Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #41
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I thought it was common knowledge that if a 4th liner/regular scratch is in place of a top forward missing practice that he's a place holder?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #42
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson
Reading between the lines, it sounds like Tkachuk could miss Tuesday's game. But Monahan and Backlund are more likely. "Maintenance" days for all three players according to #Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan.
Where have I heard this before?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #43
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that if a 4th liner/regular scratch is in place of a top forward missing practice that he's a place holder?

GG: "Steeeeeeewart, come on up!"

Last edited by joejoe3; 03-12-2018 at 01:35 PM.
joejoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #44
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know if I'm more disappointed that he has to keep scolding his players like a third-rate school teacher or that he keeps harping on 'The Right Way.'

He sounds more like a Cult Leader than an NHL Coach.
He sounds exactly like Brent Sutter.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #45
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sorry, our definitions might not be the same.

I dont see 'swearing in practice' to be equivalent to 'preparing the team.'

If you think thats all it takes then ride that Gully train all the way to the station baby!
Come on now. You might hate Gulutzan but he is doing more than "swearing in practice". He is trying to get them focused on the start of the game.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Come on now. You might hate Gulutzan but he is doing more than "swearing in practice". He is trying to get them focused on the start of the game.
Hes about 150 games late if hes just starting that now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #48
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is kinda off topic but I've never understood why it's done that way. Why do you slot the 4th liner in rather than move somebody up short term that might be a better fit? Sure it throws off your other lines too but I can't imagine it's much benefit for Gaudreau and Ferland to practice with Shore.

For instance, if Monahan is out, wouldn't it make sense to slot Bennett or Jankowski in there and see how they respond, see if there's anything worth trying in a game, and allow them to build chemistry with Gaudreau?

You're probably not going to slot Shore in there in a game situation so why not see how somebody else works or reward somebody that's playing well? Maybe it would be useful some day in a game scenario when the top line is struggling or Monahan gets injured mid-game.

They always talk about practicing how you play, isn't this just another example of NOT practicing how you'd play?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #49
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hes about 150 games late if hes just starting that now.
But just for the home games right? Somehow he manages to get them going for road games. Can anyone explain how that’s on the coach? I’m serious, I don’t understand how they can be so fantastic on the road and so bad at home.

I would think the two options are that maybe GG is so bad that since he can’t line match on the road then the team is able to shine or maybe since they ostensibly run the same system at home and on the road there’s something about playing at home that affects the team differently. But you can’t blame the coach for that second one so I don’t know that it’s a good reason.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #50
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
What's the point of picking up Shore and Stewart if they are just sitting around and not in a game?
Depth in case of injuries.

Cost basically nothing. Not sure criticism is warranted.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #51
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont know if I'm more disappointed that he has to keep scolding his players like a third-rate school teacher or that he keeps harping on 'The Right Way.'

He sounds more like a Cult Leader than an NHL Coach.
Well he wouldn't have to do that if the majority of the team followed directions instead of not breaking their bad habits and continually make stupid decisions.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Well he wouldn't have to do that if the majority of the team followed directions instead of not breaking their bad habits and continually make stupid decisions.
Whose stupid decisions? His or theirs?

You're talking like GG's system if played to perfection, is magic.

"Just do as I say and everything will be fine!"

There is no such thing as a perfect system.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #53
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
He sounds exactly like Brent Sutter.
I was gonna say that.

Quote:

Yup, when the other team has a counter for GG's system, it's the players not sticking to his system, did I get it right?

Last edited by midniteowl; 03-12-2018 at 02:48 PM.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #54
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't.
I'd suggest the problem is, its not in his nature to get outwardly emotional and appear unhinged that leads to things like stick throwing and shouting expletives. Its not part of his style.

So when he's critisized for being a players' coach who is easy to get along with, and when he's embattled like he is now and he was the day before the stick-throwing, he does something emotional.

I don't think the players believe it. After the stick throwing even Giordano was on camera snickering about it. That being said, it seems to have worked as they went on a win streak.

We'll see how this latest tirade shakes up, but its just not GG's style. One issue seems to be his usual lack of outward emotion seems to be percolating down to lack of intensity from the players.

If Daryl Sutter chewed you out, he didn't even need to yell. His mannerisms were such you knew if you were in the doghouse, and he could even say nice things protecting the players to the media but behind the scenes his dry nature carried weight. GG does not seem to carry weight with these players in that they execute his sytems which aren't working, methodically, and without emotion, just like the coach.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #55
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
I'd suggest the problem is, its not in his nature to get outwardly emotional and appear unhinged that leads to things like stick throwing and shouting expletives. Its not part of his style.

So when he's critisized for being a players' coach who is easy to get along with, and when he's embattled like he is now and he was the day before the stick-throwing, he does something emotional.

I don't think the players believe it. After the stick throwing even Giordano was on camera snickering about it. That being said, it seems to have worked as they went on a win streak.

We'll see how this latest tirade shakes up, but its just not GG's style. One issue seems to be his usual lack of outward emotion seems to be percolating down to lack of intensity from the players.

If Daryl Sutter chewed you out, he didn't even need to yell. His mannerisms were such you knew if you were in the doghouse, and he could even say nice things protecting the players to the media but behind the scenes his dry nature carried weight. GG does not seem to carry weight with these players in that they execute his sytems which aren't working, methodically, and without emotion, just like the coach.
It may have seemed like the players, including Gio, were snickering, but they were asked a pointed and specific question, being "How do you rate Gully's stick throw?" The question elicited the type of response.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #56
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Whenever they play the system and everyone brings their lunchpails it is magic. This team is basically an unstoppable when all 4 lines are firing and they play the right way. See: season saving, franchise tying winning streak last year, 7 game streak this year
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #57
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol, they call that a rant? Seems like a normal coaching/teaching situation to me. As mentioned above, NHL coaches drop f-bombs all the time. Why is this a big news story?
full video

https://www.bardown.com/glen-gulutza...tice-1.1024768

it's not a rant, it's coaching.

like I said in the GG thread.

it's not the message that gets me, it's the timing.

why, with 13 games left, is GG having to teach this group basics and decision making and taking risks.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #58
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a coaching thing, maybe a bit more swears then usual but no more then these guys are used to. Non story. You figure though that GG rips them in the room post 1st period not the next day in some unrelated drill.

It’s a bigger deal on the TSN page because Franklin in all his years here is a wallflower, provides no insight or opinion, and his only claim to fame is asking inane, cliched and sometimes duplicated questions in Flames pressers, so any value he actually adds from the Calgary sport scene is jumped all over by his eastern bosses.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #59
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are multiple threads where there is debate about showing up ready to play. And there seem to be some misunderstandings.

Showing up not ready to play, at lest with the current Flames team, is not about laziness or not caring. It's about not having a gameplan or a mindset that has them in a position to succeed.

Hockey is a game that needs to be played with passion, with emotion, with instincts (not having to think) , and most of all, with confidence.

The Flames come to the rink worried about what the other team is doing, worried about where they are supposed to be, worried about what their role is, and far too confused to play a simple confident game.

THAT'S how they're not ready. It has nothing to do with motivation.

And Gulutzan yelling at them about where they should be in practice is going to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with respect to getting them ready to play Edmonton.

Last edited by Enoch Root; 03-12-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like when Gully gets public with his anger with the team. It typically is good for a short stretch of good play which is needed on the eve of another BOA.

They lose badly tomorrow it has to be his fate and the teams as well
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote