Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #41
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m prolly gonna get ripped for this but I don’t get how people think a culture change will come from dumping Brouwer and Stajan? If those 2 are the bloodline of this team then the problems are deeper than we think.

I think you have to look at moving out Monahan. Obviously not selling low and only if you get a comparable return but there’s a couple things about his game that bug me.

Everyone talks about these “hate to lose” guys. He is not one of these guys he is as emotionless as I’ve ever seen in a player. How come he’s NEVER stood up for a teammate? I actually had to look it up. He’s had ONE fight 6 years ago in the O. Never in the big leagues. I’m not saying he has to fight every second game or take on Reaves the other day but to not stick up for Johnny, his supposed BFF on the team, even once? Even just once. You can’t tell me that Monahan couldn’t have stood up to Staal last year?
He’s well below average defensively, I know, I know, 30+ goal scorers don’t come around every day but is he truly a great goal scorer? Or is he a by product of Johnny? He’s not a “sniper” by no means (see:Iggy/OV/Laine). I would gladly take a 1C who pots 25 but is much stronger in his own end.
Don’t get me wrong I like the kid, I’m not a “Monahan-hater” by no means but he seems to escape a lot of criticism for a very one dimensional player. I think if you’re looking at a tough decision to change to core it might have to be him.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm going to get ripped for this, but I think we have to look at moving out Guadreau. Obviously we can't sell low on him and only if we get a comparable return for him. But there are a couple of things about his game that I don't like.

He's never stood up for a team mate. For Christ sake he won the Lady Bing, I don't think he's had a real fight in his time in college hockey, or in the pro's.

I'm not saying he has to fight often, but he really would have rallied the team if he would have jumped on Reaves face the other day and planted a Flames flag like an astronaut landing on the moon after the Brodie incident.

Johnny's also below average defensively, I know that players like him don't come around every day, but I believe that he's a product of Matt Stajan, and he's only got some 20 odd goals, that's certainly low for a guy that makes over 6 million bucks a year fer crying out loud.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #43
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
CENTRES
11 Mikael Backlund - keep
46 Marek Hrivik - let walk
77 Mark Jankowski - re-sign
23 Sean Monahan - keep
25 Nick Shore - trade
18 Matt Stajan - let walk

I trade shore, as he's an RFA, and has proven to be a useful bottom 6 NHL'er, capable of 15ish points a season. but we've got Monahan, Backlund, Janko as our top 3 centers, with the likes of Dube, Phillips (doubt he plays C in the NHL with his size), and Shinkaruk who I'd rather see in a more offensive 4th line role, seeing as the 4th lines aren't plug lines anymore. Maybe we recoup that 7th round pick. If none of the kids can take the step next season, filling a 4th line C role isn't hard in Free Agency.

LEFT WINGS
93 Sam Bennett - keep
79 Micheal Ferland - keep
13 Johnny Gaudreau - keep
15 Tanner Glass - let walk
19 Matthew Tkachuk - keep

RIGHT WINGS
36 Troy Brouwer - trade/buyout
67 Michael Frolik - keep
21 Garnet Hathaway - keep
20 Curtis Lazar - keep
8 Chris Stewart - let walk
10 Kris Versteeg - keep

DEFENSE
44 Matt Bartkowski - let walk
7 T.J. Brodie - trade
5 Mark Giordano - keep
27 Dougie Hamilton - keep
24 Travis Hamonic - keep
61 Brett Kulak - keep
26 Michael Stone - trade

Kulak is due for a decent raise, so you have to move one of Brodie or Stone. I'd prefer to move Stone if the coaching staff changes, as Brodie can provide more when utilized properly. However, if you get a good offer for Brodie, you move him for a better return than Stone would fetch. Andersson is ready, Kylington should get a good hard look as well. If they need to sign a 6/7, can be done for cheap in Free Agency.

GOALIES
33 David Rittich - keep
41 Mike Smith - keep

Keep Rittich, but keep it a dog fight for the backup between him and Gillies

Head Coach: Glen Gulutzan - fire
Ass. Coach: Dave Cameron - fire
Ass. Coach: Paul Jerrard - fire
Ass. Coach: Martin Gelinas - fire
Goal Coach: Jordan Sigalet - fire
GM: Brad Treliving - keep

My 2018/19 lineup looks like this:

Gaudreau-Monahan-??
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Ferland-Janko-Frolik
Versteeg-Shinkaruk/Dube-Lazar/Foo/Phillips

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Andersson
Hamonic-kulak

Smith
Rittich/Gillies
How would Kulak get any more than a qualifying offer for a raise? He is a #6D man on a non-playoff team. He never even showed himself to be a #5.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #44
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtown View Post
I’m prolly gonna get ripped for this but I don’t get how people think a culture change will come from dumping Brouwer and Stajan? If those 2 are the bloodline of this team then the problems are deeper than we think.

I think you have to look at moving out Monahan. Obviously not selling low and only if you get a comparable return but there’s a couple things about his game that bug me.

Everyone talks about these “hate to lose” guys. He is not one of these guys he is as emotionless as I’ve ever seen in a player. How come he’s NEVER stood up for a teammate? I actually had to look it up. He’s had ONE fight 6 years ago in the O. Never in the big leagues. I’m not saying he has to fight every second game or take on Reaves the other day but to not stick up for Johnny, his supposed BFF on the team, even once? Even just once. You can’t tell me that Monahan couldn’t have stood up to Staal last year?
He’s well below average defensively, I know, I know, 30+ goal scorers don’t come around every day but is he truly a great goal scorer? Or is he a by product of Johnny? He’s not a “sniper” by no means (see:Iggy/OV/Laine). I would gladly take a 1C who pots 25 but is much stronger in his own end.
Don’t get me wrong I like the kid, I’m not a “Monahan-hater” by no means but he seems to escape a lot of criticism for a very one dimensional player. I think if you’re looking at a tough decision to change to core it might have to be him.
Chicago is in trouble..... Monahan for Toews

That would be a culture shock for the Flames
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #45
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

edit: I've been had

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-20-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #46
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
edit: I've been had
Pretty sure he was mocking my post just before his
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #47
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

CENTRES
11 Mikael Backlund - keep
46 Marek Hrivik - out
77 Mark Jankowski - keep
23 Sean Monahan - trade
25 Nick Shore - keep
18 Matt Stajan - out

LEFT WINGS
93 Sam Bennett - keep
79 Micheal Ferland - trade
13 Johnny Gaudreau - keep; untouchable
15 Tanner Glass - out
19 Matthew Tkachuk - keep; untouchable

RIGHT WINGS
36 Troy Brouwer - buyout
67 Michael Frolik - trade
21 Garnet Hathaway - keep
20 Curtis Lazar - trade/AHL
8 Chris Stewart - out
10 Kris Versteeg - out

DEFENSE
44 Matt Bartkowski - out
7 T.J. Brodie - trade
5 Mark Giordano - trade
27 Dougie Hamilton - keep
24 Travis Hamonic - keep
61 Brett Kulak - keep
26 Michael Stone - keep

GOALIES
33 David Rittich - keep
41 Mike Smith - keep

Head Coach: Glen Gulutzan - fire
Ass. Coach: Dave Cameron - fire
Ass. Coach: Paul Jerrard - fire
Ass. Coach: Martin Gelinas - fire
Goal Coach: Jordan Sigalet - fire
GM: Brad Treliving - keep
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #48
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm going to get ripped for this, but I think we have to look at moving out Guadreau. Obviously we can't sell low on him and only if we get a comparable return for him. But there are a couple of things about his game that I don't like.

He's never stood up for a team mate. For Christ sake he won the Lady Bing, I don't think he's had a real fight in his time in college hockey, or in the pro's.

I'm not saying he has to fight often, but he really would have rallied the team if he would have jumped on Reaves face the other day and planted a Flames flag like an astronaut landing on the moon after the Brodie incident.

Johnny's also below average defensively, I know that players like him don't come around every day, but I believe that he's a product of Matt Stajan, and he's only got some 20 odd goals, that's certainly low for a guy that makes over 6 million bucks a year fer crying out loud.
Way bigger fish to fry with this roster than Johnny's toughness factor.

6.75M for nearly McDavid's production...who will be making nearly twice that. Yeah, I'd rather not trade away the most skilled player on one of the best contracts in his tier.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #50
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

CENTRES
11 Mikael Backlund - Keep
46 Marek Hrivik - Let walk
77 Mark Jankowski - Re-sign
23 Sean Monahan - Keep
25 Nick Shore - Re-sign
18 Matt Stajan - Let walk

LEFT WINGS

93 Sam Bennett - Trade for the right price or keep.
79 Micheal Ferland - Keep
13 Johnny Gaudreau - Keep
15 Tanner Glass - Let walk
19 Matthew Tkachuk - Keep

RIGHT WINGS
36 Troy Brouwer - Buyout or trade
67 Michael Frolik - Keep
21 Garnet Hathaway - Indifferent
20 Curtis Lazar - Keep if he commits to taking conditioning seriously, otherwise trade/let walk
8 Chris Stewart - Let walk
10 Kris Versteeg - Let walk

DEFENSE

44 Matt Bartkowski - Let walk
7 T.J. Brodie - Try on right side with new coach or trade
5 Mark Giordano - Keep
27 Dougie Hamilton - Keep
24 Travis Hamonic - Keep
61 Brett Kulak - Keep
26 Michael Stone - Trade or buyout

GOALIES
33 David Rittich - Keep
41 Mike Smith - Keep

Head Coach: Glen Gulutzan - Fire
Ass. Coach: Dave Cameron - Fire
Ass. Coach: Paul Jerrard - Indifferent
Ass. Coach: Martin Gelinas - Indifferent
Goal Coach: Jordan Sigalet - Fire
GM: Brad Treliving - Probably keep, pending review of logic behind disaster moves and go-forward plan
POHO: Brian Burke - Fire
CEO: Ken King - Fire

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #51
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Forgot the green text?
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #52
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I don't have time to post my thoughts on each player or coach at the moment but the scenario I really think needs to happen is moving a Dman, probably Brodie, for a RW. I think Rasmus Andersson can step in next year and play with either Stone or Kulak on the bottom pairing. Calgary needs an offensively-minded RW that can still be responsible in his own end (is there one out there?). Hopefully a burner. That would allow Ferland to move down to the 3rd line with Jankowski and Bennett. It would hopefully let Ferland get some of his old jam back instead of trying to keep his nose clean all the time. That's not his game.

I keep going back to Eberle in NY. I don't suppose that he's the most defensively responsible RW in the league but I think he'd make a nice addition to that top line. He has so many Calgary ties and if NYI re-sign Tavares they may need to move some salary off of the books. Plus, Leddy regressed on defence this season and when De Haan went down to injury, the Islanders struggled the rest of the year keeping the puck out of the net. I don't know. Just spit-ballin' here.

Maybe do something a little larger at the draft and try to get a pick in the first couple of rounds.

Bottom line: I hope Treliving moves a defenseman out for a forward.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #53
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
How would Kulak get any more than a qualifying offer for a raise? He is a #6D man on a non-playoff team. He never even showed himself to be a #5.
Our #5D man on a non-playoff team is just finishing the first year of his 3 year, $3.5M deal...so I wouldn't rule anything out just because he's on the bottom pairing.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #54
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chicago is in trouble..... Monahan for Toews

That would be a culture shock for the Flames
I love Toews but please lord don't make that trade Flames.

A 30 year old who hasn't broken 30 goals or 60 points in 3 years and has played a lot of hockey, so his actual odometer is probably actually higher than 30 years old.

Plus he also has a $10.5M cap hit for 5 more seasons.

The team needs to get younger, faster, and cheaper at forward. Not add older, and potentially declining players.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #55
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
He's shown to be a 5/6 on this team, this year with what was supposed to be one of the deepest D-Groups in the league.
He's out scoring his D-Partner Stone, while not seeing PP time, and is a +1 while Stone is a -10.

I said he'd get a decent raise, not a comparable salary to any of the top 5, but when Stone is making $3.5M/yr, and Kulak is making $650,000, I'd assume a raise to $1.5-$2M isn't out of the question, and would be considered a decent signing.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Forgot the green text?
I was told that Green Text is a no go in this new era of Calgarypuck.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #57
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtown View Post
Or is he a by product of Johnny?
Let's trade Monahan to find out if he's a product of Gaudreau? Well, what if he isn't? What if the hockey player who was scoring 20+ goals with Galiardi as a teen before Gaudreau even played in the NHL is actually a good scorer? And we just traded an actual good player and not a product.

Given Johhny's skillset, you probably do want a center who's a finisher. A complete list of centers with more goals than Monahan in the last 3 years:

Crosby
Malkin
Seguin
Tavares

I mean, he's in literally elite company right now.

In 2001, you would have been in favour of trading the no-passion, product-of-an-all-star-winger Savard for pretty much the exact same reasons. Except Savard was older and proven less.

Funny enough they did trade him because of a cultural shakeup and attitude, and we lived the next decade wondering what could have been for our all-star winger if they had kept a skilled center instead of "character" centers. I don't want to #### that up again.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #58
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I don't have time to post my thoughts on each player or coach at the moment but the scenario I really think needs to happen is moving a Dman, probably Brodie, for a RW. I think Rasmus Andersson can step in next year and play with either Stone or Kulak on the bottom pairing. Calgary needs an offensively-minded RW that can still be responsible in his own end (is there one out there?). Hopefully a burner. That would allow Ferland to move down to the 3rd line with Jankowski and Bennett. It would hopefully let Ferland get some of his old jam back instead of trying to keep his nose clean all the time. That's not his game.

I keep going back to Eberle in NY. I don't suppose that he's the most defensively responsible RW in the league but I think he'd make a nice addition to that top line. He has so many Calgary ties and if NYI re-sign Tavares they may need to move some salary off of the books. Plus, Leddy regressed on defence this season and when De Haan went down to injury, the Islanders struggled the rest of the year keeping the puck out of the net. I don't know. Just spit-ballin' here.

Maybe do something a little larger at the draft and try to get a pick in the first couple of rounds.

Bottom line: I hope Treliving moves a defenseman out for a forward.

Can Treliving pull this move Brodie for Eberle and one of the 1st picks either Flames or Islanders.

Treliving is going to move a defensemen out for sure could be 1 or 2 but it will happen.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #59
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's extremely rare to change positions, but I sometimes wonder what Brodie would be like as a forward winger instead of D. His skating is good, fine stick handling, and a decent passer. We've seen the best play out of him when he's been free to join the rush or pinch. His shot is terrible but he could be put with some shooters (if we ever get any).

Take the defenseman defensive responsibilities that he hasn't been good at off his plate. He doesn't have the size or strength required to be a top tier D man.

Or perhaps I need a time machine to go back to the day he chose D.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #60
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our defence is way too nice. We need some guys that punish people.

I wish we would have gotten rid of Brodie and kept Engelland to start the season. Guaranteed we would be higher in the standings than we are now.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote