Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #141
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
And this right here is the biggest problem the Star Wars franchise has ran into with "fans".

"They didn't do exactly what I hoped they would do with the story, and got rid of extended universe stuff I liked, so now I'm a bit bitter about it."
Naw. The biggest problem is that the TLJ is objectively bad.

Rogue One was very well received by fans. So it's possible for Disney to make a good Star Wars movie. The issue is that they are clearly making Star Wars movies for separate audiences. The TLJ was aimed at family audiences. Rogue One was aimed at a more adult audience.

I think the issue Disney will run into is that the TLJ and the TFA have vastly different tones. Disney will have to choose to continue with the family orientated, no rules, vibe of TLJ or go with the darker tone of TFA. Either way, they are going to alienate a major part of their audience in the third film. They used two separate production teams, and they've ended up with a disjointed mess.

Disney seems to have recognized this, making two separate trilogies going foward one to Johnson and one to DnD.

As far as Star Wars fans go generally, the amount they pay attention to the expanded universe varies widely. I pay no attention to it whatsoever. I've never read a SW comic book or novel. I still found the TLJ awful, in the context of the other movies. There's a difference between doing "exactly what you'd hoped" and throwing everything out the window. I was fine with killing Luke and Han off, but constantly creating new power, laws of physics, technology, etc.. in an existing universe was just bad writing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #142
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Oh good, we're doing this again.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #143
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Oh good, we're doing this again.
Hey...anytime someone brings up the argument that only fanboys hate the movie, I'm going to respond.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #144
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I’m really happy with the choice of Donald Glover as Lando, but they missed out on a huge opportunity.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #145
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m more interested in this than episode 9. Kind of like that there’s no hype, keeps the expectations in line. This looks fun!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #146
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The thing i find weird is that this is out in May already then we don't have another Star Wars movie until Dec 2019? That is a long haul.
The original schedule of the Trilogy would have put the release in Dec 2018 IIRC but after delaying TLJ (they decided not to cannibalize their other spring/summer blockbusters, give it more time in post-production, realizing they could own the Christmas/New Year box office) it pushed 9 back as well. So because all the production got pushed back for 8, 9 will be pushed back as well (and they'll want it in the Christmas spot again, rather than just pushing it 6 months to the spring of 2019).

I mean, they could come up with a Christmas Special or something in 2018 to tide us over...
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #147
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The original schedule of the Trilogy would have put the release in Dec 2018 IIRC but after delaying TLJ (they decided not to cannibalize their other spring/summer blockbusters, give it more time in post-production, realizing they could own the Christmas/New Year box office) it pushed 9 back as well. So because all the production got pushed back for 8, 9 will be pushed back as well (and they'll want it in the Christmas spot again, rather than just pushing it 6 months to the spring of 2019).

I mean, they could come up with a Christmas Special or something in 2018 to tide us over...
they call it life day man, life day.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #148
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Naw. The biggest problem is that the TLJ is objectively bad.
I didn't say it was the only problem but I do think it's the biggest problem.

Overall I think the majority of people who didn't like the movie were the guys who had a bigger, and more established view of what they thought the movies should be. Not to say that they were the only people that didn't like the movie, I just think that was the biggest, and most vocal group that disliked it.

Also to be nitpicky it's not objectively bad - if that was the case then nobody would have liked it and it wouldn't have had a 91% score on RT. It's subjectively bad, it being bad is only your individual opinion of the movie and not a universal feeling.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #149
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw the trailer, looks pretty promising given all the production problems it had.

Did Chewie just put a guy's head through his chest? Pretty violent trailer
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #150
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Oh my, I was pretty jaded after TLJ. But I have goosebumps after watching that trailer.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #151
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Also to be nitpicky it's not objectively bad - if that was the case then nobody would have liked it and it wouldn't have had a 91% score on RT. It's subjectively bad, it being bad is only your individual opinion of the movie and not a universal feeling.
I've always thought that movie reviewers were very lenient on Disney since all Marvel movies get such high ratings yet, while good, they are pretty formulaic at this point. But TLJ was the first time I thought that Disney was actively buying good review scores, because there is no way that movie gets a 91% rating if it doesn't have Star Wars in the title
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #152
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 04-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #153
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

So how's your 'wait for it to come out on TV' plan coming along?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #154
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are 8 trailers now? That's gotta be close to a third of the movie. Iv'e seen one. That convinced me to watch it. I don't need to be convinced to the point that I know the plot, the jokes, and the special effects features...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #155
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

laugh, not very good.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #156
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
There are 8 trailers now? That's gotta be close to a third of the movie. Iv'e seen one. That convinced me to watch it. I don't need to be convinced to the point that I know the plot, the jokes, and the special effects features...
No, there aren't 8 trailers. There's the teaser and the main trailer, plus a bunch of tv spots (even then, I don't think there's 8 different ones). Most of the footage in each one is duplicated from the others, with maybe a couple of seconds of unique content in each one.

If you added it all up, we've probably seen less than 5 total minutes of the whole film (and if they followed Rogue One's lead, possibly even less than that).
Old 04-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #157
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol if they follow Rogue One's lead, half the trailer won't even BE in the final movie lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #158
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This, I've heard that Chewie is either not in the movie at all, or he has a cameo in the end where he cuts through a swath of storm troopers then says to Han "Duuddde my name is Kiiiiiiddd"

You see Chewie was a rap star before he was a pilot.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #159
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #160
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This, I've heard that Chewie is either not in the movie at all, or he has a cameo in the end where he cuts through a swath of storm troopers then says to Han "Duuddde my name is Kiiiiiiddd"

You see Chewie was a rap star before he was a pilot.
There is a lot of chewie in the preview before infinity War though it's hard to tell. I'm excited for this movie now. I like Heist movies and it looks fun.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote