Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #1901
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I definitely see it being viable with the right level of support. Subsidization to start, and then let market interest and reputation dictate it from there. Government could help find a big space and subsidize micro-leases.

Also, what has been the big thing missing in downtown Calgary? A grocery store, or anywhere to buy groceries before you go home.

Keep in mind, Stephen Avenue is a major artery in the downtown area for pedestrian traffic; Eau Claire is not. This is in addition to the increase of densification of residential condos (East Village is still being built) and the upcoming retro-fitting of office space to residential space.

This would not be the same experiment as Eau Claire IMO. And you have to give reason for pedestrians to want to come back. The last thing Calgary needs is more ground-level office space. And Stephen Avenue certainly doesn't need more benches and tables. A real facelift is necessary, and one that gets people into the area for buying essentials - a can't miss place.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #1902
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I definitely see it being viable with the right level of support. Subsidization to start, and then let market interest and reputation dictate it from there. Government could help find a big space and subsidize micro-leases.

Also, what has been the big thing missing in downtown Calgary? A grocery store, or anywhere to buy groceries before you go home.

Keep in mind, Stephen Avenue is a major artery in the downtown area for pedestrian traffic; Eau Claire is not. This is in addition to the increase of densification of residential condos (East Village is still being built) and the upcoming retro-fitting of office space to residential space.

This would not be the same experiment as Eau Claire IMO. And you have to give reason for pedestrians to want to come back. The last thing Calgary needs is more ground-level office space. And Stephen Avenue certainly doesn't need more benches and tables. A real facelift is necessary, and one that gets people into the area for buying essentials - a can't miss place.
I'm not against the idea, I just don't think it's possible. Municipal subsidy of commercial space for small business to happen. When has that be done successfully before in Calgary?

I live downtown. I work downtown. I've been a small business owner downtown. This is my neighborhood. I just don't see it being possible knowing the realities of the commercial and residential aspects of the area. A convenience higher-end near-prepped market like Sunterra will work. A farmers market with raw foods or a place to get amenities (besides Dollarama/LD) won't because it's still a commuter town and most of the new condos are still very far away from the core Stephen Avenue area.

I've love some of the things from the "Things You Miss About Calgary" thread to be back as well like the eclectic shops, music stores, etc. but that's not happening either. It'd definitely be nice to have something more than just more bars and restaurants (of which, whole stretches sit empty in the past year due to the recession and landlords not budging on lease terms such as Jugo Juice, Belvadere, Divino, etc.).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-13-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #1903
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

There's going to be a large Loblaws grocery store 350m NE from Olympic Plaza / City Hall.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #1904
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
There's going to be a large Loblaws grocery store 350m NE from Olympic Plaza / City Hall.
I would wager to say that Stephen Avenue is more convenient if a farmers market was available. Most concentrated areas of downtown aren't going to walk over to CityMarket to get groceries before going home, unless you live in that direction. Driving a car after work to get there will likely be a cluster####.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #1905
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stephen Ave pedestrian street should stretch from city hall to 8th Street SW. Technically, once the new library opens, and they open city hall up to allow people to walk through the corridor, it should go all the way to Fort Calgary.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #1906
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

While they're at it, they should make the street ready for the much needed and eventual 8th Ave subway. Come on Nen$hi, make it rain!

Large image:
Spoiler!
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #1907
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we are ready for Stephen avenue to be fully pedestrian, no vehicles at all except overnight delivery truck stuff in the wee hours of the morning. Come at me Rick Bell.

#WarOnCars
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #1908
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While I could easily deep dive into the urban design of Stephen Avenue and potential of urban markets, a quick tip would be to get the redevelopment of Olympic Plaza right. A proper urban square in that location could be a massive anchor for a pedestrianised Stephen Avenue designed as a sticky people place. Just imagine a redesigned Olympic Plaza hosting a buzzing Christmas Market that then began to spread down Stephen Avenue over the years with people strolling down the avenue glühwein in hand.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #1909
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, Olympic Plaza has much more room for improvement than Stephen Ave, which in many ways is fairly decent already.

The good is that it should be getting attention soon.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #1910
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The big eventual option for a large scale redevelopment on Stephen Avenue is the Bay store. They are monetizing real estate, and it's a good location. Dividing the main floor into small vendors would be awesome.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #1911
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The big eventual option for a large scale redevelopment on Stephen Avenue is the Bay store. They are monetizing real estate, and it's a good location. Dividing the main floor into small vendors would be awesome.
The already added a restaurant and patio along the Stephen Ave side.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #1912
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The already added a restaurant and patio along the Stephen Ave side.
I was thinking convert the rest of the main floor into a full scale food hall.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #1913
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking convert the rest of the main floor into a full scale food beer hall.
Fixed.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #1914
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking convert the rest of the main floor into a full scale food hall.
Why? Is there even a need for more food places on Stephen?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #1915
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Agreed, Olympic Plaza has much more room for improvement than Stephen Ave, which in many ways is fairly decent already.

The good is that it should be getting attention soon.
I'm not sure if Olympic Plaza was part of the full build-out concept for the Arts Commons Redevelopment, but a couple years ago they did this project (although it concluded at the end of the conceptual stage):

http://bingthomarchitects.com/project/arts-commons/

Spoiler!
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #1916
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved that Bing Thom proposal, but if I recall the budget was insane to make it happen.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #1917
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I loved that Bing Thom proposal, but if I recall the budget was insane to make it happen.
That was the old concept (which was far more expensive). As far as I understand, the one posted above is the current expansion plan going forward.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #1918
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

CMLC's 2018 Business Plan Update:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...timized%29.pdf

Of note:

-17th Avenue SE extension into Stampede park
-5th Street SE underpass (to integrate with green line LRT)
-New "future proofing" parkade on 9th avenue to start construction in 2019
-Not expecting any new developments to break ground (residential) in 2018
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #1919
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What are/were the plans for the building that was started on 24th street, north end of Quarry Park. Concrete was poured a long time ago, the stairwells are done and theres a crane sitting there for more than a year now. Anyone know?
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #1920
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know you're a nerd when you're excited to see renderings of the 5th Ave underpass!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post: