him about it when he went on Norms show and he basically scoffed and said Canada sucks...and he wasn't trying to be funny. Turned me off a bit tbqh.
Yeah, he was on Howard Stern for a long interview a few months ago. He seemed like a sexist prick.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #2338
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite Norm line ever was when he was hosting SNL a few years after getting fired from the show and said something along the lines of 'I used to be on this show, and got fired for not being funny. Now a year and a half later I'm back hosting. How did I suddenly get so funny? Then it occured to me, I didn't get funnier, the show has gotten really bad'

Last edited by btimbit; 04-19-2018 at 05:48 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #2339
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^ Yea, that was a great bit.

This is my favourite bit of Norm:

He's really a comedian's comedian. Some people will never get him or like him, but for others he's among the best ever.

As for him hating on Canada, I would read that a bit differently. He probably pokes fun, just like you might insult your little brother, but you still love them.

His podcast was very entertaining, so I bet his show will be great.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #2340
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the first three episodes of Wild Wild Country about the Rajneesh cult's move to rural Oregon and conflict with the locals. Pretty gripping stuff. I had some knowledge of how these sorts of cults work from another documentary, the Source. But the Rajneesh were/are on another level. They built a town from scratch in a couple months, employing only their own architects, planners, and labour. So weird to see so many intelligent professionals embrace this kind of bonkers community. Never occurs to them to wonder why their guru wears diamond-studded jewellery and owns 50 rolls royces.

On a personal note, as I watched the documentary I realized this was the same movement/cult that a close friend from college had talked about in the early 90s. Her dad was a senior member of Rajneesh, and her sister and brother joined too. They went to India for several months a year to live in the original ashram in Pune. My friend wasn't a member, but she did wear a watch with Osho's face on it. So bizarre.

Spoiler!

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-27-2018 at 09:22 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote