Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The Blue Jays Should Rebuild

Interesting article.

Agree, disagree?
While I appreciate the idea and remember that before the Jays went out and grabbed Price and Tulo last year many, including me, were thinking that it was time to start offering older guys up for sale, I don't think i have ever seen a team other than the Florida Marlins rebuild/fire sale the team after successful years in the playoffs.

Rebuilds tend to happen when the team poops the bed.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #42
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
While I appreciate the idea and remember that before the Jays went out and grabbed Price and Tulo last year many, including me, were thinking that it was time to start offering older guys up for sale, I don't think i have ever seen a team other than the Florida Marlins rebuild/fire sale the team after successful years in the playoffs.

Rebuilds tend to happen when the team poops the bed.
Yeap. I don't think the Jays should rebuild this off season.

Not with the pitching staff they have, especially the starting rotation.

They have one of the best rotations in the league. Plus the cost of that rotation and their 3 best relievers will come in at about $50 million or less. Pretty good bargain for what they are getting there.

What they need to do IMO is retool the position players around Donaldson, Tulo, Martin and Travis. I'd also add EE to that list if they can come to an agreement.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #43
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think it is time to move on from Jose no matter what you can sign him for.
Put the ball club in the hands of the new leadership group - led by JD.

Jose's ego will not allow him to accept the reduced role that he needs to - particularly in Toronto.
Jose proved that he is not what this teams needs moving forward in the ALCS this year. At times, he looked like he was turning the corner the last month or so but he continually fell victim to trying to do things he simply no longer can do.

The last thing this teams needs is an overpriced 100 game per year DH that can't do much more than bat in the low 200's and draw the odd walk. Put that money to better use and bring in some versatile fielders that have the potential to break out in full time roles.

If you can sign EE for something less than insanity your money would be much better spent provided Jose is gone. This team can compete for another year or two with the infield and starting pitching depth it has. No need to through in the towel because one, maybe two guys walk.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 10-20-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #44
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_flatus View Post
jose proved that he is not what this teams needs moving forward in the alcs this year. At times, he looked like he was turning the corner the last month or so but he continually fell victim to trying to do things he simply no longer can do.

The last thing this teams needs is an overpriced 100 game per year dh that can't do much more than bat in the low 200's and draw the odd walk. put that money to better use and bring in some versatile fielders that have the potential to break out in full time roles.

if you can sign ee for something less than insanity your money would be much better spent provided jose is gone. This team can compete for another year or two with the infield and starting pitching depth it has. No need to through in the towel because one, maybe two guys walk.
puig!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #45
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Blue Jays Should Rebuild

Interesting article.

Agree, disagree?
Disagree,

Jays have the pitching in place to contend.

Position players are the problem, I would think this is something they can address in the off-season.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #46
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #47
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, I'd rather have to address the field than the rotation.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #48
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would sure be nice if Pompey could take the bull by the horns next season.

He gives you some youth, speed, above average defense and switch hits.

If he could just be an average bat with a low K rate he'd really fill a need nice and cheap from within.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #49
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still wondering how Smoak got extended.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #50
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
When the Jays have 3 first round picks this year from losing Bautista and EE they will be on the way.

Then Estrada after next year (or at the deadline) then Donaldson asking for a trade/letting them know he will not be signing with them.

The article seems to think Donaldson will sit around in his prime if the team tears down their lineup.... Ummm Not going to happen!

Don't worry the rebuild is coming! Best case is one more run at the playoffs next year

(Yes overly pessimistic but a real scenario possibility)

Would help if we had developed a hitter in the last 20 years since Vernon Wells!
Just curious, what impact do first round picks have in baseball? I seem to hear a whole lot less about players' draft pedigree in baseball than I do in other sports.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #51
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Shapiro and Atkins have been pretty crafty at getting veteran guys who aren't performing in their current situation and changing the scenery while getting the other club to pick up a fair bit of salary.

I might look for them to maybe cobble together something like the 2013 Red Sox team was to try and make a run at it next year, knowing that an overhaul is going to have to follow up. I think they'll focus on veterans who are struggling to fill gaps and attempt to start getting some real home grown position players in the pipeline.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #52
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of ripping on AA recently and really hyping up Atkins and ShaPIro. I'm not going to rip on AA at all. The only two prospects he should've held onto in hindsight were Syndergaard and maybe Daniel Norris. And that was in hindsight. Every other deal where he gave up prospects, they didn't pan out. At the time there weren't that great prospects anyway, and we almost all agreed that the Jays came out winners.

Atkins and Shapiro made some very good deals for their relief and starting pitching staff, that's for sure. But look at the batters they've brought in. Those haven't gained me any confidence in their abilities yet. I really want to see what their busy off-season does before proclaiming them better than AA, because they haven't shown that as Jays execs yet.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #53
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even Thor they said the Mets completely changed his delivery so good chance he doesn't become what he is with the Jays
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #54
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It would sure be nice if Pompey could take the bull by the horns next season.

He gives you some youth, speed, above average defense and switch hits.

If he could just be an average bat with a low K rate he'd really fill a need nice and cheap from within.
I don't think Pompey is ever going to amount to much. If he wasn't Canadian he'd just be another bubble AAA guy.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #55
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
A lot of ripping on AA recently and really hyping up Atkins and ShaPIro. I'm not going to rip on AA at all. The only two prospects he should've held onto in hindsight were Syndergaard and maybe Daniel Norris. And that was in hindsight. Every other deal where he gave up prospects, they didn't pan out. At the time there weren't that great prospects anyway, and we almost all agreed that the Jays came out winners.

Atkins and Shapiro made some very good deals for their relief and starting pitching staff, that's for sure. But look at the batters they've brought in. Those haven't gained me any confidence in their abilities yet. I really want to see what their busy off-season does before proclaiming them better than AA, because they haven't shown that as Jays execs yet.
He traded so many prospects he was bound to get burned at some point. It isn't a positive that only a few made the Jays look bad, it was an inevitability.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 PM   #56
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Josh Reddick checks off a bunch of boxes. Bats left, plays RF and has some speed and pop.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #57
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Just curious, what impact do first round picks have in baseball?
Not much, most of them bust. It's not like the other sports... a first round pick isn't even a good bet to be a career major leaguer. It's one of the reasons you so rarely see a scorched earth rebuild in MLB.
Parallex is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #58
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Josh Reddick checks off a bunch of boxes. Bats left, plays RF and has some speed and pop.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
He's also good friends with Donaldson.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #59
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Not much, most of them bust. It's not like the other sports... a first round pick isn't even a good bet to be a career major leaguer. It's one of the reasons you so rarely see a scorched earth rebuild in MLB.
http://www.fangraphs.com/community/s...picks-by-slot/
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #60
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I take the 2017 year to make another run. As Jays fans know all too well, teams can go into lengthy funks, so when the chance is there you grab it. Go all in!

Moves:

Add two of Reddick/Bruce/Puig - Defense probably takes a hit, but you would still have Upton and Carrera to platoon/defensive replacement.

Say no to Chapmen, but sign a good reliever, someone with a chance to be a Miller lite. I am not sure who out there would fit that category. Failing that, get a few relievers that have been good in the past but had down years. Relievers are so volatile you are better to bank on the past then just one good last season.

If the Reds are willing to move Votto - do the damn deal! Either they pay some salary and they send prospects or the Jays just eat the salary (seeming more likely now that they will spend) and only have to trade C level guys.

Roll with the rotation as is and sign a couple depth guys that can be swing men or pitch in AAA, can never have too much starting pitching.