Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #201
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that I never felt quite sure about was the rule of the road for the single lane bridges. I get that the first one to the bridge goes first, but occasionally I would see a whole swath of cars going across while vehicles waited on the other side. Is the rule supposed to be that whichever side is currently crossing, everybody goes until that side is finished?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #202
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
One thing that I never felt quite sure about was the rule of the road for the single lane bridges. I get that the first one to the bridge goes first, but occasionally I would see a whole swath of cars going across while vehicles waited on the other side. Is the rule supposed to be that whichever side is currently crossing, everybody goes until that side is finished?

Yeah typically if there is a number of cars waiting on the other side, when its clear they all go together, more efficient that way.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #203
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post

I would definitely go back to photograph more of the amazing landscapes but would visit a more remote part of the country to try and get away from the crowds.
While the city itself is great, the farther you get away from Reyjkavik, the better. The Golden Circle is bus-tourist hell...no better than going to Lake Louise or the Grand Canyon. As soon as you get away from the day-trip range though, things calm down and become much more enjoyable. I personally enjoyed the Lake Myvatn and Eastern Iceland area the most.

Last edited by Table 5; 07-22-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #204
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah typically if there is a number of cars waiting on the other side, when its clear they all go together, more efficient that way.
It's the one thing that Iceland really needs to upgrade ASAP. Even if they don't twin the bridges, they need to at least put in some signal lights or something. I know the locals know what they are doing, but Iceland is a victim of its own success in some ways, and needs to upgrade the infrastructure to handle it.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #205
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It's the one thing that Iceland really needs to upgrade ASAP. Even if they don't twin the bridges, they need to at least put in some signal lights or something. I know the locals know what they are doing, but Iceland is a victim of its own success in some ways, and needs to upgrade the infrastructure to handle it.

Ooooh yeah, we are ridiculously behind on all infrastructure! The very frustrating thing is many of these areas people visit are on private land, there is no real national park system and park fee's. We have been pushing our goverments since 2010 to put a tourist fee on all visitors to Iceland, say like 20 Eu that goes only to upkeep and upgrades to our tourist areas, its sadly not happening yet and the attempts to even get real discussion on forming a national park system never gets off the ground because many of these landowners are very wealthy and powerful people who influence the major political parties.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #206
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Ooooh yeah, we are ridiculously behind on all infrastructure! The very frustrating thing is many of these areas people visit are on private land, there is no real national park system and park fee's. We have been pushing our goverments since 2010 to put a tourist fee on all visitors to Iceland, say like 20 Eu that goes only to upkeep and upgrades to our tourist areas, its sadly not happening yet and the attempts to even get real discussion on forming a national park system never gets off the ground because many of these landowners are very wealthy and powerful people who influence the major political parties.
I found the roads in Iceland quite good compared to Norway. Most of the roads we drove on that were 2 way and were 1.5 lanes at best with no shoulder. There were also a lot of two way roads, including to many popular tourist places (Stegastein lookout) that were only 1 lane with pullover spots every once in a while. Not exactly fun when they are extremely twisty and you are meeting tour buses and RVs.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #207
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
While the city itself is great, the farther you get away from Reyjkavik, the better. The Golden Circle is bus-tourist hell...no better than going to Lake Louise or the Grand Canyon. As soon as you get away from the day-trip range though, things calm down and become much more enjoyable. I personally enjoyed the Lake Myvatn and Eastern Iceland area the most.
I spent the first 3 nights about 40 mins south of the city just outside Hveragerdi. Was down as far as Vik. Found the road and sites very busy down that way. Planned on doing the Golden circle but decided against it. Last day/night spent in the capital. Reykjavik had a cool vibe. Lots of nice restaurants and cafes.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote