Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #641
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@WojVerticalNBA:
Toronto GM Jeff Weltman has agreed to a deal to become the Orlando Magic's President of Basketball Operations, sources tell @TheVertical.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #642
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

AS much as fans in Clevland and of the Warriors love this, its going to really hurt the NBA. There's no competitive balance at all, and there won't be for a few years. Because of that, why bother watching. Its not worth watching two teams kicking other teams teeth in.

At some point whether its changing the cap structure or how teams do business, the NBA is going to have to do something.

Its not a game worth watching now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #643
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
AS much as fans in Clevland and of the Warriors love this, its going to really hurt the NBA. There's no competitive balance at all, and there won't be for a few years. Because of that, why bother watching. Its not worth watching two teams kicking other teams teeth in.

At some point whether its changing the cap structure or how teams do business, the NBA is going to have to do something.

Its not a game worth watching now.

In an insane kinda way it is. Regular season games it's almost always all offense and lot's of good games between most of the teams. Even the Cavs and Warriors beatable because they aren't playing any defense either and have off nights.

Playoffs is where it gets boring / matchups dictate everything and the defense suddenly appears as the effort levels go way up. Now the Cavs and Warriors who are matchup nightmares really turn up their games and it's so boring until they meet each other. Not much other teams can do to counter.

Funny because it's the exact opposite of NHL where the regular season is many times darn near unwatchable. The bodycheck becoming almost as obsolete as fisticuffs. Then the playoffs start and it goes from half speed to all out. All the teams have a chance because a hot goalie can beat anybody and teams can outwork other teams. Physical play goes from non-existent to a determining factor(especially with injuries). Teams with not as much skill can counter the other team.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #644
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
@WojVerticalNBA:
Toronto GM Jeff Weltman has agreed to a deal to become the Orlando Magic's President of Basketball Operations, sources tell @TheVertical.
Doesn't matter who the GM is, Masai signs off on any deal.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #645
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Doesn't matter who the GM is, Masai signs off on any deal.
Doesn't matter they can't compete in this joke of a league anyway...might as well fold the team
Old 05-22-2017, 11:24 PM   #646
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon23

The NBA needs a hard salary cap in a bad way.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #647
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

This disappoints me greatly.. hopefully the new GM will be able to change this.

Casey says he's been assured of return as Raptors coach (via http://thesco.re/theScore_App ) https://www.thescore.com/news/1307742
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #648
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The NBA needs a hard salary cap in a bad way.
That's not the problem.

The problem is when you have a sport that only plays 7-8 players, and there is a max each player can make, you end up with stars grouping.

If Lakers for example could have offered Durant 40 million a year last year, ge probably isn't a Warrior. But when everyone offers the exact same, why wouldn't they group into superteams?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #649
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Lakers would have had to offer Durant a 40% ownership share in the team to get him last summer. They are a disaster right now, and hopefully the draft Lonzo too so they can be an even more highly publicized disaster. But the Lakers (and Knicks) are the reason there will never be a hard cap. The NBA dreams of the day they can both be good again, and if you put a hard cap that ensures it'll never happen or never happen for very long. The luxury tax is extremely punitive now so I think it's pretty much fine as is.

If you took out Golden State and Cleveland, the NBA would have great parity. Unfortunately for the league until they are in decline there's no intrigue. I kinda like the idea of offering both of them the chance to skip the entire regular season next year in exchange for taking the #8 seed in the playoffs. I guarantee you Cleveland would take it. More difficult for the Warriors to do so with the West still being much more difficult. At least there'd be more intrigue.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #650
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll never happen, but I think what the NBA needs is a minutes cap on all players. Players complain that the season is too grueling as it is, and a minutes cap would help mitigate that, reduce the need for 'rest-games', and reduce injuries, but it would also force teams to go deeper into their bench. If even superstars were limited (say, about 28 minutes through first 3 quarters, no restrictions on fourth quarter and overtime), it would not only create more parity, but a better product.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #651
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I have a feeling that the Cavs are gonna take it again.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 05-26-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #652
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I have a feeling that the Cavs are gonna take it again.
I hope not.

Love watching the Splash Bros. & Durant
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #653
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won't be watching this years' finals. I don't know how the ratings are recorded, but I want no part of watching the NBA finals when these two teams had such a high chance of making it here. The NHL and MLB have a better product this year.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #654
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll basically be going full casual fan for the Finals, if the game is close in the fourth quarter I'll throw it on, but besides just the fatigue of the same matchup again (that is highly likely to be the Finals again next year), on paper this should be a sweep. I will give LeBron the respect he deserves and give the Cavs a game, but not sure why anyone thinks this will be competitve. The Cavs are unquestionably worse than last year, and the Warriors aren't as deep but are obviously much more top heavy so they are at least as good as last year and probably a bit better. Lest we forget without Draymond kicking some nuts last year would have been a 4-1 Warriors win. I'm gonna assume he won't this time, though even if he does having Durant to pick up the slack instead of Harrison Barnes kinda matters.

So Warriors in 5, unless NBAE wants to intervene and stretch this thing out, which they very well may do if the ratings for the first game or two are bad.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #655
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just what the NBA didn't need a pummeling in game one of the finals after an atrocious playoff so far.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #656
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Lebron fanboys probably see this series as a win-win situation. He wins he's the GOAT, he loses he was "up against a superteam so it wasn't a fair fight"
Old 06-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #657
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a casual basketball fan I love the idea of super teams and watching these two go head to head for as many years as possible. I was very entertained by last night's blowout.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #658
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

GSW has become the default team for Vancouver people (surprise, surprise) so I'd like for them to lose to Lebron.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #659
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's no doubt in my mind that Lebron is the best that's ever played.

And he's gonna lose again. Not his fault at all.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #660
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spurs were the only team (with a fully healthy Kawhi of course) who could have beaten the Warriors because they would have played enough defense to pull it off. Cavs don't have anywhere near enough defense to trouble the Warriors. Only drama left is whether the Warriors go 16-0.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-04-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba