Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #201
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is Gawin coming back?
I haven't heard what's wrong with him so hard to say. I was surprised when he didn't dress last night.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 PM   #202
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy these two teams do not like each other.

It was chippy last night I thought. Tonight it's getting nasty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #203
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's a wrap!

Back to back, dominating 5-1 wins for the Canes on home ice!

It's a best of 3 now.

We'll see if the Broncos can find new life back in their own barn on Saturday, but wow did the Canes just feed it to them. Honestly didn't see that coming.

Canes are now 8-0 on home ice in the playoffs too, out scoring their opponents 43-14.

Yeah, that's not a typo. 43-14
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #204
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Morrison has looked great. I will not be surprised if he lands a contract after this display.

Canes just keep rolling. They look fresher than the Broncos, who had 2 tough series.

I think the coaching staff deserves come credit here. Kisio has them playing like a fine watch. Player positioning is spot on. On a turnover they push it back up the ice immediately with speed. Wish the Flames would play like that!
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #205
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I haven't heard what's wrong with him so hard to say. I was surprised when he didn't dress last night.

Hes injured, the Broncos aren't going to say that àt this time of year... well because its the playoffs.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #206
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty sure it's a shoulder injury for Gaudin.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #207
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t usually see a quote like that in sports especially at this level. Skinner:
"To be honest I think we should be going home right now. Lethbridge should have swept us. The two games at home I think we got lucky... they deserved to win these two games... it's our job to figure it out or we're going to go home."

His reaction to the fans: "I'm fine with it I like when fans get on me... but I would have expected a little bit more respect for the fans. Especially after everything me and Giorgio did for them. I want to beat the fans now. I'm ready to go."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #208
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Don’t usually see a quote like that in sports especially at this level. Skinner:
"To be honest I think we should be going home right now. Lethbridge should have swept us. The two games at home I think we got lucky... they deserved to win these two games... it's our job to figure it out or we're going to go home."

His reaction to the fans: "I'm fine with it I like when fans get on me... but I would have expected a little bit more respect for the fans. Especially after everything me and Giorgio did for them. I want to beat the fans now. I'm ready to go."
The fans got to him. If many fans see that, and they will, they'll ride him harder in game 6 now!

I'm not convinced this series is going 7 games anymore.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #209
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Skinner. Dude is a beast when he's on.

He's was off a LOT this season. Maybe if he had been on more often he and Giorgio would still be Hurricanes.

Anyways, that should only add fuel to the fire for game 6 haha.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #210
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'm not convinced this series is going 7 games anymore.
Yeah, I hate getting over confident when it comes to my sports teams. They usually let me down. But Skinner was right, the Canes have been the better team the entire series and just destroyed the Broncos the last two games.

Something drastic is going to have to change or happen for them to avoid losing four straight here.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #211
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't help for sure. They also had to battle through two 7 game blood baths with two other stacked teams to get here.

The Canes mowed down a really weak Rebels team, and made short work of the Wheat Kings too. Really well rested, and honestly a better team than they get credit for.

I had a post a while ago that showed the Canes, minus one weird 8 game losing streak near the end of the season, have had a pretty elite record since the trade deadline.

They seem like a real determined bunch right now too.

Anyways, hope I'm not jinxing them. They are up 4-1 after two periods tonight.
I felt that the Hurricanes could have gone past round 3 last year, but they were too tired to keep up with Regina in the 3rd round. The Hurricanes played all 7 games in each of the first two rounds, and the series against Medicine Hat in round two was especially grueling. I knew the moment that series was over that the Hurricanes were going to have a hard time in round 3. Most specifically Tyler Wong as he was getting massive amounts of ice time. Kisio was using him heavily against Regina and you could see that he had nothing left in the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if Wong's ice time increased with each round.

So this year it is nice that the Hurricanes had an easier time in the first two rounds. Swift Current isn't exactly pushing them hard this round either in comparison to how hard the 'Canes were pushed last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #212
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love Skinner. Dude is a beast when he's on.

He's was off a LOT this season. Maybe if he had been on more often he and Giorgio would still be Hurricanes.

Anyways, that should only add fuel to the fire for game 6 haha.
Are you from Lethbridge too?

It was sad to see Skinner go, and I'm a bit concerned about goaltending for next year because Skinner could have been back next year whereas Flodell is done at the end of this season.

But Skinner... I was in the building when he scored that goal. It was awesome. My wife's co-worker couldn't use his seats so I took my boys to the game, was able to buy a seat right beside the other two, in section AA. Brayden Burke had two goals and coach Kisio made him stay out in the dying minutes with the net empty. The puck came back into the 'Canes zone and Burke was looking for a pass from Skinner, but Skinner just shot it. I was thinking, "Why dump it when Burke was wide open and ready to go?.... oh, this could go in.... the entire building just kinda stopped for a second as we all realized that the puck could go in... and then it got louder as the puck got closer and then the puck went in the net! Biggest empty net goal reaction in the history of hockey in Lethbridge! That's one hockey moment I'll never forget.

On the other hand, I was kinda glad Skinner was traded away from Lethbridge, because he's Oilers property and I don't have to feel conflicted about cheering for him!
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #213
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I felt that the Hurricanes could have gone past round 3 last year, but they were too tired to keep up with Regina in the 3rd round. The Hurricanes played all 7 games in each of the first two rounds, and the series against Medicine Hat in round two was especially grueling. I knew the moment that series was over that the Hurricanes were going to have a hard time in round 3. Most specifically Tyler Wong as he was getting massive amounts of ice time. Kisio was using him heavily against Regina and you could see that he had nothing left in the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if Wong's ice time increased with each round.

So this year it is nice that the Hurricanes had an easier time in the first two rounds. Swift Current isn't exactly pushing them hard this round either in comparison to how hard the 'Canes were pushed last year.
Yeah. Last years real boner was going down 3 games to 1 to Red Deer. That should have been Canes winning in 4 or 5 and you are right it drained them.

The Tigers were stacked last year, and in that series the Canes really rode two lines hard. So again, you are right. They were gassed for round 3. Still put up a good fight though against Regina. Even jumping out to a 3-0 early lead in game 6 before eventually losing.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #214
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wong did play a ton last year, looked like every 2nd shift at times. His SH overtime series winner againt Medicine Hat was just magical.

Canes are healthy and have had good rest this year. Nice to be on the other side of the equation.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #215
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you from Lethbridge too?

It was sad to see Skinner go, and I'm a bit concerned about goaltending for next year because Skinner could have been back next year whereas Flodell is done at the end of this season.

But Skinner... I was in the building when he scored that goal. It was awesome. My wife's co-worker couldn't use his seats so I took my boys to the game, was able to buy a seat right beside the other two, in section AA. Brayden Burke had two goals and coach Kisio made him stay out in the dying minutes with the net empty. The puck came back into the 'Canes zone and Burke was looking for a pass from Skinner, but Skinner just shot it. I was thinking, "Why dump it when Burke was wide open and ready to go?.... oh, this could go in.... the entire building just kinda stopped for a second as we all realized that the puck could go in... and then it got louder as the puck got closer and then the puck went in the net! Biggest empty net goal reaction in the history of hockey in Lethbridge! That's one hockey moment I'll never forget.

On the other hand, I was kinda glad Skinner was traded away from Lethbridge, because he's Oilers property and I don't have to feel conflicted about cheering for him!
Grew up around Lethbridge and was a Broncos fan before they moved. I was really little then. Naturally became a Canes fan when they started up. I live in the Hat now and hard to believe but can actually tolerate the Tigers now because I've been here so long. Plus my little guy loves the Tigers but when its Canes vs Tigers I'm still Canes all the way haha.

That would have been awesome to watch that Skinner goal live. It's on youtube and the play by play dude loses his ####. Its funny.

Its possible Skinner goes back to junior but I doubt it. He's plateaued here I think and the oilers should just sign him and turn him pro so I think he was gone anyways but we'll see. And yeah I was so pissed when the oilers got their stink on him haha.

Next years Canes team should be competitive again but you're right. Goaltending may be a big issue. Not a lot of faith in Klassen and that kid they drafted (Thompson?) and signed is still pretty young. I expect Vandervlis and Ross will be overages along with maybe Merezkho who would then take an import slot as well with Zudilov. If Drake is right and the CHL goes to a 4th overager as long as its a goalie maybe they can dig up a decent 20 from somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing Cotton and Boyko on next years team too. Both had really good years. Nolan Jones will probably be full time on the back end as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Wong did play a ton last year, looked like every 2nd shift at times. His SH overtime series winner againt Medicine Hat was just magical.

Canes are healthy and have had good rest this year. Nice to be on the other side of the equation.
I was sitting right behind the net when Wong scored. Was there with my son who was devastated. Never been so torn as a sports fan in my life haha.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-26-2018 at 12:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #216
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Next years Canes team should be competitive again but you're right. Goaltending may be a big issue. Not a lot of faith in Klassen and that kid they drafted (Thompson?) and signed is still pretty young. I expect Vandervlis and Ross will be overages along with maybe Merezkho who would then take an import slot as well with Zudilov. If Drake is right and the CHL goes to a 4th overager as long as its a goalie maybe they can dig up a decent 20 from somewhere.

Bryan Thomson was the one signed from the bantam draft, Carl Tetachuk is the one they signed as undrafted prospect back in March. Adam Swan played 3 or 4 games, spent his season in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League.

Carter Wickson is another one in the system. The one that probably has the most potential but is unlikely to play in the WHL is Joshua Langford. Just missed out on the USA Hockey National Team Development Program last fall, and recently committed to Maine.

Carl Stankowski should be the starter in Seattle next year if hes fully healthy after missing the year with injury. One of Liam Hughes/Dorrin Luding are unlikely to return in Seattle. Something I was thinking about reading that post.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #217
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap.

Homer series. Hopefully it stays that way until game 7.

Another 1 goal loss in Swift.

Valimaki staved off elimination with a 2 goal game though, so that's good.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #218
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol well that sucked.

Unexpected and fun run but unless you win it all the season always ends in bitter disappointment.

Skinner stole that one in the 1st. Canes outshoot them 20-2 but only manage a 1-0 lead then the Broncos bury 3 goals in a minute and a half in the 2nd and that was all she wrote.

Canes arguably the better team in 5 of 6 games but the Broncos managed to win 4 of them. Thats why they gave up so much to get Skinner so hats off to them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #219
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep it was a fun ride while it lasted. Canes look alot better going into next year with Barlage in the lineup than before the trade, and still made it to the eastern finals.

On the plus side, Valimaki has 4 points tonight, and it looks like TC should go to game 7. Edit: spoke too soon! Everett came back and scored 4 straight unanswered, win in OT 6-5.

WHL finals start on Friday.

Last edited by automaton 3; 04-30-2018 at 11:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #220
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I was certainly pullin for the Canes....too bad.

But, compared to where that franchise was even 3 years ago, its is so much better now and a very bright future ahead.