Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the Burrows trade was a slam dunk. Hard to argue against Granlund as well.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #22
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know he’s Benning doesn’t have the best rep in the league a d everyone calls him Dim Jim. But the fact that the they’ve fielded a relatively competitive roster despite the injuries and lack of talent is pretty impressive. They’re right there with the Oilers and one team has McDavid and the other one doesn’t. There’s some good prospects in the pipeline and they drafted well recently, so I don’t think he’s been nearly as bad as everyone thinks.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #23
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's improved since he first started with them. Good for them to have some stability going forward. They will be drafting probably in the top 5 this year.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
This proofs that us casual internet hockey fans know absolutely NOTHING about the world of hockey management.

First Pierre Dorian signing, now Jim Benning. Next up I bet Chia will get a brand new extension too......

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennings not as bad as he's made out to be. The organization seems to have finally bought into somewhat of a rebuild, and he's gotten some great pieces.

I actually like the outlook for the Canucks much more then the Oilers. Sure they have McD, Draisatl and a playoff run last season. But not much else, and the entire organisation is in shambles from top to bottom. Still very much run by the OBC.

I can actually see a light at the end of the tunnel for the Canucks. For the Oilers, that light is the train coming right at them.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I know he’s Benning doesn’t have the best rep in the league a d everyone calls him Dim Jim. But the fact that the they’ve fielded a relatively competitive roster despite the injuries and lack of talent is pretty impressive. They’re right there with the Oilers and one team has McDavid and the other one doesn’t. There’s some good prospects in the pipeline and they drafted well recently, so I don’t think he’s been nearly as bad as everyone thinks.
This is not a fact. The Canucks are one of the worst teams in the NHL and not remotely competitive.

Benning will prove his mettle this summer with the Sedins, Baertschi, Granlund, and Virtanen entering free agency. The Canucks have only one defenseman signed past next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news for Brady Tkachuk.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #28
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah, at least the Canucks can draft reasonably well.

They're not good with free agent contracts under Benning, nor have they convincingly won any trades, but at least they can draft.

The Oilers can't do ANY of those things well.
Virtanen over Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin
Joulevi over Tkachuk, Keller

Not sure Petterson is going to pan out.

He gets love for Boeser rightfully so but I don’t think he has made the right picks with his high draft choices.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #29
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah, at least the Canucks can draft reasonably well.

They're not good with free agent contracts under Benning, nor have they convincingly won any trades, but at least they can draft.

The Oilers can't do ANY of those things well.
There are so few free agent signings that are good that I don't even count them, they are almost all overpayments for players whose best years are behind them. I would argue that Vanek has been a good stopgap and that he has helped in the maturation of Boeser if all indications are correct.

After that his trades with Calgary have worked out reasonably well Granlund will play more games for the Canucks than Shinkaruk will with the Flames. In a third line role so it is a minor win, but a win none the less. Baertschi for a second seems to be a trade that was a win for both teams as well, he isn't a driver but he is a good second line player on the Canucks which is a good return for a second round pick.

Burrows and Hansen trades were good returns on players on the downside of their careers as well.

The Gudbranson trade was bad in my opinion, not because I don't like him as a player but because I don't see the point in picking up a depth type 4/5 defenseman for a team that isn't making the playoffs and giving up a young player + draft picks in the process. Same thing with the Forsling for Clendening trade... just a pointless trade

The Kesler trade I can't hold against him because when trading a player with a NMC it really limits the potential return.

The drafting has been good though - there have been some misses (Virtanen and Juolevi come to mind but they are still both young players with potential - just the early returns are not good). However the strength of Benning and his scouting team is to find good players in the draft - Petterson, Lind, Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling, and Gaudette come to mind as players who look like great picks in the past few years. Now keeping them has been a different story.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #30
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is not a fact. The Canucks are one of the worst teams in the NHL and not remotely competitive.

Benning will prove his mettle this summer with the Sedins, Baertschi, Granlund, and Virtanen entering free agency. The Canucks have only one defenseman signed past next season.
Don't worry about that one. Here's a list of Benning's pro scouting aquisitions on defense in the last 4 years:

Sbisa
Clendening
Pedan
Bartkowski
Gudbranson
Larsen
Del Zotto
Pouliot

And it's not like those guys were free, all together they cost an entire draft's worth of picks to acquire. 4 years and a bunch of assets later, and he hasn't been able to acquire a single top 4 defenseman.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #31
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

He gets love for Boeser rightfully so but I don’t think he has made the right picks with his high draft choices.
The 19 year old who was just rated the best prospect and is leading the Swedish Hockey League in scoring with a near record pace? He needs to fill out more but that is looking like a stellar pick at the moment.

Joulevi I would preach patience with, forwards develop faster than defensemen traditionally but I agree, Tkachuk does look like a missed opportunity for that hard hitting, skillled, pest player that teams love to have.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he saved his job last season with some really astute moves. Made a lot of mistakes in the first few years of his tenure but their prospect base looks pretty good today as does the head coach. I don't see the issue at all with this extension.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #33
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Lol Pettersson might be the best drafted prospect in the world right now (i hate to say it), that was a good pick
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #34
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he has been pretty solid from the draft prospective (which IIRC was what he was known for). Long term, for what he has had to work with he is setting them up for future success (The Tkchuck miss aside).
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #35
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
This proofs that us casual internet hockey fans know absolutely NOTHING about the world of hockey management.

First Pierre Dorian signing, now Jim Benning. Next up I bet Chia will get a brand new extension too......
I'm hoping!
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #36
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Lol Pettersson might be the best drafted prospect in the world right now (i hate to say it), that was a good pick
Why is he not on the Olympic team?

I am not saying he is going to be a bust but at 6’2 160lbs he could be years away from making an impact. Considering Sam Bennett is a certified bust at 21 the clock is ticking on Petterson
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Considering Sam Bennett is a certified bust at 21 the clock is ticking on Petterson
He was literally drafted last summer. What the heck are you talking about?

Cali panthers fan had it right. Benning can draft, but can't sign players. The Sbisa and Dorsett contracts were insanity that he got out of by luck, and he looks like he might go right back and do it again this summer with Gudbranson. Trades have been mostly a wash. Basically, the guy would be great to have in your organization... as a head scout.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #38
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why is he not on the Olympic team?

I am not saying he is going to be a bust but at 6’2 160lbs he could be years away from making an impact. Considering Sam Bennett is a certified bust at 21 the clock is ticking on Petterson
SEL stats are amongst the most reliable in terms of translating to the nhl.
The kid is gooooooood
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #39
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:

Flames also took Bennett over those guys.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Flames also took Bennett over those guys.
The Flames are 2/3 in their top-ten draft selections in that time. The Canucks are 1/4 so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote