Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #1821
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
There is no possible way you can say that. It's preposterous. These are $100 black Tourens on my minivan. Are you really trying to tell me steelies would have looked better? That's fataing crazy.
Meh. They get a pass because they're black.

Beyond that there is too much open space and not enough sidewall for a minivan. The proportions look off. Those wheels would be better suited on a small sedan instead of a vehicle with lots of body. It gives off the giant vehicle on weak wheels look.

That and they might actually be weak wheels. A lot of Touren wheels look to have a weight rating of 1,600lbs. Considering your Sienna has a GVWR of 5,995lbs based on a payload of ~1,200lbs, you might be routinely over loading those wheels depending on the weight distribution of your passengers and cargo.

So yeah, in my opinion steel wheels would have looked better. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #1822
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Meh. They get a pass because they're black.

Beyond that there is too much open space and not enough sidewall for a minivan. The proportions look off. Those wheels would be better suited on a small sedan instead of a vehicle with lots of body. It gives off the giant vehicle on weak wheels look.

That and they might actually be weak wheels. A lot of Touren wheels look to have a weight rating of 1,600lbs. Considering your Sienna has a GVWR of 5,995lbs based on a payload of ~1,200lbs, you might be routinely over loading those wheels depending on the weight distribution of your passengers and cargo.

So yeah, in my opinion steel wheels would have looked better. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The proportions look off? It's the factory rim and wheel size. It's literally the exact same size side wall and wheel you'd get if you went to Toyota and bought an XLE off the lot.

Steelies look crappy because they're inset too far into the wheel well on a Sienna. That's where you get gibbled proportions.

I agree that too-open wheels look like crap unless the vehicle has proportionately large disks and calipers, but I can assure you that is not the case here.

But I guess you guys have cleared it up for me. People are buying steelies because they look so great. Makes perfect sense and isn't completely ######ed at all.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #1823
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah I'll give you that. It is better than steelies. Still not what I'd call good looking but better than steels no doubt.

Like I said though I'm suspect of the build quality on such cheap ones. I've cracked a lot of wheels in my day and it's such a pain in the ass. Steelies I've put through hell and they hold up
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #1824
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cheap rims look like cheap rims. From a distance, it might look better than steelies but when you get a proper look, cheap rims still look like ####e. When you see steelies in winter, you know that person is likely rolling with steelies because its their winter wheel/tire set. When you see cheap rims, its more likely that the person has ####ey taste and thinks theyre rollin on something hot when in reality its trash.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #1825
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, the guy rolling on steelies has great taste.

I used to think only dopes bought steelies. I still think that.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #1826
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To each their own. Thats why theres choice in the market.
But at the end of the day you drive a minivan with cheap rims and its no better than a Chrysler minivan with steelies. And thats OK, because no one cares even though you think people do.
Quote:
Yeah, the guy rolling on steelies has great taste.

I used to think only dopes bought steelies. I still think that.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #1827
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
To each their own. Thats why theres choice in the market.
But at the end of the day you drive a minivan with cheap rims and its no better than a Chrysler minivan with steelies. And thats OK, because no one cares even though you think people do.
Having pride in ownership isn't about trying to impress other people.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #1828
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rub this on your tires and then its all good.

Take the attention away from your wheels.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #1829
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Youre proud to own cheap wheels?

Have you bought into real estate agent marketing crap and are trying to apply that to canadian tire automotive accessories?

Quote:
Having pride in ownership isn't about trying to impress other people.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #1830
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

You guys are blowing my mind and I'm going to fully admit I'm not following wtf you're talking about.

This is your logic as I'm understanding it:
  • cheap wheels look like garbage
  • buy the cheapest wheels on the market so it doesn't look like your driving on cheap wheels

It makes no fataing sense. Your options don't need to be steelies or super expensive top-of-the-line wheels. For a few bucks more than steelies you can get wheels that don't make your car look like an old Buick Century with missing hubcaps. And do you think I'm putting my minivan in car shows or something? Like I get there are better rims if I wanted to spend more, but these rims absolutely look nice and they are way better at $30 more per wheel than steelies would have been. That's just an objective fact.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #1831
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Youre proud to own cheap wheels?

Have you bought into real estate agent marketing crap and are trying to apply that to canadian tire automotive accessories?
Do you want to let the "cheap" thing go? Like are you trying to make me feel bad for not having money falling off trees all around me so I can drop $4k on wheels. I can't be proud of my car because you don't think it's worth enough? Fata you. That's a 2011 minivan you're looking at and is clearly well taken care of by someone that enjoys owning it.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #1832
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you want to let the "cheap" thing go? Like are you trying to make me feel bad for not having money falling off trees all around me so I can drop $4k on wheels. I can't be proud of my car because you don't think it's worth enough? Fata you. That's a 2011 minivan you're looking at and is clearly well taken care of by someone that enjoys owning it.
You’re really passionate about some odd things.

I think take a poll at your next back yard bender and see if steel rims is really something people put a lot of effort into caring about.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #1833
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
You’re really passionate about some odd things.

I think take a poll at your next back yard bender and see if steel rims is really something people put a lot of effort into caring about.
Hah, of all my friends maybe one or two are car guys. They definitely won't care.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #1834
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hah, of all my friends maybe one or two are car guys. They definitely won't care.
But that’s what I’m saying. It really shouldn’t matter to you one way or another what other people buy.

For every person who thinks people who buy steel rims are idiots there is another person who thinks people who buy more than steel rims are idiots.

Spoiler alert, it doesn’t matter. Buy what you like, don’t worry about what other people do. It’s a silly thing to waste energy and time on.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 03-22-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #1835
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
But that’s what I’m saying. It really shouldn’t matter to you one way or another what other people buy.

For every person who thinks people who buy steel rims are idiots there is another person who thinks people who buy more than steel rims are idiots.

Spoiler alert, it doesn’t matter. Buy what you like, don’t worry about what other people do. It’s a silly thing to waste energy and time on.
Yeah, I'm not going to walk up to a guy with steelies and start poking him in the chest telling him how I feel about his wheel choice. We're talking about winter wheels, in a winter tire thread, on a discussion forum.

Why discuss anything? Maybe photon could just shut the forum down and leave one page that advises us not to waste energy talking about things that don't matter. Hockey, wheels, phones, gear grinders...the whole point of this site is to talk about dumb stuff that barely matters.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #1836
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not going to walk up to a guy with steelies and start poking him in the chest telling him how I feel about his wheel choice. We're talking about winter wheels, in a winter tire thread, on a discussion forum.

Why discuss anything? Maybe photon could just shut the forum down and leave one page that advises us not to waste energy talking about things that don't matter. Hockey, wheels, phones, gear grinders...the whole point of this site is to talk about dumb stuff that barely matters.
I think that’s more of a question for Bingo, not photon. If that happened though I don’t know where I would find out things like “today in history” or dick moves in the gaming industry.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #1837
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cars are neat because people’s opinions are so various and ingrained, even for things most people would never think about. I have a history in auto body, and I certainly care how my car looks. I happen to think wheels should either be factory, steel, or be perfectly sized, offset, finished and profiled for the vehicle; anything less looks bad to me.
I’m the same was Sliver thinks no one is going to take care of their atrocious looking steel wheels, I think it’s not worth caring for the atrocious alloys. Just, for as long as cars have been cool, only those with rad attitude and style could rock steel wheels . COPO Novas, Swinger Darts, and badass Micras agree.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #1838
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is amazing. I didn’t think anyone would actually prefer steel wheels to, well, any other kind of rim. I don’t care at all if a person has steelies, I just assume they don’t care how they’re car looks.

But to actually believe they look better? Mind blown.

I like the sweatpants analogy. “Unless I’m wearing $300 jeans, then I just wear sweatpants. At least I’m not wearing those cheap Old Navy Jeans”.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #1839
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it's just that steelies look 'meh' but cheap wheels can look horrible. Like 81mc touched on, I'm picky about wheels. If they don't fit and suit the vehicle perfect, I'm not interested.

Steelies are more like walmart jeans than sweatpants. You're not fooling anyone into thinking you're fancy but they'll do the job on the average day to day. Until they fall apart and have holes in them (rust) then you're just an idiot

Last edited by btimbit; 03-23-2018 at 12:09 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 AM   #1840
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the replies, I should wait until Easter to take my winters off.

Then I should kill myself because I have steel rims.

Did I get that right?