Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2013-14 WHL Season

Season kicks off tonight.

For those that haven't tracked player movement in the off-season, here is a solid season preview team-by-team:

http://www.whl.ca/article/2013-14-wh...erence-preview

http://www.whl.ca/article/2013-14-wh...erence-preview

Here is a great chart that shows the age charts of all teams:

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/2013...breakdown.html

The pre-season CHL top 10 rankings include the following WHL teams:

Prince Albert
Edmonton
Kootenay
Portland
Kelowna

The east seems wide open this year. The top teams in the west will almost certainly be Kelowna and Portland again this year.

Let the puck drop!
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Go Canes Go
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking forward to this season... you going to either of the home and home this weekend RJ? Whats the scoop with the Blazers 20 year olds - any hope of Smith or Lipon coming back?

Myles Bell got returned to Kelowna earlier today for his 20 year old season. Huge news for the Rockets. The only bad part is they have four very good 20 year olds. Will be interesting to see who gets moved. You'd think they'd keep their top two scorers from last season Bell and Franko - leaves Mackenzie Johnston a big strong puck all around defenceman and Jordon Cooke to pick between, Cooke was last year's starting goaltender but got outplayed by the young backup Whistle in the regular season and they have a couple good goalie prospects. Johnston really became a rock on d last year and picked up a fair few points without much powerplay time.... going to be a tough call, they should get a pretty good return on either player though.

Rockets have everybody back now except Damon Severson, was a little afraid New Jersey was going to keep him but heard he played pretty badly in their exhibition game tonight. Don't want to see the kid do bad but this could be the Rockets year, hope he gets sent back.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Drive by on the Oil Kings... they've been good for a long time but I can't believe they are ranked in the top 10 in the CHL.

They've lost 4/6 of their top scorers, Lowe and Musil from their blueline and Brossoit.

To make matters worse Reinhart is going to be close to making the Isles and Lazar is getting a long look. If they lose one or both of those two forget top 10 in the CHL they might not make the playoffs.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
king_amonte
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looking forward to hitting up the Canes/Tigers game tomorrow night! Love the new staff in Lethbridge and think they turn the corner this season!
Lets Retire #10....not Roberts.....Amonte
king_amonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Looking forward to this season... you going to either of the home and home this weekend RJ? Whats the scoop with the Blazers 20 year olds - any hope of Smith or Lipon coming back?

Myles Bell got returned to Kelowna earlier today for his 20 year old season. Huge news for the Rockets. The only bad part is they have four very good 20 year olds. Will be interesting to see who gets moved. You'd think they'd keep their top two scorers from last season Bell and Franko - leaves Mackenzie Johnston a big strong puck all around defenceman and Jordon Cooke to pick between, Cooke was last year's starting goaltender but got outplayed by the young backup Whistle in the regular season and they have a couple good goalie prospects. Johnston really became a rock on d last year and picked up a fair few points without much powerplay time.... going to be a tough call, they should get a pretty good return on either player though.

Rockets have everybody back now except Damon Severson, was a little afraid New Jersey was going to keep him but heard he played pretty badly in their exhibition game tonight. Don't want to see the kid do bad but this could be the Rockets year, hope he gets sent back.
Probably not going up to Kamloops on Friday, but will be at Prospera on Saturday. Come say hello if you will be there.

The Blazers won't get Smith or Lipon back - they aren't expecting to anyway. It's going to be a re-building year as they traded Cole Cheveldave to PA as well. They have a few nice young pieces though so they won't languish in the basement forever. Tim Bozon will lead their team this year.

As for Kelowna, wonderful news to get Bell back - he could lead the WHL in scoring this year with 100+ points. They'll get Severson back too as he can't go to the AHL - and don't be surprised if he becomes the next great defenseman to come out of the Rockets blueline factory - he has greater offensive upside and numbers at this age than Shea Weber, Josh Gorges or Tyler Myers did.

Mackenzie Johnston will be the odd man out. He's struggled this pre-season and frankly with Bowey, Lees, Wheaton, Martin, Severson, and Martin/Stadel/Yorke/Gatenby on the blueline already there's no room for him.

Frankly in a perfect world the Rockets should trade both Johnston and Jordon Cooke. Cooke is frankly a bit overrated - has great numbers but he's a product of the system and lets in soft goals at crucial times. Whistle has proved he's just as good and two years younger. Johnston should be dealt/released and Cooke dealt for a high draft choice. Then go out and snatch a top 20-year old forward when the Oct 15 overage deadline passes. The Rockets will need another top scorer to win the Memorial Cup this year.

In tonights news, Speedy Creek hammers Regina 7-2. Flames prospect Coda Gordon had three points and first star of the game. Morgan Klimchuk unfortunately was pointless and -2.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Drive by on the Oil Kings... they've been good for a long time but I can't believe they are ranked in the top 10 in the CHL.

They've lost 4/6 of their top scorers, Lowe and Musil from their blueline and Brossoit.

To make matters worse Reinhart is going to be close to making the Isles and Lazar is getting a long look. If they lose one or both of those two forget top 10 in the CHL they might not make the playoffs.
I wouldn't go that far. Saskatoon will be a disaster this year, and you can't really count on Lethbridge for anything, so Edmonton really has to beat out only two other teams to make the playoffs. Even with their losses, easily doable.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I was under the impression that great things were expected of the Hitmen this year....no?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_amonte View Post
Looking forward to hitting up the Canes/Tigers game tomorrow night! Love the new staff in Lethbridge and think they turn the corner this season!
I'm looking forward to it too. They should have enough to make the playoffs this year
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Saskatoon will be a disaster this year, and you can't really count on Lethbridge for anything, so Edmonton really has to beat out only two other teams to make the playoffs. Even with their losses, easily doable.
With the current board/hockey staff you can count on the Hurricanes sucking .
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

The east seems wide open this year. The top teams in the west will almost certainly be Kelowna and Portland again this year.
I don't think the East is wide open at all. The Hitmen should win the central division and likely the conference. PA will be a solid team but there will be a little drop after that. The next group of teams will likely be Edmonton and RD.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got tickets to the Rebels' opening night on Saturday.

My kids have been looking forward to this for weeks.

WHL is a great deal and good hockey.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm planning on getting tickets to Seattle at Portland next weekend, and I'm excited about the move to Portland later this year. WHL hockey is great value, and a great time!

Go Hawks!
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Probably not going up to Kamloops on Friday, but will be at Prospera on Saturday. Come say hello if you will be there.
Will be getting my hockey fix mainly on tv this winter if at all, first kid is coming in a couple months. Hopefully can find a way to make a few games, really want to see the team they've built this year. Being a flames, jays and canadian soccer fan i don't get to follow too many winning teams in recent years!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edmonton hammers Calgary 7-3.

The Hitmen are not likely to be a top team this year. They've lost a lot from last years team. East seems wide open in that there's no one clear cut top dog but it isn't likely to be the Hitmen. Probably the Raiders.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Edmonton hammers Calgary 7-3.

The Hitmen are not likely to be a top team this year. They've lost a lot from last years team. East seems wide open in that there's no one clear cut top dog but it isn't likely to be the Hitmen. Probably the Raiders.
Interesting as you are the only person, I know of, who isn't really expecting big things from the Hitmen. I would be very surprised if the Hitmen didn't finish first or second in the conference.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickered Flame View Post
Interesting as you are the only person, I know of, who isn't really expecting big things from the Hitmen. I would be very surprised if the Hitmen didn't finish first or second in the conference.
5 WHL teams are mentioned ahead of them in the CHL top 10 rankings. 3 of them in the East.

Perhaps people in Calgary have high hopes for them but they aren't considered the favourite in the East, at least not yet.

Time will tell. It's feasible to think Kootenay, PA, Edmonton and Red Deer could all finish in front of Calgary taking away their home ice advantage in round 1.

However thats the beauty of the WHL, they are just kids so its tough to make any projections in advance. Results tend to vary wildly.

Can't be an encouraging first game though. Expected goaltending to be the one strong suit of the Hitmen this year, didn't get off to a good start there.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
5 WHL teams are mentioned ahead of them in the CHL top 10 rankings. 3 of them in the East.

Perhaps people in Calgary have high hopes for them but they aren't considered the favourite in the East, at least not yet.

Time will tell. It's feasible to think Kootenay, PA, Edmonton and Red Deer could all finish in front of Calgary taking away their home ice advantage in round 1.

However thats the beauty of the WHL, they are just kids so its tough to make any projections in advance. Results tend to vary wildly.

Can't be an encouraging first game though. Expected goaltending to be the one strong suit of the Hitmen this year, didn't get off to a good start there.
The first couple of rankings usually mean nothing. The Hitmen are returning 10 forwards, one less if Brassart sticks in the AHL, unlikely, they are also returning 5 defensemen and both goalies. As for last night, they took a lot of selfish penalties and admitted afterwards that they were more concerned about sending a physical statement to the team that knocked them out last year.

Kootenay and Red Deer have major holes in their lineup, PA is going to be a top 2 team because of the weak division they play in so I will give you that one, Edmonton is the only other team that could finish ahead of the Hitmen. Again, I'd be extremely surprised if they were not 1-2 in the East at the end of the year.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from the Rebels' home opener. 6-3 win, good game. They went down 2-0 in the first 10 mins, and fought back.

Don't follow the league super close, so I am not sure of the expectations placed on them.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

What in the hell are those jersey's the Oil Kings are wearing?
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hockey , memorial cup , rockets , whl