Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Did you renew your Seasons Tickets?
Yes 101 39.15%
No 28 10.85%
Don't have tickets but want to see the results. 129 50.00%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Simple question: Season ticket holders... To renew or not to renew

I'd be interested after this season in learning about your feelings on renewal. Notices will likely be mailed very soon.

Ken Kings playoff drive letter was quite laughable.

I have this inevitable fear that if I don't renew they will go on to win the Cup. So maybe I should just do this to push the cause further.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At least one more year! I really feel like the team is much better than they've been playing. I'm already excited to see what a new coaching staff can do.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nope, not renewing. I'll watch for free on TV and spend my 7g + concessions elsewhere. It's not worth that much
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been waffling on not renewing for a couple years now. Like you I also fear the sudden success if I do cancel, but on the other hand it's not like tickets are impossible to get. Still on the fence, and I think a lot of season ticket holders feel the same way.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm becoming increasingly concerned that every year it's getting harder and harder to get rid of the tickets I can't use. On the other hand I have a feeling that we're not actually that far off from being a really good team. Swap our home and road records and this isn't even a conversation for me.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I'd be interested after this season in learning about your feelings on renewal. Notices will likely be mailed very soon.

Ken Kings playoff drive letter was quite laughable.

I have this inevitable fear that if I don't renew they will go on to win the Cup. So maybe I should just do this to push the cause further.
If they win a Stanley Cup by you not renew then please do not renew.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Been waffling on not renewing for a couple years now. Like you I also fear the sudden success if I do cancel, but on the other hand it's not like tickets are impossible to get. Still on the fence, and I think a lot of season ticket holders feel the same way.
That's how I felt two years ago. Very happy not to have held on to them. I'm interested to see if they'll increase prices and by how much. I imagine the STH appetite for a raise is at its lowest in a looooong time.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #8
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m renewing only because so many family/friends rely on us for seats. My Dad and I will reduce our season haul to five from ten games. (And five may end up being too many.)

All too often this season, I spent my time at games wondering why I was giving 5+ hours to a game night (travel, game itself) when I could focus on other interests. It started out as a pouty reaction to terrible hockey but actually became a positive realization that allowed me to free up loads of now-productive time.

I’m past the point of complaining/whining and at the point now where “Flames hockey” is legitimately just another thing to do, or not. It’s a shame, in a way, because most of my fandom for this team has been spent as a “die-hard”. But things change and as George once wisely remarked: “All Things Must Pass”.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really considering going on the hot house this summer but after the tire fire of a season. I'm waiting until the moves are made and how they play next year to decide.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Someone needs to find out if Bev will renew her tickets behind the Flames coach? It will be odd if she doesn't...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The only way I'll renew is if GG is fired before the renewal date and prices stay the same (or go down)

Last edited by boogerz; 03-22-2018 at 10:54 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #12
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm considering not renewing, but for me it's about the time suck rather than the money. I honestly don't really enjoy going to flames games anymore. Not sure if I've just outgrown it, if it's the bad on ice product or all the ####ty promos during commericals that make having a conversation difficult. This year at the dome I remember often feeling that I'd rather be doing something else with my time. And this is why I gave away about half my tickets even noting the sunk cost (implying the tickets had a negative value to me).

The ####ty resale market is just salt in the wound. The flames are on thin ice.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #13
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a game pack with designs on stepping up to STH in a few years, but now I'm almost certainly going to decline the renewal option. I have seen so many home losses now that when the opposition scores (as they did on their first shot the last time I was at the dome) it feels like there is a 90% chance we'll go on to lose the game (for me, that stat has pretty much played out). That feeling absolutely sucks.

The only thing that would cause me to reconsider at this point is if they wipe out the coaching staff early in the off season. I'm done watching Gulutzan hockey, even for free on my TV at home.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 11:16 PM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Someone needs to find out if Bev will renew her tickets behind the Flames coach? It will be odd if she doesn't...
Anyone have a sense of how many years she has been sitting there?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm becoming increasingly concerned that every year it's getting harder and harder to get rid of the tickets I can't use. On the other hand I have a feeling that we're not actually that far off from being a really good team. Swap our home and road records and this isn't even a conversation for me.
Recession + 3 playoff years in past 10 seasons will do that. It's honestly surprising the team is still selling 18-19k tickets per game.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #16
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It all hinges on getting a new coaching staff for me. If they don't clean house I'm pretty sure I won't renew. This was the worst year for being a fan. The hockey was boring and frustrating. Even when they won it was more of a relief than a celebration. The team should have been better than this.

The whole new stadium bulls#@$t also really rubbed me wrong. I want a new rink but the way the ownership is going about it is brutal. Rink should already have been built seeing as they've been taking about it for over 10 years.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 05:08 AM   #17
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I will renew, but likely continue the trend on having my share drop, from a 1/2 to 1/4 to 1/6 to 1/8 to...... 0 of a season. If the team figures out a way to sustain some success, that trend may reverse someday. Currently, I’m at 1/4 of two seats for a season, looking to bump down to 1/6. Like many, there’s a lot of people who I love to take a game or two, and it would suck not having that guaranteed availability.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #18
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they get good, spend your money on the mile.

We tossed our tickets last year, this year was way better. I watched 10 games on TV (maybe) and a few on the radio and that was enough.

They really play terrible ugly hockey.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #19
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will gladly renew , as I've had some share of season tickets since the early 80's.

It took be until 2003 to get my full share of 4 tickets, and I'm not about to give that up, as it would be too difficult to get them back if I dumped them.

Part of being a fan is supporting your team when they aren't all that great. I get that this has been an incredibly frustrating season, but if winning was easy, it wouldn't be that much fun.

I get why many talk about not renewing, but that's not in the cards for me.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #20
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably renew, but I won't like it!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote