Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #161
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Kane would be a top 3 forward on this team. If BT can somehow work out some sort of extension i would trade Brodie in a heatbeat.
Are you saying first line player, or are you saying Top 3 Forward?

Because if it's the latter it simply isnt true.

He does not rank ahead of

Gaudreau
Monahan
Backlund

Arguable he'd rank ahead of Tkachuk or Frolik either
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #162
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane seems like one of those guys whose rep is based on expectations, good performances in lesser roles on good teams, a couple seasons where he was markedly better than the majority of his year, and/or performances against your own team.

See also: Brouwer, Troy. A guy who always seemed to play well against the Flames, had a good performance in a particular role, and who people thought "with more ice time he will be a stud".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #163
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Are you saying first line player, or are you saying Top 3 Forward?

Because if it's the latter it simply isnt true.

He does not rank ahead of

Gaudreau
Monahan
Backlund

Arguable he'd rank ahead of Tkachuk or Frolik either
I believe he means points wise, Kane would be third on the Flames with 28 points, behind Gaudreau (38) & Monahan (30)
Kane would also be a top two goal scorer with 14 behind Monahans' 17.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #164
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Kane's playing style would fit in really well with the Flames. I worry about his previous issues with teammates and the contract year status.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #165
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only trade that would really make sense for the Flames would be something built around long-term-asset Ferland for Kane rental (as Kane would take Ferland’s place in top six.) Not sure that either the Flames or Sabres would be interested in that though.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #166
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nah, totally disagree makarov, you don't rob peter to pay paul.

The whole idea behind acquiring a guy like kane is to augment the physicality and goal scoring in the lineup. Moving Ferland for Kane is too clever by half.

It would surprise me to see Bennett go the other way in that kind of deal. He still has the potential to be that snot nosed player the flames have been missing.

Need a hathway type on each line and ideally you've got more than one of those guys on more than one line:

L1: Kane
L2: Tkachuk
L3: Bennett/Ferland
L4: Hathaway

Mix and match as necessary.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #167
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So this year could be:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Kane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr
Ferland-Lazar-Hathaway

Yeah that would be tough to play against I'd think/hope
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #168
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I believe he means points wise, Kane would be third on the Flames with 28 points, behind Gaudreau (38) & Monahan (30)
Kane would also be a top two goal scorer with 14 behind Monahans' 17.
Yeah, but that's this year only. Backlund outscored him last year as did Frolik and Tkachuk.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #169
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A kane extension in Calgary is something that could work as well.

Even though Calgary is a frozen wasteland, it's only an hour from Kane's family in Vancouver and isn't Buffalo or Winnipeg which is already an immediate step up.

I am all aboard this hype train. If James Neal isn't available I think Evander Kane is your next best option.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #170
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forget - what were the injuries he had?

ETA: never mind - looked it up. The only one I find concerning is the fact he's had a concussion.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #171
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames give up the two best players in the deal in a Backlund + Hamilton for ROR + Kane swap,
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #172
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Why would you compare the rentals vs guys signed long term?

Backlund and Kane are in similar spots both can walk in the summer. Hamilton and RoR would be the long term pieces both teams acquire. The Sabres would likely flip Backs at the deadline for futures.

Flames give up the best asset and take back the biggest contract. Like I said if McCabe is a huge add (I am not really sure if he is good or not) maybe the deal isn’t bad bad as it appears
I should have stated that I only want Kane in the case that he extends - don’t want him as a rental in that trade proposal.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #173
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope there is a deal to be had for Wayne Simmonds instead of Kane to play on the top line, despite the fact he's got another year on his contract.

Age doesn't matter (Wayne is 29) since the Flames are looking to win now. Both Simmonds and Kane would command big salaries, but Simmonds is RH and RW and we already have very decent options at LW on the Flames.

Simmonds is a powerplay God, and that's a huge area the Flames are lacking.

Simmonds brings grit and physicality, another area the Flames get beaten regularly.

Simmonds can bring some leadership, and although its subjective, positive reports about his character don't hurt. Look at the Hamonic personal story.

The cap is projected to go up, so I think they'll be room to give Simmonds the extension he wants (and deserves IMO) once Stajan is off the books and a goalie tandem is inked. The rest of the core is already signed.

In short, say no to Kane. This team doesn't need him.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #174
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't think this team is ready to contend yet (top 4 team) and taking into consideration our lack of upcoming draft picks + the price to acquire a top player at the deadline..

jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #175
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yup, the Flames don't need a winger who's on pace for 75 points and can play the one timer on the right circle opposite Gaudreau. Nosiree. No need for that here!
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #176
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Yup, the Flames don't need a winger who's on pace for 75 points and can play the one timer on the right circle opposite Gaudreau. Nosiree. No need for that here!
The counter is: Yup, the Flames really need a guy who runs hot and cold, takes a crap ton of penalties, is a problem child in and out of the locker room, and who will be asking for a lot of money in the off-season, or else is gone like the wind.

And who they have to overpay to get, looking at most of the more realistic proposals here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #177
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

*was a problem child

People keep bringing up stuff that happened a few years ago. Has there been anything to happen recently with him to make everyone consider him a problem child?

And as for the stuff that happened in Winterpeg, I think that Buff was part of the problem too. IMO he caused stuff and it all got dumped on Kane. I'm sure there's more to both sides but I still think Buff was a big part of the problem
Old 12-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #178
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The counter is: Yup, the Flames really need a guy who runs hot and cold, takes a crap ton of penalties, is a problem child in and out of the locker room, and who will be asking for a lot of money in the off-season, or else is gone like the wind.

And who they have to overpay to get, looking at most of the more realistic proposals here.
Ok, so who else is available that the Flames should trade for then if not Kane?

Or is this team ready to win the cup?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #179
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Ok, so who else is available that the Flames should trade for then if not Kane?

Or is this team ready to win the cup?
The team isn't ready to win the cup this year. So I don't want either a rental. If I'm looking for a top winger for the next, say, three or four years (which I think is the window once you get Jankowski, Bennett going well, Valimaki and one of the minor league goalies playing and maybe the likes of Dube, Andersson, etc involved) it's probably not Kane. 30 goals is very good, but maybe they can do better, either cost-wise or production wise. They could get Hoffman cheaper and he has produced just as well, with no off-ice issues. Same for Simmonds.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #180
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don’t think this team is ready to compete/contend - then at this stage I think what you’re really saying is the rebuild has failed.

All the key pieces that we will compete with are likely already in place. We likely aren’t going to have any prospects come in and replace important players and actually improve upon them at this stage.

We’re set to contend now, and there’s not a huge gap between us and the top teams as-is. Adding another top end forward like Kane/Simmonds effectively addresses the only real remaining hole on the playing roster.

It’s time to go for it.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: