Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #21
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've ever been drinking with a cop with a breathalizer, it is crazy how intoxicated it takes to be 0.08. I am a very experienced drinker, and finally managed to get to 0.08 drinking during a Flames game at the pub. There was zero chance I would ever drive after the amount I had consumed.

When you hear someone blowing twice the legal limit, they are pretty much driving blacked out.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I propose a test.

Lets get the CPS DUI RV and a flat of booze and head off to Speeders for a CP Christmas party!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #23
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the whole change to 0.05 people had everyone freaking out. "Now I can't have my one or two glasses of wine at dinner because I'll blow over." Nope, not the case. And if it is, you probably shouldn't be driving anyways.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #24
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should ask Santa for one of these things I just found.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #25
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
It's $50 for the second one at Bestbuy until Dec 28.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10395580.aspx?

My personal rule of thumb has always been greater than 1:1 drink to hour ratio over 4 hours and you're probably not supposed to drive. 3 drinks in less than 2 hours is max. However, how I feel is more important than the expected BAC. I generally drink a lot of water if I am to drive. Based on some BAC calculators, I don't think I ever drive if I'm over .025 or higher.

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-12-2017 at 01:51 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #26
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Costco has them online. Hilarious, they were just on sale last week. Actually wanted to pick one up and forgot about it until this thread.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #27
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It's $50 for the second one at Bestbuy until Dec 28.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10395580.aspx?

My personal rule of thumb has always been greater than 1:1 drink to hour ratio over 4 hours and you're probably not supposed to drive. 3 drinks in less than 2 hours is max. However, how I feel is more important than the expected BAC. I generally drink a lot of water if I am to drive. Based on some BAC calculators, I don't think I ever drive if I'm over .025 or higher.
Craft beer with ABVs ranging from 6-18% and serving sizes from 8 to 20 ounces has made the one drink an hour calculation rather mathy! Not to mention 16 ounce cans and 26 ounce bottles.

Last edited by nfotiu; 12-12-2017 at 02:04 PM.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #28
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Then there's just a lot of factors that online BAC calculators rarely (if ever) ask. 200 pound man vs a 200 pound man are not equal if one is obese and the other is fit. Muscle will absorb alcohol unlike fat, so it helps to keep BAC down.

People know how much food does matter. But so does the type of food. Carbohydrates absorb, they can help reduce BAC. Fatty foods, just like actual fat, does not.

Of course people have different metabolism and tolerance. Really there's too many variables so it's not surprising that the OP got a relatively large range.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 12-12-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #29
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

glad I started this topic, as now I know how available real ones are. I am going to purchase one in the near future, just going to look for a good one at a good price now.
I looked on Amazon and I saw one that was made by the same company I bought an BT/FM transmitter that only lasted less than a year, so I dont' want one from them for instance.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Craft beer with ABVs ranging from 6-18% and serving sizes from 8 to 20 ounces has made the one drink an hour calculation rather mathy! Not to mention 16 ounce cans and 26 ounce bottles.
If you stumble on this calculation, you probably shouldn't drive home.

I do have a rough calculation for craft beers and it never seems right:

(Xoz/12oz + X%/5%) - 1

A 20 oz craft beer at 12% is about the same as downing 4 cans of Coors?

But as another poster mentioned, there are also other factors as well ranging from tolerance, food consumption/type of food consumption, mixing of alcohols, etc. to determine how "drunk" someone is.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #31
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Impaired and 0.08 are two different charges in the criminal code. All the police need is reasonable grounds to believe your ability to operate a motor vehicle is impaired by drug or alcohol to charge you. In most cases they won't even get a road side sample as it just hampers their case for your impairment. "If you were certain he was impaired, why did you need a roadside sample?"

The breath demand is what you will be read when it's time to go downtown and an actual breath tech has to take that sample. Within four hours of time of drive to get the certificate they can use as evidence in court, however an expert can come in to extrapolate the sample if you pass that window.

This impairment will always be different for different people, so don't get hung up on the BAC.

Also the penalty for refusal is the same as impaired or 0.08 so never refuse. Refusal can include pretending to blow, or purposely blowing out the side of your mouth etc.. as well.

Honestly if you drink, just don't drive it's that simple. You are the worst person to try and assess your own level of impairment and your buddies are not trained professionals and are most likely drinking with you. If you need any motivation for that read this article:

http://www.cjme.com/2016/06/09/van-d...g-and-driving/

Last edited by GreenLantern; 12-12-2017 at 03:40 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #32
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The other way to calculate it is how much alcohol is in any given beer. A 12 oz can of Coors @ 5% will have 0.6 ounces of alcohol. (12 x .05) The 20 oz can of 12% beer will have 2.4 oz of alcohol. (20 x .12) So yes, exactly the same as 4 cans of Coors.

There is some other factors such as how long it would take to drink, and your body to then absorb the alcohol.

However if I ever find myself drinking a 20 oz can of 12% beer by myself I don't need to worry if I'm too drunk to drive- as that means I'm at home alone.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #33
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It takes a lot more than people think to get to 0.08 BAC.
Yes but the legal limit is .05
Old 12-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #34
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A six-pack an hour sounds about right.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Well not really.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #36
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what happens at .05?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #37
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

You get pulled over and blow between 0.05-0.08 and they seize your car and licence for 3 days. It's not criminal.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #38
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You get pulled over and blow between 0.05-0.08 and they seize your car and licence for 3 days. It's not criminal.
You still get the fun of asking your friends and family for a ride or taking transit to work and explaining why you cant drive and why your car is missing from your driveway.

In Alberta this wont affect your insurance, but it some provinces it will.

And good luck to you if you crash and kill or injure people. You may get off but it will cost you and take time and you will live with the stigma of being known as a drunk driver.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #39
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the administrative limit.

I think saying you need to be really drunk to get to .08 is dangerous statement as it encourages people to make an assessment on how they feel over Math.

Also the longer you are drunk for the more sober you will feel at the same impairment. Or if you drink 8-10 drinks and wait to "sober" up. You are incapable of making a judgement on your own sobriety.

So Math is the only way other than a 0 tolerance. But on any more than 3/4 beer you will begin to risk missing beer in your calculator or screwing up the duration you have been drinking.

So set a conservative max before you leave your house and you will be okay. As a 200lb guy I use 3 beer or 2 pints regardless of time.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #40
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Count me in as someone who's played with a breathalyzer and was starting to feel it pretty good at .05 (as in no way in hell would I drive) and .08 was sufficiently hammered enough I'd be hangover from it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote