Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #1041
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Petra Kvitova -- what an inspiration. She just won Aegon Classic.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #1042
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Pospisil has qualified for Eastbourne. He's getting some good wins under his belt.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #1043
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anybody is planning to be in Winnipeg during the week of July 8 - 16, you'll have a chance to see Denis and Felix at the ATP Challenger event. Of course, if Denis wins a few matches at Wimbledon, he might be otherwise occupied.

Other Canadians participating include the following:

Polansky, Peter
Diez, Steven
Schnur, Brayden
Dancevic, Frank
Peliwo, Filip

http://www.tennis-tourtalk.com/21759...ay-at-winnipeg

Last edited by dash_pinched; 06-25-2017 at 12:56 PM.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #1044
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Roger has lost two matches this year, both to players outside the top 100, both matches in which he had match points in. Depending on how the summer swing goes, this season will have a very good case as his best ever.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #1045
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? He didn't even play the clay court season. I think it's remarkable what he's doing at his age, but to compare it to the days of yore seems pretty crazy to me. 2005-2006 Federer absolutely destroys 2017 Federer on any surface.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #1046
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So Roger has lost two matches this year, both to players outside the top 100, both matches in which he had match points in. Depending on how the summer swing goes, this season will have a very good case as his best ever.
I dunno, 2006 Fed's 92-5 record with 12 titles (3 majors and 4 masters) is basically insurmountable unless he runs the table from here out. while his 2 losses so far this season have been rust-assisted trivia questions, 4 of his 2006 losses were to Rafa and one to Murray.

the highlights for today's match are easily worth the time. it's probably his best performance since carving Rafa at Indian wells. and he almost literally broke Sasha with his signature...drop shots?

Last edited by Inglewood Jack; 06-25-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #1047
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Really? He didn't even play the clay court season. I think it's remarkable what he's doing at his age, but to compare it to the days of yore seems pretty crazy to me. 2005-2006 Federer absolutely destroys 2017 Federer on any surface.
now this, I'm not that sure about. Probably on clay for sure because young Roger had the legs and was more reliable from the baseline. but hard courts and grass, current Fed is far more aggressive, with a better serve, backhand and volley. I think that would make up for the stamina difference.

I think Kyrgios said it best earlier this season, basically that Fed is on top of you so quickly now, that there's no time to settle in and get a good rhythm. someone needs to make a computer simulation of this theoretical matchup, just to be sure. I also want 2007 Rafa vs 2017 Rafa on clay too. I think the old guy wins that one as well.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #1048
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean yes obviously by skipping clay he can't have anything close to the title haul or win count of the 2006 season. But lets also be fair, the field of 2017 on the ATP tour is much better and deeper than the 2006 field. And context always matters because it's not just his age, since he was the clear #2 player in the world in 2014 and 2015. It's that he came back from an injury that at the age he suffered it could (probably should) have been the end of him as a top player. And his all-around game is the most complete it's ever been, he might not have the stamina and power of his prime, but as Jack says the serve and backhand are at levels he never reached in his prime, and the forehand is still the fearhand. He still needs to win both majors coming in and another 1000 for it to be in his best season ever conversation, but that we're even having the conversation that it could happen is pretty surreal.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-25-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #1049
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vasek moves on in Eastbourne defeating Jiri Vesely in straight sets (6-3 6-4).

Last edited by dash_pinched; 06-26-2017 at 09:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #1050
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next up for Vasek is Joker - Yes, Novak has been in poor form (for him) lately, but it would be a major upset if Vasek were to prevail.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #1051
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's time for Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs part deux with Serena and John McEnroe in the starring roles. Would definitely be a ratings grabber.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/mcenr...700-mens-tour/
Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #1052
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah, it would. Would he still beat her? Probably, right? Anyway, his comment is right, but it misunderstands the question. I don't think "is she the best ever, no gender qualifiers" is the same as asking "would prime Serena Williams beat prime Roger Federer". No one needs to ask that.

It's relative to the context - that is, women vs. women and men vs. men, has she had the most dominant career. Or alternatively, have her career accomplishments been more impressive than Roger's. I think no, but I think there's an argument at least.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #1053
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Good (long) read about the brutality that is playing on the ITF circuit: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/s...k-stollar.html

Focuses a lot on Aleksandra Wozniak's efforts to rebuild her career again.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #1054
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

it's tough. Peliwo spent the spring in Israel where he won 5 out of 7 tournaments. How much did he make for each tournament win? $2,500.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #1055
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Good (long) read about the brutality that is playing on the ITF circuit: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/s...k-stollar.html

Focuses a lot on Aleksandra Wozniak's efforts to rebuild her career again.
Good read. Having attended a few ITF events I can say this article is pretty bang on. I skimmed a few areas, but would say one thing it did not touch on enough is the fact that many of these clubs go above and beyond to help out the players with travel, accommodations and local sponsor perks knowing that many of them are on a shoestring budget.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #1056
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another dismal effort from Genie in losing a first round match at the Aegon international event this week. She gave up a mind numbing 17 break opportunities.....17! One has to wonder if this season is the end of the road for her with the way things have been going the last 2 years.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #1057
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

end of the road? nah...there's always the ITF circuit. I hear the complimentary breakfasts at the Homewood Suites by Hilton are pretty great for getting you match ready.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #1058
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

In retrospect, maybe it would have been better for Genie not to play the French Open on a wonky ankle. She also needs to get the USTA lawsuit settled and in the rear view mirror, but that's not going to happen anytime soon apparently.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #1059
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As bad as she's been for most of this year, she's still just outside the top 60 rankings wise which pretty much sums up how bad women's tennis currently is. Still you'd pretty much have her as the underdog against anyone else in the top 300 or so. 2014 seems like a looong time ago, she'll be lucky to make another major QF ever again (or a QF at almost any event period).

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-27-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #1060
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joker defeats Vasek in straight sets (continuation of their match from yesterday that was postponed due to rain) 6-4 6-3. Vasek will join Milos and Denis in the men's draw at Wimbledon (draw should be out on Friday). Peter Polansky and Steven Diez are playing qualifiers in the hopes of making the men's draw.