Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #181
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
Picked up Le Havre, looks interesting. From the same person who created Agricola I believe.
I almost bought Agricola yesterday (grabbed Pandemic and Lost Cities instead) - have you tried it? I hear it's amazing - #2 on boardgamegeek.com - but can put off some people because of the complexity?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #182
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I almost bought Agricola yesterday (grabbed Pandemic and Lost Cities instead) - have you tried it? I hear it's amazing - #2 on boardgamegeek.com - but can put off some people because of the complexity?
I don't like Agricola too much. It is pretty fun, but there is almost no player interaction. The box says you can play with 1-5 players. 1 player! If you are into solitaire and want to sit with other people who are playing the same solitaire game, Agricola is the absolute best.

Uwe Rosenberg designed La Havre, which I have been dying to try, Agricola, and Bohnanza. Bohnanza is a really fun lightweight card game. I suggest you try it as well as Agricola. I've not played any of his less popular games.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #183
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
This is a cool game for the programmers out there. Basically get cards and you have to create a program with those cards to move your robot to different waypoints. There are certain complications thrown in that can inhibit your movement or how your program executes.

Yeah, Roborally is awesome, it's got really fun gameplay. I've only played it a couple times, but I'd love to pick up a copy of it... I think it was out of production for a few years, but seems to be available again.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #184
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

We played Pandemic with a couple friends tonight for the first time and the game was a real hit. We didn't win but still had a great time trying to come up with a strategy that would work.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #185
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
We played Pandemic with a couple friends tonight for the first time and the game was a real hit. We didn't win but still had a great time trying to come up with a strategy that would work.
If Agricola is competitive solitaire, Pandemic is co-operative solitaire.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #186
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I've only played it once. How is the balance between the different wonders?
The Wonders are really quite a small part of the game and they're balanced well. The real difference with them is that some are simpler and some are more dependant on how your opponents play and luck than others.

Generally speaking, 7th Wonder is an excellently balanced game.

There are several main strategies to collect points (armies, gold, buildings, sciences, guilds, wonders), each of which can be winning strategy, and almost any combination of them can work. Every card can be good or useless depending on your situation, and the "better" cards are properly more expensive.

The game has been a pretty universal hit among my friends.

Pandemia is fun. As to co-operative solitaire, couldn't you basicly say that about any co-operative game?

Agricola is a weird one. I've had really fun games and really frustrating and boring games.

The only problem with Robo Rally is that it tends to take long and requires a lot of players for any notable amount of player interaction to happen. Otherwise it's fun.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #187
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Pandemia is fun. As to co-operative solitaire, couldn't you basicly say that about any co-operative game?
You could probably say it about any co-operative game that doesn't restrict the information you can share with your partners and that doesn't have a skill element. I can't think of any board games like this, but bridge despite not being purely co-op reflects the first idea, Left 4 Dead and other video games reflect the second. Whereas, in Pandemic, if you're a weak player the other players simply tell you what to do, or if you wanted you could play as all the players and it wouldn't affect the gameplay.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #188
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Whereas, in Pandemic, if you're a weak player the other players simply tell you what to do,
I can see what you're saying but I think the fun of the game came from the group dynamic of everyone contributing to a common goal. Maybe because we we're all learning the game together we didn't have one person who was telling people what to do; but I also don't really have friends who wouldn't let people contribute to the game when it's their turn.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #189
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I Agree. I can't play Pandemic anymore because we always end up with one person controlling everyone's turn. Most cooperative games have this problem. It's too bad because I loved Pandemic the first two or three times I played.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #190
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I Agree. I can't play Pandemic anymore because we always end up with one person controlling everyone's turn. Most cooperative games have this problem. It's too bad because I loved Pandemic the first two or three times I played.
I hope that's not the case for us - I wonder if there are some subtle rule changes you could make to ensure that doesn't happen. Limit some information sharing. I guess I hope the people I play with are strong enough in their opinion to play the character how they want.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #191
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Ticket to Ride is pretty sweet!

Make sure you play with that one person who's sole purpose is not to win the game but to completely ruin everybody else's experience to the best of their ability to maximize hilarity.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #192
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We have Pandemic and love it. I can see how someone who has a strong personality might control too much, hence taking the fun out of it. 5 pandemic cards is a great challenge, 6 is insane.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #193
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Does anyone else play Earth Reborn? What a beaut.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #194
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

The family's been playing Finca lately. It's a pretty light game like Ticket to Ride, but maybe a little simpler since my 5 year old is able to play, while he still struggles a bit with T2R.

Fun game, good for people that aren't that serious about games.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #195
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't like Agricola too much. It is pretty fun, but there is almost no player interaction. The box says you can play with 1-5 players. 1 player! If you are into solitaire and want to sit with other people who are playing the same solitaire game, Agricola is the absolute best.

Uwe Rosenberg designed La Havre, which I have been dying to try, Agricola, and Bohnanza. Bohnanza is a really fun lightweight card game. I suggest you try it as well as Agricola. I've not played any of his less popular games.

Agricola with the more advanced occupations and such is way more interactive than with the basic cards.

Played Stone Age the other day. Similar to Agricola, a little more interactive though. I recommend it

As far as co-op games go, the best co-op games are the ones with a secret "mole." I think there's a Game of Thrones themed game that falls into that category and a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #196
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
Agricola with the more advanced occupations and such is way more interactive than with the basic cards.

Played Stone Age the other day. Similar to Agricola, a little more interactive though. I recommend it

As far as co-op games go, the best co-op games are the ones with a secret "mole." I think there's a Game of Thrones themed game that falls into that category and a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head.
Ae you thinking of Shadows over Camelot?
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #197
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post

Thanks. Ill try the more advanced occupation cards next time in Agricola.

I like Stone Age. It's also a worker placement game but your decisions influence each other a bit more. It will never be one of my favourite games but I have never had a bad experience playing it. As an added bonus, Stone age offers the expansion with the most hilarious translation from German - 'Stone Age: Style is the Goal.'
Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #198
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I really enjoy Bohnanza. It's fun, and pretty easy for kids to understand the game play. Sure beats playing "Snakes and Ladders" or "Sorry" for games with the kids.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #199
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Ticket to Ride just came out on Steam (PC version of the game)... it's tempting me.

Last edited by SebC; 05-28-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #200
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote