Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Front Drive Garage vs Laned home

I'm currently looking at moving and my question is:

What is better in everyone's opinion, a front drive garage or a laned home (besides Re-sale value)
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Older or newer area? Typically the newer areas involve different price brackets for laned or attached which makes it very easy to decide!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

^^ I am in the midst of working with different clients on new builds / spec homes in Mahogany where you have the town homes - side by sides - laned homes - attached garages - estate
Every time you move up the scale, the price increases as well!
The advantage of a non attached is it allows you to save even more money by not immediately building the garage through the developer!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

looking at both older and newer areas. Cranston for the new builds probably, and let say the areas of Bonavista, Deer run, douglusglen/dale, mckenzie lake, mctowne, and anything in those general areas for older communities. Currently in Prestwick now.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just drove through the new area of Cranston yesterday, those lane homes, while they look nice, seem to be on quite a busy street. Would have to be quite a bit lower price point to convince me but I'm not someone who's looking for a home right now anyways so what do I know.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Not considering resale values, it's going to depend on your use of the garage.
Using it to store some household goods? Pro to the attached for convienence.
Going to end up heating it? Pro to the attached as the gas line would be shorter aka cheaper (also less exterior exposure).
Want to work inside of it and/or make noise? Pro to the laned/detached garage.
Want more backyard than front yard? Pro to the attached (in most cases).
Want more (or even some) street parking? Pro to the laned/detached.

I personally went with the laned/detached garage as I use it as a shop. If I didn't, I'd go with an attached as I always found it more convienent (forgetting a tool in the garage is a PITA in the winter).
Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Another consideration is the size of the garage. My garage backing onto my back lane is 23x24. Many of my neighbours have similar sized garages or even bigger. However I have only ever seen one attached garage that big; most are 20x20 or maybe 20x22. May sound like a minor difference, but the interior square footage difference is huge. Once you take 1 foot off for the walls, interior I have 506 sq feet and a 20x22 would have 399 sq feet. That 25% extra allows me to park a truck (as well as a car), have room for tools and storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other considerations are garbage/recycling. With a lane all that stuff sits out back (a pro and a con - some neighbours never bring it in or move it against the fence and it needs to be dodged).

A back lane also means public access. I've seen neighbourhood kids cutting across properties as short cuts rather than go around the block. Not a huge deal if they would remember to close gates and not litter. I also have neighbours parking behind their fence who wouldn't shove a path through their yard (ever) and just used my yard.

So if you have inconsiderate neighbours then the extra access can be a pita.

My next place I do not want a back lane.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my neighbourhood a front garage means a bigger back yard. That's reason enough for me to have bought a house with a front garage.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

In winter do you want to walk outsied to your car every morning?

Also an attached garage with a bonus room above will stay relatively warm (around freezing most days) in winter so heating isnt as neccessary as a non attached gargae which will just be ambient temperature.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I will be moving from a laned garage to a attached garage next week. I never really had issues with walking outside to my car, regardless of the weather. Maybe I will appreciate not having that when I actually move.

There are a number of things that I am looking forward to though with the attached garage:
- my back lane is quite narrow and it isn't that easy getting in and out of my garage
- bottle pickers love to walk up and down the alley searching for bottles in blue bins
- back lane is not paved and can get quite mucky when there is rain

Last edited by red sky; 06-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Another consideration is the size of the garage. My garage backing onto my back lane is 23x24. Many of my neighbours have similar sized garages or even bigger. However I have only ever seen one attached garage that big; most are 20x20 or maybe 20x22. May sound like a minor difference, but the interior square footage difference is huge. Once you take 1 foot off for the walls, interior I have 506 sq feet and a 20x22 would have 399 sq feet. That 25% extra allows me to park a truck (as well as a car), have room for tools and storage.
A lot of lots in new communities are not large enough for a garage that size. Just make sure you get one that is if you are planning on the large garage. I know my garage spans the entire width of my property and is only the "standard" 20 x 22.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe a city rule is garage and house can not exceed 45% of your total lot
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Also an attached garage with a bonus room above will stay relatively warm (around freezing most days) in winter so heating isnt as neccessary as a non attached gargae which will just be ambient temperature.
Last year I decided to try going without heating my detached garage. It is insulated and has vapour barrier. Just from the heat coming off the cars as well as some heat from the fridge the garage stayed above 0 all winter. A few times I ran the heat for a couple of hours during a major cold snap, but that was about it.

I would think that if there is enough heat escaping from your house into an attached garage, you might have an insulation issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i used to live in prestwick and moved to new brighton - my only thought on the rear back lane, is that it becomes more of a garbage dump than it should. people chuck out large things and they sit there for longer than they should.