Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [Countdown] Matt Stajan: 1,000 Games Played (17 Games Remaining)

Stajan has been a Flame for 8 years this month. I'm probably not the only one who is surprised by how quick those 8 years have blown by, but I thought "Good guy" Matt Stajan's 1,000th NHL game deserved a bit of a countdown.

January 31st, 2010:

Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs announced on Sunday that they have made a seven-player deal with Calgary, with Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf the centrepiece.
Forwards Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan and Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White head to the Flames, with forward Fredrik Sjostrom and defensive prospect Keith Aulie also acquired by Toronto.
Matt Stajan responds to being traded:

Matt Stajan's 1st goal as a Calgary Flame:

Matt Stajan scores...:

Matt Stajan's biggest goal as a Flame:

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-16-2018 at 11:21 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

That penalty shot...
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I'll never forget that playoff goal. It's one of my greatest memories as a fan.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He has done Calgary some good service and we hope he finds enjoyment in his days after playing in the NHL. Excellent team guy!
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

He has actually been playing well of late, but there is no hiding the fact his foot speed is a full notch below where it had been and it hurts the club at times.

That being said, it is no small feat to play 1000 games in this league and he deserves all the accolades that come with it.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The loss of a step really hurt anything he had going offensively as he gets caught easily by defenders on the rush and just can't afford to get caught out of position. Still though great guy and hard worker and I'm happy to see him close to 1000 games played.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Worth mentioning that it appears Matt and Katie are expecting another baby boy!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeQfpPnhXtp/
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

That penalty shot gives me chills every time I watch it and I've watched it about 50 times
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matt Stajan has been a pretty polarizing figure over his tenure with the Flames. 8 years...wow. Time really does fly. I'll admit I look forward to the day his contract is no longer on the Flames' roster. But all in all he's a been a decent enough player over the years. Just overpaid is the big complaint. But overall he's been a great ambassador for the team and a part of some big moments.

When you look at his body of work with Calgary, I always felt he was never utilized properly. And that goes back to the Brent Sutter coaching days.

When Stajan was traded here, he was clearly a top 6 C with upside. He was 26 years old, in his prime, and had just come off a 55pts season with the Leafs. The season he was traded here, he had a career high 57 pts.

The next season BSutter started locking down how the players played and you always heard of Stajan being in the dog house. Next thing you know, he goes from decent ice time to start the 2010 season, to playing a much reduced role pretty much the next season. Then by the end, he's playing 4th line minutes. Pretty much ever since then, Stajan has been known as a bottom 6 C almost exclusively.

I've always wanted to get this off my chest. But how did his decline happen so quickly? I remember clear as day Stajan coming on to the team to play an offensive roll, only to have BSutter stifle him and staple him to the bottom lines.

He got increased icetime with Hartley, but IMO that was more to do with the lack of depth at C and wanting to shelter Monahan a bit.

When I see a player who put up offensive numbers like he did at the start of his career, I'd expect him to carry that role at least for a while. But it seems like the minute he got to Calgary, he was forced into this reduced role, and I've always felt that the Flames kind of ''ruined'' him.

Maybe it was the overall team itself mostly sucking during his time here. But I've always felt Stajan was never utilized properly during his prime years here and they got wasted. I'm not saying he was ever going to be a star player. But he had good stats when he was traded here. But for whatever reason, was never really utilized in an offensive role.

Even in a reduced role now where he's clearly lost a step (he was pretty good last season), I'm hoping he can make the 1000 games and get his shiny stick. He's been a true class act his entire time here, and I feel he really did play a big part in ensuring the rebuild passed by (overall) pretty smoothly.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's done and he struggles mightily to keep up with the pace of the NHL but minus that Jets game he's been playing a lot better over the last 2 weeks. Still could be tough for him to get but hope he gets 1000 games.

Would be an amazing way for him to finish off his NHL career.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

That goal against Vancouver was an incredible moment that stood out in one of the better playoff games of the past couple decades, and will likely stand out as most fan's favorite Matt Stajan hockey memory.

8 years has flown. Clearly a very well liked teammate and good for him on getting close to 1000, I hope he makes it.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I don't know if I have ever been as hard on a player as I have been with Stajan.

He grows on you though. I cheer for him because you can tell his teammates love him and he's heart and soul when he's chirping the refs and opponents.

Still good at face offs and in a limited roll.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hartley would've let him play his 999th game and then bench him for the rest of the season. Because mental warfare.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

One of my all-time most respected Flames. He’s been a warrior since day one, has done whatever has been asked of him and has never complained about ice time or role, not once. A true leader. Great thread!
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #15
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I remember clear as day Stajan coming on to the team to play an offensive roll, only to have BSutter stifle him and staple him to the bottom lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Still good at face offs and in a limited roll.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #16
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of got me all excited with the first two words in the title. Then, it was anti-climax from there.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stajan has played 526 of those 971 as a Calgary Flame, playing 7435 minutes for them.

Only Giordano has played more with 719gp and 15987 minutes.

Next closest is Backlund with 507 gp for the Flames.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #18
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another good one.

And Joe Bowen.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #19
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
One of my all-time most respected Flames. He’s been a warrior since day one, has done whatever has been asked of him and has never complained about ice time or role, not once. A true leader. Great thread!
Not to rain on the Stajan parade, but it's not like anyone else currently on the Flames is or has been moping around because they're not getting enough ice time. They wouldn't be here if so. Stajan's role is befitting of his skill set, not the other way around. I'm sure he doesn't care one way or the other so long as his cheque's are clearing.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Not to rain on the Stajan parade, but it's not like anyone else currently on the Flames is or has been moping around because they're not getting enough ice time. They wouldn't be here if so. Stajan's role is befitting of his skill set, not the other way around. I'm sure he doesn't care one way or the other so long as his cheque's are clearing.
Maybe not now, but it wasn't too long ago that players did. Glencross, for sure.
Plenty of players think they would get more points and enjoy more success farther up the lineup, with more ice time. There was a hint of that in Brouwer's in-game interview.